For those of you with Jobs....

taterhill

Wow, seems like a lot of negativity around here about teachers. I never said that my job was harder than anyone else's. I never said ANYTHING about unions, yet that is why people attacked my post about how many sick days I have! Im sure all jobs have their hardships, a lot harder than mine (not saying mine are). I know a lot of teachers complain about their jobs, I wasnt complaining. I just hate to constantly hear people's thoughtless banter about teachers, we are not all the same. Thanks Nose for the backing.

Maybe you should direct your assault at the actual union, instead of a teacher.

If you think teachers are "a-holes" and "dickheads" then you must not like alot of people in general.

599872[/snapback]

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, seems like a lot of negativity around here about teachers.  I never said that my job was harder than anyone else's.  I never said ANYTHING about unions, yet that is why people attacked my post about how many sick days I have!  Im sure all jobs have their hardships, a lot harder than mine (not saying mine are).  I know a lot of teachers complain about their jobs, I wasnt complaining.  I just hate to constantly hear people's thoughtless banter about teachers, we are not all the same.  Thanks Nose for the backing.

599960[/snapback]

since my wife is a teacher..i KNOW that your day does not end at 3pm when the bell rings...very mentally draining job..

14 and 2 personal a year.  For every personal you don't use, turns into 2 sick at the end of the year.  Gotta love being a teacher!

599557[/snapback]

since my wife is a teacher..i KNOW that your day does not end at 3pm when the bell rings...very mentally draining job..

right.....apparently they end at 3:45

I never said that my job was harder than anyone else's.  I never said ANYTHING about unions,.....  I just hate to constantly hear people's thoughtless banter about teachers

599960[/snapback]

i wouldn't be complaining about my job or my union if i were you either. and it wasn't thoughtless banter......apparently you too are aware of teachers that piss and moan about their job when they have no business doing so.

right.....apparently they end at 3:45

599983[/snapback]

Babyrock (daughter) is a teacher. I called her the other night and she was working on a project for the next day at school.

Oh yeah, this was shortly after 9PM.

After putting 4 kids through the "system" I have met great teachers and terrible teachers.

Why do you single out teachers for your anger? Just curious. :angry:

Babyrock (daughter) is a teacher. I called her the other night and she was working on a project for the next day at school.

After putting 4 kids through the "system" I have met great teachers and terrible teachers.

Why do you single out teachers for your anger? Just curious.  :angry:

600004[/snapback]

Wondering the same thing myself. My wife has worked in school systems for the past 18 years, either as a teacher or district position. The good ones put in plenty of time--evenings, mornings, weekends. The bad ones perform like bad employees everywhere, they do the minimum or less if they can get away with it.

Why do you single out teachers for your anger? Just curious.  :angry:

600004[/snapback]

the generalization on my part was poor judegment.

i had lunch yesterday with a guy whose wife is a teacher. and she doesn't do jack....and all he did was complain about how hard she works.

i have friends that work in the Rochester City School Dist....and i have seen first hand the waste of dollars that could be better used by burning the dollars and using the fire for heating the buildings.

i am not convinced the the percentage of good teachers is higher than the percentage of bad teachers.

599968[/snapback]

it depends on your grade level. That may be true for middle and secondary school teachers. My wife teaches 1st grade and I've NEVER seen her bring work home. Ever.

I get zero sick days a year. If we get sick we have to drag our ass into medical, only to sit there for hours at sick call to be told we're on "light duty" and sent to work.  :angry:

Of course in my position I let my Marines just go home when they're sick....  :(

600014[/snapback]

Ah yes, the old sick call. I remember making that trip a couple times while I was stationed in Berlin. We'd have to get from our job site to the hospital and then back to the site, unless they sent you home for the day (fat chance). It only wasted about half the day, that's all.

