Jets Franchise Abraham (nfl.com)

richNjoisy

ESPN is saying they are looking to trade him since they are screwed when it comes to the cap.  Of course, if in the next few days the Jets release Ty Law, Chad Pennington and Kevin Mawae...that should free up some cash.

608046[/snapback]

My understanding was a release of Pennington puts a $12 mil hit on their cap. I also hear that Pennington's agent is (rightfully IMO) arguing with his client to NOT accept an $8 mil paycut.

I thought Ty Law as a small cap figure right now and only became expensive sometime in 2006. Maybe the $29 mil over the cap figure I have been hearing has been assuming Ty still on the squad?

Yes, I had heard about the Tag and Trade but I couldn't figure out how the jets could stay under the cap after March 3 - assuming no trade would take place before then....

(in other words, I still am confused as to how they are doing this)

My understanding was a release of Pennington puts a $12 mil hit on their cap. I also hear that Pennington's agent is (rightfully IMO) arguing with his client to NOT accept an $8 mil paycut.

I thought Ty Law as a small cap figure right now and only became expensive sometime in 2006. Maybe the $29 mil over the cap figure I have been hearing has been assuming Ty still on the squad?

Yes, I had heard about the Tag and Trade but I couldn't figure out how the jets could stay under the cap after March 3 - assuming no trade would take place before then....

(in other words, I still am confused as to how they are doing this)

608052[/snapback]

I dont think that any trades can happen until after the new league year, aka March 3rd. So i think the Jets have to be under the cap with abraham tagged, before they trade him.

Regarding Law, i dont believe his contract expired, so "technically" he isnt a FA. I believe he has a large roster bonus due, something to the tune of 10 mil, and then an insane salary for next year. So while his large salary for next year is on their cap now, when the Jets officially refuse to pay his bonus or cut him, his contract will be terminated and he'll be a FA. Then he's off the cap.

Could this be a Peerless like move....now the Jets deal him?

608044[/snapback]

I can see no other way for them to go, BUT, they are SO far over the cap that I would be surprised if they get a first round pick for him. If they can't make the trade, they will cut him.

Abraham has issues, but he is a DE who can consistently rush the quarterback. This is a hot commodity in the NFL.

I am guessing that some team will get him for a 2nd, perhaps even a 3rd but again, I am only guessing.

God I so want to trade down to the Broncs in this draft......

608080[/snapback]

There is a rumour floating out there, that the Broncos were preparing to do just that, and, in the process, pick up Ricky Williams. That would explain why it was a Denver television station that broke the Williams suspension story...

I can see no other way for them to go, BUT, they are SO far over the cap that I would be surprised if they get a first round pick for him. If they can't make the trade, they will cut him.

Abraham has issues, but he is a DE who can consistently rush the quarterback. This is a hot commodity in the NFL.

I am guessing that some team will get him for a 2nd, perhaps even a 3rd but again, I am only guessing.

608066[/snapback]

Bill - do the Jets sell out every game? If so, what does it matter if they stink and have cap problems??? If they pack the stadium and have the tv/sharing $$$, winning is nice but optional...

Bill - do the Jets sell out every game? If so, what does it matter if they stink and have cap problems??? If they pack the stadium and have the tv/sharing $$$, winning is nice but optional...

608117[/snapback]

There is a luxury in having a 20,000 person waiting list for season tickets. Who by the way pay $50 a year to stay on that list, an extra $1 million a year for the franchise.

edited: whoops on the math

There is a luxury in having a 20,000 person waiting list for season tickets. Who by the way pay $50 a year to stay on that list, an extra $10 million a year for the franchise.

608128[/snapback]

that's some tricky math your using there.......

608117[/snapback]

Oh yeah. There are enough big businesses around here for them to sell out, but the story goes deeper.

The jests have a very strong, but equally neurotic fan base. Their "spokesperson" is a gifted radio personality named Joe Beningo on WFAN. If you are skilled on the web, you should truly listen to this man after a jest loss. He is literally hilarious.

The bulk of the fan base is from Queens and Long Island. They of course abandoned Queens (my birthplace and home for 35 years). Their current owner (Woody Johnson, from Johnson and Johnson) had designs on a Manhattan Stadium and was shot down politically. He could have had a place in Queens, but chose to stay in NJ and be the only team in the big 4 sports to play in the stadium of another team (Giant Stadium). An utter disgrace.

He let Herman Edwards, an idiot, ruin this team. He didn't care because his eyes were on the bigger prize (again, the Manhattan Stadium).

There are a host of jest horror stories I could tell you, but it would take up too much space. PM me if you are interested in some comedy.

Btw, I have never tried to hide the fact that I am a recovering jest fan. When they left Queens many years ago, I left them and never looked back, nor will I ever.

The Buffalo Bills Football Team is the only team that represents the state and people of New York. I have also developed a love affair of sorts with WNY, after having been up there for the last 12 consecutive years.

Someday, we are going to win it all. I am sure of this.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Their "spokesperson" is a gifted radio personality named Joe Beningo on WFAN. If you are skilled on the web, you should truly listen to this man after a jest loss. He is literally hilarious.

608149[/snapback]

Bill, when Joe was on the overnights...after Jet losses I would try my best to stay awake for the Beningo monolauge at the beginning of the show...classic rants!! :doh::doh::)

Bill, when Joe was on the overnights...after Jet losses I would try my best to stay awake for the Beningo monolauge at the beginning of the show...classic rants!!  :doh:  :doh:  :)

608153[/snapback]

I also used to catch him on the overnights, he's pretty good... Mets fan too, he's used to bitching! :lol: