When did this board get so bitter?

CJPearl2

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not fact? Sorry, it WAS the worst officiated game I've ever seen, and it just so happened to be in the Super Bowl.

597232[/snapback]

Let's not confuse things.

Badly officiated game? Crappy refs? Horrible job by the zebras? Worst officiated Super Bowl in recent memory? I agree.

Clandestine, covert operation to undermine the Paul Allen-led, coffee drinking, money earning establishment Seattle has built for themselves? I disagree.

Let's not confuse things.

Badly officiated game?  Crappy refs?  Horrible job by the zebras?  Worst officiated Super Bowl in recent memory?  I agree.

Clandestine, covert operation to undermine the Paul Allen-led, coffee drinking, money earning establishment Seattle has built for themselves?  I disagree.

597378[/snapback]

Well, yeah. What's sad is, the refs were SO one-sided and SO incompetent, it made the theory of a fix plausible. When that happens, there's a credibility issue in the NFL.

Well, yeah. What's sad is, the refs were SO one-sided and SO incompetent, it made the theory of a fix plausible. When that happens, there's a credibility issue in the NFL.

597384[/snapback]

That's the thing. After this game you could say one of two things:

1.) The refs were "tainted." (either actively or subconsciously calling in favor of Pittsburgh)

2.) The refs were incompetent (even though they are the "best and brightest" refs in the NFL).

Either way, the #1 thing that people are talking about with respect to what happened on-field in the Super Bowl was the performance of the refs, not the players or even the coaches. It exposes one area that the NFL is behind the other "Big 4" sports.

It's true that the refs blew numerous calls in this game, many adversely affecting the Seahawks.

It's true that the Seahawks aided in their own loss by playing like crap in the biggest game in franchise history.

What I don't understand about all this hysteria is how anyone can say it's true that the game was "fixed".  Unless you have some sort of evidence to illustrate this theory (bad calls are not evidence of anything other than the same incompetence we've seen in officiating all season long), what's true is that  it was a poorly officiated game.  Nothing more.

597205[/snapback]

Great post, this sums it all up very well.

The NFL is just way too big to ever jeopardize their success by intentionally fixing a game. If proof ever leaked out, the league would be history.

That's the thing.  After this game you could say one of two things:

1.) The refs were "tainted." (either actively or subconsciously calling in favor of Pittsburgh)

2.) The refs were incompetent (even though they are the "best and brightest" refs in the NFL).

Either way, the #1 thing that people are talking about with respect to what happened on-field in the Super Bowl was the performance of the refs, not the players or even the coaches.  It exposes one area that the NFL is behind the other "Big 4" sports.

597443[/snapback]

True, but the NFL is IMO the second hardest game to referee, and possibly the hardest. The NBA is very tough to call because there is so much contact and the refs have to decide a ton of little judgements as too how much contact is too much contact. But the calls in an NBA are tiny compared to the NFL in how they affect the game. Baseball and Hockey are relatively easy to referee compared to the other two major professional sports. Refereeing is very, very difficult in any sport, and fans should be more amazed by how accurate they are for the vast majority of the time rather than how much they suck. This is obvious by the number of referees in any sport that anyone finds even adequate. Most seem to think all refs everywhere suck.

The Super Bowl, however, was a disaster this year because of so many bad and questionable calls. But I think it's probably an anomaly (although I thought Mike Carey should have done the game and is the best one). And besides, what is the alternative? How do you make better referees. I really don't think the "full-time" ref thing would make much difference. It's a hard task. Not saying it couldn't or shouldn't be better, I just don't see how.

597384[/snapback]

Thats just so blatantly incorrect

It's true that the refs blew numerous calls in this game, many adversely affecting the Seahawks.

It's true that the Seahawks aided in their own loss by playing like crap in the biggest game in franchise history.

What I don't understand about all this hysteria is how anyone can say it's true that the game was "fixed".  Unless you have some sort of evidence to illustrate this theory (bad calls are not evidence of anything other than the same incompetence we've seen in officiating all season long), what's true is that  it was a poorly officiated game.  Nothing more.

597205[/snapback]

Fabulous post ! I agree completely.