Triplett- 5 years/$18 million/$ 5.5 SB

So probably about a $2.6-$3.1 million cap hit in the first two years?

Year 1: $1.5 million salary, $1.1 million pro rated SB

Year 2: $2.0 million...

Year 3: $2.5 million...

Year 4: $3.0 million...

Year 5: $3.5 million...

Total: $12.5 million salary, $5.5 million SB

Sam Adams was taking up $3.8 million last year, so Marv's still keeping within the budget for the DT postion with a younger guy.

USA Today

Sorry if this is redundant, but I hadn't seen the contract details posted yet.

625151[/snapback]

He'll make a good rotation DT. Contract is a little high but if you can't draft worth a damn, you have to pay a premium to fill holes. Such is the case. Remember, Sam Adams was on an incentive loaded deal for that kind of money and he was a Pro Bowler and a Pro Bowl alternate the past two seasons. The Triplett deal would look a lot better if Adams was still in tow. Triplett won't play at that level, and he will have a hard time even making plays like he did last year on a team that doesn't play with big leads all the time. Upgrade over Tim Anderson though.

USA Today

Sorry if this is redundant, but I hadn't seen the contract details posted yet.

625151[/snapback]

I guess Joe Gibbs didn't exactly dump TE Royal.

[Gibbs is confident the team -- once under the cap -- will be able to re-sign safety Ryan Clark and tight end Robert Royal. Both will be unrestricted free agents.

"What we're hoping is that we're the best place for them. It's a tough situation because what happens with your free agents, you think they fit in at a certain salary level, and they have other ideas. Sometimes you get forced into letting them look. Hopefully in our case, they want to be with us." ]

The fact that Gibbs was hoping to re-sign Royal was encouraging. I am not sure he presents much of an upgrade over Campbell, but that remains to be seen.

Time for some positive news on the nuts and bolts of the O-line.

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20060226-1...9175r_page2.htm

The fact that Gibbs was hoping to re-sign Royal was encouraging. I am not sure he presents much of an upgrade over Campbell, but that remains to be seen.

625169[/snapback]

hey, if he is on the field for the 16 games thats an improvement in itself

hey, if he is on the field for the 16 games thats an improvement in itself

625176[/snapback]

I think I read somewhere that he has suffered season-ending injuries in 2 of the last 3 years.

He'll make a good rotation DT.  Contract is a little high but if you can't draft worth a damn, you have to pay a premium to fill holes.  Such is the case.  Remember, Sam Adams was on an incentive loaded deal for that kind of money and he was a Pro Bowler and a Pro Bowl alternate the past two seasons.  The Triplett deal would look a lot better if Adams was still in tow.  Triplett won't play at that level, and he will have a hard time even making plays like he did last year on a team that doesn't play with big leads all the time.  Upgrade over Tim Anderson though.

625168[/snapback]

C'mon, Sam was too fat to play more than 20 snaps a game. He was dominant 5 yrs ago, but is far into the downside of his career. He was a cancer in the locker room. This is a big improvement, IMO. Would be nice to get another DT (like ngata) to pair with trip and have edwards rotating. That would be a solid, albeit not dominant, Dline.

Big ups to marv on this one. Trip was rated as the 2nd best free agent DT -- what else do you want? Who would be significantly better at a reasonable cost? I am sorry if i listen to the experts rather than someone who watched a couple of Colts games, and wasn't focused on breaking down the Dline play.

Here is Scouts' write up:

Here's what Scouts, Inc. has to say.

Grade 73

(70-74: Good Starter - Good starter who is usually a consistent player with excellent competitiveness and is the heart of the team, but is not a dominant player against the better players he faces on a weekly basis. ... Gives you great effort, and you are glad he is on your team, but he may or may not go to the next level.)

Expert's Take Tripplett has adequate size to play inside on the defensive line and has very good overall athletic ability. He has very good initial foot quickness and has a good explosive get off. He shows that he is capable of getting into the running lanes and being disruptive. He has above average strength and uses his hands well to disengage from blockers. He does an excellent job in stunts and twists and also has the agility to be effective dropping in the zone blitz. He has good lateral movement and has good body control and change of direction skills. He does a good job with play recognition and in re-directing to the ball. He fights hard to get up-field and gives a fairly consistent effort in chase. While he has good quickness off the ball, he tends to come off high and is not effective in holding the line of scrimmage versus the double-team block. He has improved a great deal in his ability to use a variety of pass rush techniques. He is a little inconsistent in his ability to finish, however, he is capable of getting a good push on the pocket. He has developed a bit of a nasty attitude, competes hard and is an aggressive hitter when he gets to the ball carrier.

C'mon, Sam was too fat to play more than 20 snaps a game.  He was dominant 5 yrs ago, but is far into the downside of his career.

625361[/snapback]

Like I said, Adams was in the Pro Bowl in 2004 and was an alternate last year. Not 5years ago. I don't hate the Triplett signing, but don't kill your argument by exxagerating Sam Adams decline. There's a precipitous gap between what Adams brings to the table versus Triplett.

If you expect Triplett to draw double teams and get sudden pressure on QB's like Adams did, you're going to be disappointed. Triplett is like a basketball player who can't create his own shot. Surrounded by stars, he can get his open looks. In Buffalo, he's not going to get those opportunities.

Under good circumstances, Triplett had all of one sack coming into this past season playing the same defense Jauron will employ. His position was considered a point of great weakness, prompting the Colts to sign Corey Simon. In the Bills new system, he's going to be called upon to get at least 6-8 sacks and a ton of pressures. I don't see it happening.

In the Bills new system, he's going to be called upon to get at least 6-8 sacks and a ton of pressures.  I don't see it happening.

625392[/snapback]

I think you're overestimating that sack number a tad too much. In that only three DTs in the entire NFL had 6 or more sacks last season.. While last year numbers were a little low, there are typically less than a dozen of DTs that end up registering more than 6 sacks a season.

In the Bills new system, he's going to be called upon to get at least 6-8 sacks and a ton of pressures.  I don't see it happening.

625392[/snapback]

Which is why, since this signing, I am on the bandwagon (or trolly car) for Bernard. He led the league in DT sacks last year, and would be a good compliment for Tripplett. These guys wouldn't be the "one huge guy, one fast guy" team that is so popular now, but together they would be tough to hold. Both guys can get into the backfield and cause enough disturbance on the line to fill running lanes.

As far as I can tell Bernard hasn't been anwhere. He was supposed to be a lock for St. Louis, but then they signed Glover. Signing him would also open up that number 8 pick.

I think you're overestimating that sack number a tad too much. In that only three DTs in the entire NFL had 6 or more sacks last season.. While last year numbers were a little low, there are typically less than a dozen of DTs that end up registering more than 6 sacks a season.

625422[/snapback]

Sack total isn't really a great indicator, but for the purposes of this discussion it's more of an indicator of impact. He could have 4 sacks again and still have twice the impact he had last year. My point is, IMO, it ain't happening. We don't have the Colts DE's, we don't have Corey Simon and we don't have an offense that will be playing with a big lead for 3 quarters every week to allow our defense to pin it's ears back and rush the QB all day. Not gonna' happen. Triplett is a complementary player who is likely being put into the role as the leader of the DT rotation.