I get zero sick days a year. If we get sick we have to drag our ass into medical, only to sit there for hours at sick call to be told we're on "light duty" and sent to work.  :angry:

Of course in my position I let my Marines just go home when they're sick....  :(

600014[/snapback]

Do the Marines call you out when you're on Sick Call? My battery would basically call a roll of people on sick call in cadence while running every morning.

Example: "Private SixPack...where you at? Sick Call...AWOL..." etc...

:lol:

it depends on your grade level. That may be true for middle and secondary school teachers. My wife teaches 1st grade and I've NEVER seen her bring work home. Ever.

600044[/snapback]

Mine (wife) teaches 1st grade as well and ALWAYS brings work home; though her students score and perform in the top 3-5% of the state continually and have been recognized nationally and on PBS so I guess "time" is relative.

And, premptively, let's not take this discussion beyond what has already been mentioned.

You work for AT&T (SBC), Lori?  I'm very aware of the tracking of occurrences for AT&T....

599942[/snapback]

Nope - glass container industry.

Been ten years, but I still remember the mandated "employee attendance improvement" lecture I got upon returning to work shortly after having my thyroid nuked with I-131.

Considering that I was still sweating out trace amounts of isotopes (and a couple of days away from going into full-scale 'thyroid storm') at the time, in retrospect, I think I should've spit in his coffee..... :doh:

Gotta admit, though, USMC's got me beat. As much as I detest said job, I can still manage to punch out and go home without anyone shooting at me.

(Unless it's deer season. No guarantees then. ;) )

Let's see....

15 sick days a year 4 personal days which turn in to sick if you don't use them.

in my 5th year I probably have around 60 days accrued

All that and a teacher's work calender ;):lol::D;)

And for the complainers about what teachers get, feel free to get your educational certification and sign up. I had to make a decision between law school and getting my teaching certification and i picked teaching with the understanding that I would never make 6 figures but the trade off would be more time off to spend with my kids.

I understand that it sucks out there in the "real world" and I appreciate how good I have it. Don't hate the player, hate the game :doh:

600044[/snapback]

Maybe she's slacking. :doh:

Anyways, off topic, my SIL is a professor at a college, and she has brought papers to be graded with her during her vacations.

Back on topic, I get 15 PTO (Paid Time Off) days every year, to be used either as vacation or sick. Any not used by the end of the year, you are paid for, they are not carried over to the next year.

10 sick days, 10 personal days, 2 weeks paid vacation. 1st two weeks of July off, two weeks off at Christmas/New Years, all holidays off and all are paid. If I do not use sick/personal days, I get paid for them at the end of the year. I can't complain.

Sick days...for the salaried workers (moi), there is no set number of days, ( and we would still get paid) ,,,BUT abusing the process would cause a problem...The union / hourly workers don't get paid for days called in sick....

Any 3 straight days off requires a Doctors note before returning to work...

No personal days, but the 5 weeks of vacation I get can be taken in weeks or days or even half days if needed...

Like Rockpile, my company was recently sold and I lost a week of vacation and the old company is withholding the vacation pay for the salary group..So I am awating a 6 week vacation paycheck from the old company....bastids

mine are called PTO or Paid Time Off

theres 28 days for ur first 5 yrs I think

8 of those days are holidays

20 of them are yours too pick from such as being sick or vacation

they are carried over or u can cash them in each year

also if u are sick and don't want to use a PTO u can work thru lunch etc and make up the time before the pay period ends

Well said.

Let's see....

15 sick days a year 4 personal days which turn in to sick if you don't use them.

in my 5th year I probably have around 60 days accrued

All that and a teacher's work calender  ;)  :lol:  :D  ;)

And for the complainers about what teachers get, feel free to get your educational certification and sign up. I had to make a decision between law school and getting my teaching certification and i picked teaching with the understanding that I would never make 6 figures but the trade off would be more time off to spend with my kids.

I understand that it sucks out there in the "real world" and I appreciate how good I have it. Don't hate the player, hate the game  :doh:

600767[/snapback]