Michael Huff with the 8th pick

Does Huff really have the rep (the good stuff ,not the bad) that a Sean Taylor had in college? I know Taylor was dominating, but I don't get the same sense from Huff. I think Huff is really, really good and won't be upset if we take himhowever, I think Vernon Davis is a FREAK. I mean, I'm trying to think I saw a guy like that. Shannon Sharpe maybe? And if we're into comparisons, would you take Polamalu (Huff) or Sharpe (VD)?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

people get to be free agents because the folks who know them best have chosen not to sign them.

619206[/snapback]

Don't remind me. That's how we got stuck w/ that damn Takeo Spikes.

I wouldn't want to think I'm going to get two defensive tackles an offensive tackle and a guard out of free agency alone.  Our first picks in the draft should really be need picks.

619206[/snapback]

I don't think every need can be addressed via free agency, but I do think we can help our offensive line w/ an experienced interior lineman (LeCharles Bentley, perhaps?) and then get a run stuffer for our D line (Ma'ake Kemoeatu of Baltimore; though interest in him is heating up, he still wouldn't break the bank to acquire). Now, if nothing is done in free agency to address the lines, then I'm all for using the first pick to address needs there, as long as we don't reach. You don't just take someone to fill a need if you can get a better player (like Huff) or if the player isn't quite the caliber of the pick (after Ferguson, there's NO offensive lineman I'd take w/ the 8th overall pick).

Now, if there's a trade down, it would depend on where we're trading down to. If we're moving down just a few spots, I'd LOVE to see us address our pass rush by drafting Tamba Hali of PENN STATE. If we're talking about moving down toward the end of the round, then I'd love to see us get a stud like Max Jean-Gilles, the massive road grader who would really help solidify our interior line @ guard.

Does Huff really have the rep (the good stuff ,not the bad) that a Sean Taylor had in college? I know Taylor was dominating, but I don't get the same sense from Huff. I think Huff is really, really good and won't be upset if we take himhowever, I think Vernon Davis is a FREAK. I mean, I'm trying to think I saw a guy like that. Shannon Sharpe maybe? And if we're into comparisons, would you take Polamalu (Huff) or Sharpe (VD)?

619211[/snapback]

no, he doesn't have the rep that taylor had, but the reason is that reed was blowing up in the NFL when taylor was coming out of a very exciting miami program.

huff was far and away the best player on the texas D.

the biggest thing is huff can hit and cover well AND has a nose for the ball and knows the game.

if he is in your D you can do all kinds of things with him which makes him more like reed than roy williams or taylor.

the positive thing is roy or taylor can be used against you if they have to get depth and are far from the line, huff is perhaps at his best out there.

davis is prolly a better prospect at TE than huff is at DB, but both are much better at their positions than many other prospects are at theirs

Don't remind me.  That's how we got stuck w/ that damn Takeo Spikes.

I don't think every need can be addressed via free agency, but I do think we can help our offensive line w/ an experienced interior lineman (LeCharles Bentley, perhaps?) and then get a run stuffer for our D line (Ma'ake Kemoeatu of Baltimore; though interest in him is heating up, he still wouldn't break the bank to acquire).  Now, if nothing is done in free agency to address the lines, then I'm all for using the first pick to address needs there, as long as we don't reach.  You don't just take someone to fill a need if you can get a better player (like Huff) or if the player isn't quite the caliber of the pick (after Ferguson, there's NO offensive lineman I'd take w/ the 8th overall pick). 

Now, if there's a trade down, it would depend on where we're trading down to.  If we're moving down just a few spots, I'd LOVE to see us address our pass rush by drafting Tamba Hali of PENN STATE.  If we're talking about moving down toward the end of the round, then I'd love to see us get a stud like Max Jean-Gilles, the massive road grader who would really help solidify our interior line @ guard.

619264[/snapback]

As much as we could use the picks, I think an impact player at #8 would be awesome for the team. The possibility of having a difference maker is something that we could be positive about.

I'd have no problems taking Huff in round 1, provided Ferguson is off the board.

618966[/snapback]

I agree there, but like others have said, it'll take a miracle to have D'Brick fall to 8. If he does though, we snag him in a heartbeat

to whoever said they said this a month ago and got blasted, sorry I might not have seen your post.

I very much agree with your Huff ideal. I went to the Rose Bowl game and after Vince Young, he was clearly the best Longhorn on the field. Because of his speed, Bush couldn't get to the outside as easily. In addition, he appeared to be a great hitter.

When you are in the Top 10 of the draft, the best available football player should normally be the choice.

