Will the new coaching staff support JP...

Tipster19

The hiring of a new QB coach may just indicate what the organization thinks of him. If one were to venture a guess, then Wyche not being a part of his growth doesn't bode well for him. Does JP start this year or does the new coach makes it a point for another option?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The hiring of a new QB coach may just indicate what the organization thinks of him. If one were to venture a guess, then Wyche not being a part of his growth doesn't bode well for him. Does JP start this year or does the new coach makes it a point for another option?

597648[/snapback]

I would hope that if JP starts, he earns the job, instead of having it handed to him by a bitter GM who was put upon because he lost a football game to the scrubs of his former team.

JP needs to earn the respect of the other players on his football team.

597648[/snapback]

It's total up to JP now. No more mommy apron strings to guide him. He either does it and shows everybody or he becomes a failure. It's time to grow up JP you can't talk your way on to the field any longer. You have to prove you belong.

It's time to grow up JP you can't talk your way on to the field any longer. You have to prove you belong.

597679[/snapback]

He does have to prove that he can do the job, but how did he talk himself onto the field? Would you expect him to say "No thanks coach"?

He does have to prove that he can do the job, but how did he talk himself onto the field?  Would you expect him to say "No thanks coach"?

597683[/snapback]

Your right. JP just strikes me as the type of kid that does not live up to his abilities and when he doesn't he is able to fool people into think that it is their fault not his. But you are right- what was he surpose to do?

JP did pretty well when he came in against KC at home, he gave the team a lift and we beat a good team. He looked fabulous in the first quarter of the Miami debacle throwing some of the nicest passes seen by this Bills fan in a long time.

He is not without talent. He needs to make better decisions and have a little poise in the pocket; not uncommon for limited playing time. With a run game and a TE who actually is involved in the passing game and the kid may be all right. Not long ago, Brees was called a bust. JP may surprise under Fairchild's guidance.

I say who cares. JP was drafted to be the starting quarterback. If he hasn't established that HIMSELF by the final cutdown day, he will be shown the door. Honestly, who cares who the coach is, if JP sucks, then he's history. No need to drag thingsout.

It's total up to JP now.  No more mommy apron strings to guide him.  He either does it and shows everybody or he becomes a failure.  It's time to grow up JP you can't talk your way on to the field any longer. You have to prove you belong.

597679[/snapback]

That "mommy apron strings" is a little harsh. I have never heard a story that JP wanted the job handed to him.

I hope he's ready to lead the team this year, but realistically, with another new system and a slew of new coaches, it's probably going to be tough for him to adjust quickly. I wouldn't be suprised to see him sitting on the bench at the start of the year and pushing for the job by mid-season. Exactly what should have happened last year.

That's a pretty good observation on a good TE Lofton80. An athletic, pass catching TE might just be his saving grace or at least this team's. It might be a wise move for JP to become fast friends with Everett. I still think that there might be an unexpected twist to the QB position this season. This position is still very vunerable and I would expect that the new coach and/or GM will at least solidify this position with new, outside source(s). This does not necessarily mean that JP won't be the starter, just that there'll be more new competition at this position.

I say who cares.  JP was drafted to be the starting quarterback.  If he hasn't established that HIMSELF by the final cutdown day, he will be shown the door.  Honestly, who cares who the coach is, if JP sucks, then he's history.  No need to drag thingsout.

597710[/snapback]

Amen. I have a bad feeling this is going to be a Harrington/Boller "this is his year" type thing until 2008.

That "mommy apron strings" is a little harsh.  I have never heard a story that JP wanted the job handed to him.

I hope he's ready to lead the team this year, but realistically, with another new system and a slew of new coaches, it's probably going to be tough for him to adjust quickly.  I wouldn't be suprised to see him sitting on the bench at the start of the year and pushing for the job by mid-season.  Exactly what should have happened last year.

597726[/snapback]

In fact, I saw an pre-season interview with him in which he commented on the Bledsoe cut by specifically saying that it was not the right way for him to win the job as he had not yet proven on the field that he was a #1 quality QB.

However, he is not in charge of the contracts and that he would go out on the field and play his game and try to deserve the jiob.

No problems with these platitudes from my perspective. He said what he is supposed to say.

As best as I can tell it will be an open competition between Holcomb and JP which is going on right now in their home conditioning rooms and which will begin in earnest at the first "voluntary" minicamp after the draft.

Holcomb has the advantage right now because his experience makes him a better player than JP. JP however, has an overall advantage because of:

1. age- Holcomb is well into the backside of his career and though he is a better player than JP he is to old to be the QB of the future. The win now doctum of the Bills will help him get the startting nod if JP shows nothing, but if JP shows much of a sign at all of developing into a quality QB this year, my guess he gets the start.

2. athleticism- JP appears to be far better athlete than Holcomb with faster wheels and a stronger arm. However, JP has not shown or developed the mental ability to play the game and make calm good decisions as Holcomb often does. JP's abilities will give him a leg-up if he gets his game under control.

3. Holcomb has never been consistent Holcomb has had a few lights out games, but never in his career has he actually produced as a QB for an entiure (or even a lot of a season).

The key qyestion for fans is whether they think he can produce.

My sense is that yes he has the skills to do this. In addition, given that he ran for his life his entire at Tulane and he has a bit of a nasty edge to his temperament, I feel that with experience he will eventually develop the experience where tje ga,e s;pws down.

However, this is still a close question as I'm not sure he can develop his skills quickly enough for us to stay invested in him given the win now dictum that is commonplace in today's game and is a major driver for the Bills due to the business (the customers need a playoff berth or they will be begin to stay home and because of RWS's age.

I think the proration of his cap # keeps him here this year unless he melts down and pays all pre-season like he did in his rookie performanxce against NE. If he shows the progress he showed his rookie season in mop-up duty after his intial debacle or even if the plays as inconsistently as he played last year (he progressively lost control of his game until he was benched, however he improved a lot when an injury to Holcomb brought hin back.

For example, the opening TDs to Evans in the MI game were great, but he failed (along with the rest of the team to stick a fork into the MI carcass and we paid for this with the comeback by MI. Still, the main reason he did not comeback was because Holcomb showed a little bit ofr control and good play that kept him in the starting job. Yet, Holcomb also showed his vulnerability as droppsies by Shelton and others led to a bad result against the Jets.

If Holcomb produces tremendously he can hold off JP. However, if JP even shows moderate progress Holcomb likely sits.

I as a Bills fan do not care which QB gets the start all I want is someone to win.

jp will probably start because we have too many holes to fill to get another quarterback this year.  Holcomb will fill in if necessary, but I don't see us doing a lot with Holcomb.  For this year anyway I think JP is the only game in town.

597694[/snapback]

I think you're wrong, even moreso if Marv has any influence. A young QB, that played as badly as JP did will not be handed the job, when a very serviceable QB in KH is on our roster. A good football team can win with KH.

I'm curious to see how JP handles himself in the preseason and in training camp. If he messes up there, you hand the job to Holcomb. If he shows potential, you give him the first four games of the season to see how he does. If he's not producing by the end of game four, it would be hard to say when he'd start. Next year will be his third in the league, and it's time the Bills started reaping some rewards from their investment in JP.

597648[/snapback]

My first concen was Jauron's history in Chicago in that he flip flopped between QBs which isn't good for developing a young QB. Yet I felt had Wyche been retained it was an indication there was support for JP. So when he was let go it opened my suspicion. further. The prolonged search for a new QB coach is especially worrisome to me as think one is needed so JP can have someone he can work with on the finer points of the position. While I think JP will have an oppurtunity next year I don't think he's going to get a full endorsement (see open battle in training camp between him and Holcomb) from the new regime.

I could also see us taking a QB in the middle of the draft (see Round 4 or 5) to possibly replace JP (see Chicago's drafting Kyle Orton this year as a point of reference). Of course the brilliance of taking a QB that late is it's a low risk and can easily be regarded as a body to bring into training camp to serve as 3rd string if Matthews does infact retire. Of course if he does retire it might be smart to also bring a vet FA into camp (someone brought up Jaime Martin before which might be wise to him knowing Fairchild's system in St Louis) incase said rookie turns out to be a bust or better off on the practice squad.

I'm curious to see how JP handles himself in the preseason and in training camp. If he messes up there, you hand the job to Holcomb. If he shows potential, you give him the first four games of the season to see how he does. If he's not producing by the end of game four, it would be hard to say when he'd start. Next year will be his third in the league, and it's time the Bills started reaping some rewards from their investment in JP.

597952[/snapback]

This post just goes to show you how ridiculous your stances are. If JP plays bad in pre-season, just hand it to Holcomb. What if Holcomb plays bad in pre-season? That doesn't matter?

