The Facts about Bledsoe

Peter

As I posted earlier in the week, I watched my recording of the Bills-Raiders game again to determine what really happened on the sacks etc.

I know that a lot of you (especially agitators in the media) love to blame everything on DB without bothering to look at what actually happened.

When judging what happened, keep in mind that the goal is to allow the QB at least four seconds.

MM emphasized this in training camp.

Four Second Clock

Anyway, here are the results:

First Sack - 10:10 in the First Quarter

The first sack took place on the Bills' first drive on a first and ten play at the Bills 28. From the snap of the ball until the time the play was blown up, DB had approximately two seconds. Grant was completely unblocked. Shelton ran right by him instead of picking up the blitzing LB. Shelton was completely oblivious to Grant.

Second Sack - 6:27 left in the First Quarter

The second sack took place on the Bills' first drive as well. It was second and fifteen. DB again had approximately two seconds until the play blew up. For those of you who still believe that TH is an adequate pass blocker, you really need to take a look at this play. It shows that he really has not improved since his rookie year. Obviously, not every back is going to be as good as Thurman in pass protection, but this play was ridiculous. TH completely whiffed on Brayton. He put his head down and made what appeared to be a careless attempt to block. I still cannot get over this play. As hard a runner as TH is, that is how bad he is in pass protection. One would think that he would be able to adequately block. I do not know if this is coaching, lack of discipline/desire, or what.

Third Sack - 10:16 Left in the Second Quarter

The third sack took place on the Bills' third drive. It was third and two. It was a roll out to the right (from the offense's perspective. DB had approximately three seconds before the play was blown up. Shelton again was responsible. He was beaten by Clark.

Interception

While I was at it, I also looked at the interception again. It took place on the second play of the Bills' fifth drive. TH played volleyball with the pass, deflected it in the air, and it was intercepted by Buchanan.

Fourth Sack - 6:47 left in the Third Quarter

The fourth sack took place during the Bills' sixth drive. It was third and ten out of the shotgun. DB had approximately two seconds before the play blew up. Mike Williams was beaten by Grant. Grant made Williams think that he was going outside and then cut inside. Williams lost his balance and looked bad doing it.

Was It a Touchdown?

While I was at it, I also looked at the fourth and goal play several times. It was very difficult to definitively determine whether we scored on the play with the television angles that CBS had. My best guess is that we did not score.

A couple of interesting things happened on the play. First, as most of you know because the commentators mentioned it, TH appeared to trip a little bit over Nehuis' foot. Second, the line hardly got any push whatsoever. Guess who did a good job of clogging up the middle for the Raiders? Yes, you guessed it, the guy who used to do the same thing for us. Finally, something that I did not originally notice when I initially watched the game - TH got turned around such that he had his back to the goal line and was looking up into the air. He tried to extend the ball with his right hand so that the ball would cross the goal line. It was very difficult to tell whether he was able to do so at all and whether he was able to do so before his momentum was stopped. Again, the right side of the line did not do him any favors.

Sixth Sack - 7:27 Left in the Fourth Quarter

The sack took place during the Bills' eighth drive. It was third and twenty-three (not a favorable down and distance). DB had just over two seconds. There appeared to be miscommunication between Mike Williams and Ross Tucker. Williams left an inside man (presumably thinking that Tucker would block him) when Tucker shifted to block another inside rusher. Of course, the man who went unblocked (Brayton) participated in the sack. (From what I could see, Williams and not Tucker was the one who made the mental error). The other thing that happened was that there was a blitz by the defensive back (Asomugha) who was lined up opposite our left slot receiver (I could not see who it was). Asomugha also participated in the sack from the opposite side as Brayton. Our slot receiver did NOT break off his pattern as WRs typically are coached to do.

Seventh Sack - 2:17 Left in the Fourth Quarter

The sack took place during the Bills' last drive. It was second and ten. The Bills lined up with four WRs. The Raiders rushed seven players including both defensive backs that were covering our slot receivers. DB had ONE second before the play blew up. Moreover, it did not look like either slot receiver broke off his pattern when he should have seen that his guy was blitzing.