As much as we could use the picks, I think an impact player at #8 would be awesome for the team.  The possibility of having a difference maker is something that we could be positive about.

619304[/snapback]

Sure would, but there's a chance that most of the true impact players will be taken by our pick.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson? Gone, more than likely

Mario Williams? Gone, more than likely

A.J. Hawk? Gone, more thank likely

While I don't think Haloti Ngata will be a bust, I don't think he's the level of difference maker that those 3 will be.

[i didn't include guys like Reggie Bush or Vince Young because we certainly don't need to go after skill players.]

Don't remind me.  That's how we got stuck w/ that damn Takeo Spikes.

619264[/snapback]

to be fair, Cincy tried to re-sign him, but he refused. Tenny was suggesting that most FA's aren't picked up by their former teams by choice.

The only problem I have with drafting Huff is that the Bills already have so much tied up in the defensive backfield. Clements is going to cost the Bills $6M this year, McGee nearly $20M over the next few years, and Troy Vincent doesn't exactly make pocket change. That's a lot of money tied up in one area of the team. Given that, I likely would not select him.

That said, he should be an excellent SS if the Bills were to pick him.

to be fair, Cincy tried to re-sign him, but he refused. Tenny was suggesting that most FA's aren't picked up by their former teams by choice.

619336[/snapback]

True, but "by choice" can mean more than just 'this player sucks and isn't worth the money'. Some teams just can't afford to keep players and others make judgment calls on a player (hit the wall, injury prone, character issue, etc.).

I agree there, but like others have said, it'll take a miracle to have D'Brick fall to 8.  If he does though, we snag him in a heartbeat

to whoever said they said this a month ago and got blasted, sorry I might not have seen your post.

619306[/snapback]

No problem,the self proclaimed expert`s on here just take a little longer after reading alot more post`s. :blink:

True, but "by choice" can mean more than just 'this player sucks and isn't worth the money'.  Some teams just can't afford to keep players and others make judgment calls on a player (hit the wall, injury prone, character issue, etc.).

619375[/snapback]

Certainly you are correct, but the free agent pool does seem to be diminishing in quality, especially at positions that the Bills need.

Then again, it could truly be me. :D:blink:

davis is prolly a better prospect at TE than huff is at DB, but both are much better at their positions than many other prospects are at theirs

619302[/snapback]

The one you're fogetting is about Huff's versatility which I think makes him more valuable than Davis. As I think as a rookie Huff could easily step in at SS and replace Milloy. Yet he's also thought to be good enough that he could play CB which means if somehow can't work out a long term contract with Clements we could shift Huff there in 2007. Not only that but Huff could overtake Greer/King as our nickel back this year and let us pursue someone else to take one of their roster spots.

The one you're fogetting is about Huff's versatility which I think makes him more valuable than Davis. As I think as a rookie Huff could easily step in at SS and replace Milloy. Yet he's also thought to be good enough that he could play CB which means if somehow can't work out a long term contract with Clements we could shift Huff there in 2007. Not only that but Huff could overtake Greer/King as our nickel back this year and let us pursue someone else to take one of their roster spots.

619565[/snapback]

I do like Huff's versatility as you mentioned. It reminds me of Carnell Lake, the former Pro Bowl safety of the Steelers who also was able to play corner, and play the position very well, when Rod Woodson went down w/ an injury.

I do like Huff's versatility as you mentioned.  It reminds me of Carnell Lake, the former Pro Bowl safety of the Steelers who also was able to play corner, and play the position very well, when Rod Woodson went down w/ an injury.

619642[/snapback]

that's the way to win these guys over - make a Steelers reference. :blink::D Can't get enough of those cheating bastards.

that's the way to win these guys over - make a Steelers reference.  :blink:  :D Can't get enough of those cheating bastards.

619715[/snapback]

On that note, didn't we draft someone great from Texas with a high 1st rounder about 3 or 4 years back? Who was that guy? Damn, can't seem to remember him. Was he abducted by aliens or something? ;)

On that note, didn't we draft someone great from Texas with a high 1st rounder about 3 or 4 years back?  Who was that guy?  Damn, can't seem to remember him.  Was he abducted by aliens or something?  :D

619723[/snapback]

Yes, no more picks from Texas....they are all just big fat softies with no heart to play football :blink:

that's the way to win these guys over - make a Steelers reference.  :blink:  :D Can't get enough of those cheating bastards.

619715[/snapback]

You peeked @ my list, didn't you? How else did you know that winning these folks over was my #1 priority?