Jags give Mike Williams $2 million SB

Lurker

Per the Buffalo News:

Elsewhere, former Bills tackle Mike Williams, cut by Buffalo a week before free agency, signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars. Williams got a two-year deal worth $5 million with a $2 million signing bonus.

C'mon, we were scheduled to pay the guy 7 mill this season!! They're probably giving him half that this season and less the next. If we could have had him at that salary, we should have kept him. Problem was that Mike needed the change of scenery. I wouldn't be surprised to see him succeed down there, though I also wouldn't be surprised to see him enjoying time on the bench with a burrito.

Point is, physical gifts and talent always get a second chance. Even Tony Mandarich got a second chance. We'll see if Donahoe is right on this one and Mike ends up being what he should have been all along.

This shows the sheer stupidity of the guy.  He could have easily made more than this in Buffalo, had he agreed to restructure.

630247[/snapback]

I don't think we wanted him regardless. In fact, all the reports I had heard were that he was willing to restructure.

If he stays healthy, in two years he could command some big money again.

This shows the sheer stupidity of the guy.  He could have easily made more than this in Buffalo, had he agreed to restructure.

630247[/snapback]

Yep, he probably could have got at least a $3 million SB here on a restucture. My guess is he wanted out of the frozen tundra and was happy to take a 'mil less to play somewhere else.

630247[/snapback]

You're probably right, GG, but the difference is probably a million or so a year and the guy just had worn out his welcome in Buffalo. He sensed that. The guy probably already has more than he ever dreamed of from his rookie contract, and we don't know Mike to be a high-desire guy in any respect. Perhaps he just wanted to get to the southern sun to see what happens.

I don't think we wanted him regardless. In fact, all the reports I had heard were that he was willing to restructure.

If he stays healthy, in two years he could command some big money again.

630249[/snapback]

I don't recall that. I remember him turning the Bills down in spring '05, and management talking about wishing to keep him, but would need to rework the contract as a back up. Both sides would have been better served if he accepted Bills' restructuring offers, and stayed here as a back up.

I don't recall that.  I remember him turning the Bills down in spring '05, and management talking about wishing to keep him, but would need to rework the contract as a back up.  Both sides would have been better served if he accepted Bills' restructuring offers, and stayed here as a back up.

630357[/snapback]

he did say at one point at season's end this year or shortly thereafter that he was ok with restructuring. no link, but it was in one of the local papers. the jig was up by that point, though.

he did say at one point at season's end this year or shortly thereafter that he was ok with restructuring. no link, but it was in one of the local papers. the jig was up by that point, though.

630377[/snapback]

The guy needed to take a pay cut...not a restructure.....

Restructures are done by excellent players to help the team with the cap and

at the same time earn their money at the beginning of the season rather than

through the season.....MW was not an excellent player on this team, like a

TKO or a Fletcher....

Point is, physical gifts and talent always get a second chance.  Even Tony Mandarich got a second chance.  We'll see if Donahoe is right on this one and Mike ends up being what he should have been all along.

630244[/snapback]

That's true he will get a second chance and who know maybe he'll be successful. With the Bills he had his moments where he showed that he could be really good. When he was in their run blocking he did a good job.

We'll see if Donahoe is right on this one and Mike ends up being what he should have been all along.

630244[/snapback]

If he doesn't, then Donahoe will lament those darn injuries. I mean, who would ever think that a strapping 400 lb. man could ever have difficulty staying healthy?