Favorite independent or obscure movie

Dante

Boondock Saints is mainstream.

Best movie no one has heard of?  Withou ta doubt, Requiem for a Dream.

45656[/snapback]

I would have to agree that Boondock Saints is Mainstream. Nonetheless it IS a very funny movie. It is my favorite black humor film, with "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels" a close second. Snatch is also good...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Putney Swope

45706[/snapback]

Not a bad choice...wouldn't call it one of my all time favorites, but it's hillariuos and cutting edge, even by today's standards. And to the poster of said Nostferatu that's an excellent choice...if any of the posters on this board would give a silent film a chance, that'd be the one. I'd guess most here would like it (or you could check out what I consider the greatest silent of all time, also by F.W. Murnau, Sunrise).

As for "obscure or independent" movies, it all depends on who you're talking to. I could list some movies here that many haven't heard of but in different company they'd say, "who hasn't heard of that?!" (City of God and Requiem for a Dream, two films others mentioned above are pretty mainstream films Imo...not Spider Man mainstream, but they both got plenty of press and did well in theaters). And did somebody seriously answer "Analyze That"? :flirt:

Some of the all time great movies that I'm guessing most here haven't heard of:

Tokyo Drifter - Want to check out one of Tarantino's major influences...Suzuki's color coded gangster flick is fantastic.

Playtime - Jaques Tati was a master of physical comedy and this is his masterpiece.

Bah, I would type of few more but the baby is crying...maybe later.

Eat The Rich (includes Motorhead on the soundtrack as well as a cameo appearance by Lemmy Killmister)

NY Times review

Cold Turkey: terrific cast in this comedy about an entire town that has to give up smoking for a month

imdb: Cold Turkey

I also liked the 2002 film from New Zealand; Whale Rider

imdb: Whale Rider

My favorite is definitely Memento.

Leonard, as a result of a blow to the head during an assault on his wife, has no short-term memory. He's looking for his wife's killer, compensating for his disability by taking Polaroids, annotating them and tattooing important facts on his body. We meet the loquacious Teddy and the seductive Natalie (a barmaid who promises to help) [CARRIE ANNE MOSS] and we glimpse Leonard's wife through memories from before the assault. Leonard also talks about Sammy Jankis, a man he knew with a similar condition.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0209144/

Many of you have probably already heard of Memento, so I'll add a couple documentaries that really impressed me you probably don't know. I have belonged to an independant film club over the last few years and they've introduced me to many I never would have found.

Endurance: Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Expedition (narrated by Liam Neeson)

-Not to be confused with the reenactment thing that was on TV. ...and you thought Buffalo was cold!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264578/

Spellbound

Every spring since 1925, Scripps Howard newspapers sponsor spelling bees at grade schools across the U.S. Ten million kids competed in 1999. This documentary follows eight of them as they win regional bees and prepare for the national contest in D.C. They're from big cities, suburbs, and small towns. We watch them practice, we hear their views on study, competition, victory and defeat. We meet their families: two have single parents, three are children of immigrants. Once in D.C., we watch them compete and listen to their parents between rounds.
Surprisingly engaging and endearing. I never would have picked it on my own.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0334405/

Whats your favorite non Hollywood independent movie. Here's three of my favs.

Clerks(obvious)

Dead Pet

American Movie

45622[/snapback]

Dont know if you've heard, but Kevin Smith's next movie is a sequel to Clerks called "The Passion of The Clerks". Its 10 years later and Dante and Randall are still at the store, and still frustrated with popular culture. Should be really friggin funny, I cant wait for it.

"City of God" is probably the best movie I have seen in the last 5 years, indie or Hollywood. If you have not seen it, you have to!  It is a Brazillian movie, you can watch it on DVD with sub-titles or dubbed.  This is not some "boring art film", but a very quick paced, funny, tragic film about the gangs that are overrunning the streets of Brazils poorest cities.  It is based on a true story, and is not dull, even for a second!  I think of it as a Brazillian "Goodfelllas" in a strange way.  It owes some techinique credit to Tarantino, but has much more depth than any of his films.  The music is awesome.  It got eliminated for Oscar consideration, because the Brazilian film institute (government run) did not submitt it on time.  Brazillians are known for their procrastinating.  I will warn, the film is a little violent at times, so if you are adverse to that kind of thing, I am sorry for you.

45636[/snapback]

Can I second this film?? What a GREAT movie. I was searching 5 video stores trying to find it after i rented it. Thank the God for the internet.

Some other recomendations:

21 Grams

Rushmore

The Big Lebowski

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (*could* be considered mainstream)

Dr. Strangelove

Taxi Driver

Jackie Brown (the 'other' Tarintino movie)