Vernon Davis vs Kevin Everett

Okay since I just typed this in C-22's thread only to find it locked I'll put it here also...:lol:

NE took Daniel Graham with a number one and only a few seasons later took Ben Watson with a first.....it can work here with Davis and Everett also.

Okay since I just typed this in C-22's thread only to find it locked I'll put it here also...:lol:

NE took Daniel Graham with a number one and only a few seasons later took Ben Watson with a first.....it can work here with Davis and Everett also.

614031[/snapback]

I figured Id close mine to avoid confusion :lol: \

Good points about Davis and Everett...sure would give the Bills great options at TE...and this is ALL provided the OL is improved via FA

614031[/snapback]

New England was already a Superbowl champion when they did that. Of course it doesn't hurt to have two great TE's, but that's a luxury on a team that can't afford it.

Obviously?!

Hmmm.

The only thing that is obvious is that Davis will be drafted by an NFL team.

I do not know how anyone can judge talent levels when neither has shown anything on the pro field.

i.e. Shawn Alexander is obviously better than Travis Henry

We have little if any real info to go on in judging Everett's abilities now post-injury. To those who wrote we should trade the #8 pick and then select Davis later in the round, please advised that Davis may not even make it to #8, in which case someone else of quality should be available. The Bills are in a very decent position at #8, IMHO.

We have little if any real info to go on in judging Everett's abilities now post-injury. To those who wrote we should trade the #8 pick and then select Davis later in the round, please advised that Davis may not even make it to #8, in which case someone else of quality should be available. The Bills are in a very decent position at #8, IMHO.

614070[/snapback]

True True

I just get visions of Mike Williams and shudder

614031[/snapback]

NE 2004 draft

1 1 21 21 Vince Wilfork DT Miami (FL)

2 1 32 32 Ben Watson TE Georgia

3 2 31 63 Marquise Hill DE Louisiana State

4 3 32 95 Guss Scott DB Florida

5 4 17 113 Dexter Reid DB North Carolina

6 4 32 128 Cedric Cobbs RB Arkansas

7 5 32 164 P.K. Sam WR Florida State

8 7 32 233 Christian Morton DB Illinois

I don´t doubt it can work with Davis and Everett but I´d focus in building both lines first.

NE could afford to add another TE with their second 1st rounder because not only they had a team already built (coming from a SB win) but because they find a way to stockpile draft picks year after year.

IMO it´s like comparing apples to oranges.

IMO, we don't take Davis because we don't know what he have at TE. Kevin Everett might be a star in the making, he might never recover from the injury and he might have just sucked anyway. So we don't know if TE is a strength or a weakness for this team.

However, we DO that OL and DL are major holes. So I just gotta believe that you focus on that.

You fix what you know is broke, not what might be...

I say Vernon Davis should only be an option IF the Bills are able to trade down and get more picks....yes Vernon is special....but Everett can still be a very solid option at TE

614033[/snapback]

And you know this how??? Guy had his biggest year as a senior with a little over 300 yards.

normally i'd yell no to a TE, but i think there is a chance we can take davis and make it work.

if we get a tackle and a C/G in FA, then unless d'brick is sitting there we really don't have a guy worth taking that high on the o line.

if williams isn't there then the question is: do we jump all over ngata?

well, if we have the same Dline coming into the draft (with no one else to sign just sitting there) then yeah we take him. if we grab 1 or 2 of the 5 or 6 DTs in FA this year that would really improve the bills, then a guy like davis might just make us a much better team.

moulds will be gone. with evans and parrish out there stretching things a tight end who is a deep threat will take a ton of pressure off of JP.

davis can also block, so we can run and pass out of similar formations, something we really haven't been able to do since 02

New England was already a Superbowl champion when they did that.  Of course it doesn't hurt to have two great TE's, but that's a luxury on a team that can't afford it.

614039[/snapback]

Exactly! I think the lead factor in our decision is not a debate over need pick versus BPA pick (I think the answer to this is that the Bills factor in both approaches) but instead the overarching question of which player will help us win fastest.

We have so many needs that even though Davis is likely to be the BPA when we pick, it will probably make more sense for folks to hope Everett develops quickly enough with his mutant speed for a TE that he can become our #1 TE. We will still need to draft a TE because it is doubtful any of our current roster will be a viable #2 (Campbell is too old with too high a cap hit, Euhus might but it is questionable, Neufeld won't and Peters might but he is a tackle on our team).

However, word is this is a deep draft for TEs and while Davis may be a BPA overall, we can probably simply take the best DT available (likely Ngota) even if he is a lesser player overall than Davis and get our back-up TE with our extra pick in the third round or maybe even on the second day.

Let's also not forget that the future of this team does NOT live or die by ONE pick in the draft. The key is that we have 3 other Day 1 picks -- all of which are at the top of each respective round. You can normally find very good interior linemen prospects, for example, as late as the 3rd round. There is a possibility that there will be no OL of decent value at the #8 spot -- and we may be able to get a quality DT in the 2nd. Provided that we address our OL/DL needs in free agency and elsewhere in the draft, I have no problems with the Bills taking the BPA, provided it isn't at a position that is totally lacking in need. And when you are 5-11 and haven't made the palyoffs in this millenium, there are darn few positions that can't be considered a position of need.

Assuming that all of the expected players go in the top 7, I would have to trust the scouts' grades on Ngata, Davis, J Williams, and Huff to make the determination on which player is the best to draft. That -- and looking at an eye toward the next round to see what the dropoff would be between the player at each position and the best player likley to be there at the same position with our next pick.