Then you just arbitrarily decide four games is your barometer. What if he plays lousy and they win all four games? Bench him for Holcomb? How about if he plays lousy for two games and then great for two games? Bench him because he's not producing? It's just foolish post after foolish post. How about watching every practice and then deciding as you go who is your best player? Like every other position. That sound like a ridiculous idea? How about watching how JP plays every game and deciding as you go along if he is good or not and then making or not making a change when the time is right? That sound like a plan?

1. age- Holcomb is well into the backside of his career and though he is a better player than JP he is to old to be the QB of the future.  The win now doctum of the Bills will help him get the startting nod if JP shows nothing, but if JP shows much of a sign at all of developing into a quality QB this year, my guess he gets the start.

2. athleticism- JP appears to be far better athlete than Holcomb with faster wheels and a stronger arm.  However, JP has not shown or developed the mental ability to play the game and make calm good decisions as Holcomb often does. JP's abilities will give him a leg-up if he gets his game under control.

3. Holcomb has never been consistent Holcomb has had a few lights out games, but never in his career has he actually produced as a QB for an entiure (or even a lot of a season).

The key qyestion for fans is whether they think he can produce.

I as a Bills fan do not care which QB gets the start all I want is someone to win.

597780[/snapback]

That says it all, soon to be no longer FFS. The competition will be, and should be, open. But, the starting nod is probably, and should be, JP's to lose.

We know KH's a capable #2...but that's what he is a #2. We also know he's not the QB of the future.

If JP shows the attitude and progress he's exhibited so far, he should be a lock for the #1 QB position, IMO.

Get an OL and a TE and let's how this thing works.

My first concen was Jauron's history in Chicago in that he flip flopped between QBs which isn't good for developing a young QB. Yet I felt had Wyche been retained it was an indication there was support for JP. So when he was let go it opened my suspicion. further.  The prolonged search for a new QB coach is especially worrisome to me as think one is needed so JP can have someone he can work with on the finer points of the position. While I think JP will have an oppurtunity next year I don't he's going to get a full endorsement (see open battle in training camp between him and Holcomb) from the new regime.  I could also see us taking a QB in the middle of the draft (see Round 4 or 5) to possibly replace JP (see Chicago's drafting Kyle Orton this year as a point of reference). Of course the brilliance of taking a QB that late is it's a low risk and can easily be regarding as a body to bring into training camp to serve as 3rd string if Matthews does infact retire.

597957[/snapback]

Good points, but I'm wondering if Wyche was let go precisely because JP hasn't progressed as quickly as some would like - and please note that I said as some would like. After all, he sat out his rookie season due to injury, so this was really his first year, during which he was yanked twice, had a miserable head coach and OC, and didn't truly have the team behind him. I still think he showed flashes of a quality QB, but agree that he needs to earn the job.

One other thing - exactly why has the search for a QB coach been so prolonged? I mean, why haven't they even interviewed anyone? They filled out most of the coaching staff fairly quickly after Jauron was named HC, but seem to be dragging their feet regarding a QB coach.

Could it be that they're trying to talk Jim Kelly into taking the job, before they start interviewing anyone else? (I hope so, 'cause I think Kelly'd be perfect for the job, and just might want it.) :D

Good points, but I'm wondering if Wyche was let go precisely because JP hasn't progressed as quickly as some would like - and please note that I said as some would like.  After all, he sat out his rookie season due to injury, so this was really his first year, during which he was yanked twice, had a miserable head coach and OC, and didn't truly have the team behind him.  I still think he showed flashes of a quality QB, but agree that he needs to earn the job.

One other thing - exactly why has the search for a QB coach been so prolonged?  I mean, why haven't they even interviewed anyone?  They filled out most of the coaching staff fairly quickly after Jauron was named HC, but seem to be dragging their feet regarding a QB coach.

Could it be that they're trying to talk Jim Kelly into taking the job, before they start interviewing anyone else?  (I hope so, 'cause I think Kelly'd be perfect for the job, and just might want it.) :D

597965[/snapback]

Call me optomistic but think Wyche was more a choice of Sam's than the current regime but you do bring up some good points except for that last paragraph. :D As, I wasn't a big Kelly fan when he was here and truly didn't feel he was a HoFer. That said I think he'd be a worse coach than a player.