Anyway, that is my take on what happened.

I hope that it was helpful.

I wish guys like Jerry Sullivan and people of like mind would bother to break down the game before trashing guys.

Guest Drew's Agent
As I posted earlier in the week, I watched my recording of the Bills-Raiders game again to determine what really happened on the sacks etc. 

I know that a lot of you (especially agitators in the media) love to blame everything on DB without bothering to look at what actually happened.

When judging what happened, keep in mind that the goal is to allow the QB at least four seconds. 

MM emphasized this in training camp.

Four Second Clock

Anyway, here are the results:

First Sack - 10:10 in the First Quarter

The first sack took place on the Bills' first drive on a first and ten play at the Bills 28.  From the snap of the ball until the time the play was blown up, DB had approximately two seconds.  Grant was completely unblocked.  Shelton ran right by him instead of picking up the blitzing LB.  Shelton was completely oblivious to Grant.

Second Sack - 6:27 left in the First Quarter

The second sack took place on the Bills' first drive as well.  It was second and fifteen.  DB had again had approximately two seconds until the play blew up.  For those of you who stil believe that TH is an adequate pass blocker, you really need to take a look at this play. It shows that he really has not improved since his rookie.  Obviously, not every back is going to be as good as Thurman in pass protection, but this play was ridiculous.  TH completely wiffed on Brayton. He put his head down and made what appeared to be a careless attempt to block.  I still cannot get over this play.  As hard a runner as TH is, that is how bad he is in pass protection.  One would think that he would be able to adequately block.  I do not know if this is coaching, lack of discipline/desire, or what.

Third Sack - 10:16 Left in the Second Quarter

The third sack took place on the Bills' third drive.  It was third and two.  It was a roll out to the right (from the offense's perspective.  DB had approximately three seconds before the play was blown up.  Shelton again was responsible.  He was beaten by Clark.

Interception

While I was at it, I also looked at the interception again.  It took place on the second play of the Bills' fifth drive.  TH played volleyball with the pass, deflected it in the air, and it was intercepted by Buchanan.

Fourth Sack - 6:47 left in the Third Quarter

The fourth sack took place during the Bills' sixth drive.  It was third and ten out of the shotgun.  DB had approximately two seconds before the play blew up.  Mike William was beatent by Grant.  Grant made Williams think that he was going outside and then cut inside.  Williams lost his balance and looked bad doing it.

Was It a Touchdown? 

While I was at it, I also looked at the fourth and goal play several times.  It was very difficult to definitively determine whether we scored on the play with the television angles that CBS had.  My best guess is that we did not score. 

A couple of interesting things happened on the play.  First, as most of you know because the commentators mentioned it, TH appeared to trip a little bit over Nehuis' foot.  Second, the line hardly got any push whatsoever.  Guess who did a good job of clogging up the middle for the Raiders? Yes, you guessed it, the guy who used to do the same thing for us. Finally, something that I did not originally notice when I initially watched the game - TH got turned around such that he had his back to the goal line and was looking up into the air.  He tried to extend the ball with his right hand so that the ball would cross the goal line.  It wa very difficult to tell whether he was able to do so at all and whether he was able to do so before his momentum was stopped.  Again, the right side of the line did not do him any favors.

Sixth Sack - 7:27 Left in the Fourth Quarter

The sack took place during the Bills' eighth drive.  It was third and twenty-three (not a favorable down and distance).  DB had just over two seconds.  There appeared to be miscommunication between Mike Williams and Ross Tucker. Williams left an inside man (presumably thinking that Tucker would block him) when Tucker shifted to block another inside rusher.  Of course, the man who went unblocked (Brayton) participated on the sack.  (From what I could see, Williams and not Tucker was the one who made the mental error).  The other thing that happened was that there was a blitz by the defensive back (Asomugha) who was lined up opposite our left slot receiver (I could not see who it was).  Asomugha also participated in the sack from the opposite side as Brayton.  Our slot receiver did NOT break off his pattern as WRs typically are coached to do.

Seventh Sack - 2:17 Left in the Fourth Quarter

The sack took place during the Bills' last drive.  It was second and ten.  The Bills lined up with four WRs.  The Raiders rushed seven players including the both defensive backs that were covering our slot receivers.  DB has ONE second before the play blew up.  Moreover, it did not look like either slot receiver broke off his pattern when he should have seen that his guy was blitzing.

Anyway, that is my take on what happened.

I hope that it was helpful. 

I wish guys like Jerry Sullivan and people of like mind would bother to break down the game before trashing guys.

45889[/snapback]

Excellent analysis. I am entering my proposal to recoup all of Drew's salary from the restructuring today. If the Bills only had Shields, Ogden, Pace. Mawae, Steinbach, Tomlinson, Owens, Harrison, Gonazales, and Luke Lawton, Drew would be great. I'm calling Donohoe right now.

Nice post.

I agree that Bledsoe did not have enough time in the pocket on the plays when he was sacked...

I'm more concerned with what he did (or rather didn't do) on the plays where protection wasn't as bad.

The fourth sack took place during the Bills' sixth drive.  It was third and ten out of the shotgun.  DB had approximately two seconds before the play blew up.  Mike Williams was beaten by Grant.  Grant made Williams think that he was going outside and then cut inside.  Williams lost his balance and looked bad doing it.
The sack took place during the Bills' eighth drive.  It was third and twenty-three (not a favorable down and distance).  DB had just over two seconds.  There appeared to be miscommunication between Mike Williams and Ross Tucker. Williams left an inside man (presumably thinking that Tucker would block him) when Tucker shifted to block another inside rusher.  Of course, the man who went unblocked (Brayton) participated on the sack.  (From what I could see, Williams and not Tucker was the one who made the mental error). 

Williams is still the weakest link on the line. :flirt:

You count like John Kerry speaks, VERY SLOW.

45892[/snapback]

Stop with the "fuzzy math." I used the clock on the screen. By the way, two and three are between one and four. My two year old already has learned this.

Stop with the "fuzzy math." I used the clock on the screen.  By the way, two and three are between one and four.  My two year old already has learned this.

45899[/snapback]

I agree, but what about those horrible decisions and inaccurate passes?

According to the official stat-keepers of the NFL (Stats, INC.), Bledsoe has had 7 (good) passes dropped and has thrown 7 bad passes.  His completion percentage is over 60% despite those.

45993[/snapback]

That is a very good point.

According to the official stat-keepers of the NFL (Stats, INC.), Bledsoe has had 7 (good) passes dropped and has thrown 7 bad passes. His completion percentage is over 60% despite those.

You still haven't answered Todd's question about his decision-making. Fortunately for Drew, I don't think anyone outside teh Bills org keeps a stat for that.

Cya

You still haven't answered Todd's question about his decision-making. Fortunately for Drew, I don't think anyone outside teh Bills org keeps a stat for that.

Cya

46270[/snapback]

Well, it must be hard to decide whether or not to get another concussion, or perhaps a broken leg while playing behind the likes of the Bills OL. :rolleyes:

Cya

46270[/snapback]

Well you'd have to list the examples of "horrible decision-making." And realize that "horrible decision-making" involves a lot more variables and complexities than just figuring out whether a good pass was dropped or he threw a bad pass.

Well you'd have to list the examples of "horrible decision-making."

I have neither the time nor inclination to pore over a bunch of film and present facts and findings to somebody who is going to refute them because they have already convinced themselves that this issue has no other viable opinion than their own.

Drew regularly makes horrible decisions with the ball and has for a long time now. And regardless of how many times you say it, it doesn't mean it's not true.

I am willing to give him a chance with this staff though, and so far results are mixed: better than they were last year but not as good as I was hoping for.

Cya

I have neither the time nor inclination to pore over a bunch of film and present facts and findings to somebody who is going to refute them because they have already convinced themselves that this issue has no other viable opinion than their own.

Likewise Simon. But I've considered every aspect of this whole situation. I can't understand how Drew went from the 1st 8 games of 2002 to the last 8 games of 2002 (last year was no interior O-line and then the loss of Moulds)? I mean it's not like he hasn't had more than a few good games with the Bills, despite Gilbride, and I count the Jags game among them.

Drew regularly makes horrible decisions with the ball and has for a long time now. And regardless of how many times you say it, it doesn't mean it's not true.

I am willing to give him a chance with this staff though, and so far results are mixed: better than they were last year but not as good as I was hoping for.

46309[/snapback]

I'm come right out and say that the results on offense are far from mixed: they're lousy. I am thoroughly disappointed in Clements and think the sooner Mularkey replaces him, the better off the Bills will be. I know that's not giving Clements enough time, but not having enough time is a recurring theme with the Bills' offense.

So basically what you're saying is that every time he only has 2 seconds to throw he's going to take a sack instead of reacting to the pressure by dumping it off, sliding in the pocket, or throwing the ball away?

I've seen TONS of QBs have guys come unblocked at them and many times they still make positive plays. That rarely happens with Drew.

Jimmy Johnson had an accurate statement at the half of the Indy/GB game today when he said, "defenses should defense good QBs and Blitz bad ones." Tell me, what do defenses do against Drew? And I don't even want to hear the oline argument, if the D sends more players than the O have blockers someone is going to come free, its up to the QB to make a play.

So basically what you're saying is that every time he only has 2 seconds to throw he's going to take a sack instead of reacting to the pressure by dumping it off, sliding in the pocket, or throwing the ball away?

I've seen TONS of QBs have guys come unblocked at them and many times they still make positive plays.  That rarely happens with Drew.

Jimmy Johnson had an accurate statement at the half of the Indy/GB game today when he said, "defenses should defense good QBs and Blitz bad ones."  Tell me, what do defenses do against Drew?  And I don't even want to hear the oline argument, if the D sends more players than the O have blockers someone is going to come free, its up to the QB to make a play.

46334[/snapback]

You and Jimmy Johnson are right. Now, all we can do is hope that Losman doesn't get maimed behind this pile of stevestojan, but history tells us that he will.

It is still a game of blocking and tackling.

I've seen TONS of QBs have guys come unblocked at them and many times they still make positive plays.  That rarely happens with Drew.

Jimmy Johnson had an accurate statement at the half of the Indy/GB game today when he said, "defenses should defense good QBs and Blitz bad ones."  Tell me, what do defenses do against Drew?  And I don't even want to hear the oline argument, if the D sends more players than the O have blockers someone is going to come free, its up to the QB to make a play.

46334[/snapback]

Good post and right on the money. Whenever I watch Drew in the pocket and some Bill lineman or back blows his blocking assignment, I immediately think "SACK." And yet watching some of the other QB's in today's games, I see that this doesn't have to be the case. Peyton Manning, for instance, is just as immobile as Drew and yet still does an excellent job of sidestepping or throwing the ball away when his blocking up front begins to disintegrate.

Drew doesn't alleviate the mistakes of his teammates; he magnifies them.

Good post and right on the money. Whenever I watch Drew in the pocket and some Bill lineman or back blows his blocking assignment, I immediately think "SACK." And yet watching some of the other QB's in today's games, I see that this doesn't have to be the case. Peyton Manning, for instance, is just as immobile as Drew and yet still does an excellent job of sidestepping or throwing the ball away when his blocking up front begins to disintegrate.

Drew doesn't alleviate the mistakes of his teammates; he magnifies them.

46361[/snapback]

Exactly what I was thinking when I was watching Manning today. Green Bay tried to blitz him over and over again and Peyton handled it. He burned the blitz. Now it could be the Bills dont have decent recievers. Ones that read that a blitz is coming and make adjustments to thier routes so Drew can dump it off quickly. This is what happened to Brees today in his game with the Broncos. They blitzed him alot as well but it appeared that he wasnt getting any help from his wide outs.