Just food for thought

B Rob

Do you watch the games? Seriously, if you do and you can't see that at this point Ben is a MUCH better quarterback than JP, then you need your eyes tested.

595833[/snapback]

You act as though the two things are mutually exclusive, when it couldn't be more opposite. The fact that Ben's team is very good has played a significant part in his confidence, which is probably the single most important part of a young QB's development.

Would either QB be flourishing if they're teams were reversed? I'd bet JP would close the gap quite a bit.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben choked in this game, no question about that.  You could see it on his face, too; he was tight.  But he was still awesome against Indy and Denver and is still a great, young QB.  If Ben ever gets back to the Super Bowl, I'm sure he'll play much better, similar to how he played much better this year in the playoffs after he choked last year.  Overall, despite a poor game today, I'd much rather have him as my QB than JP.

595857[/snapback]

I agree. Ben sucked in the SB but he was a key in getting them past 3 top AFC teams to get to the big game. He is still a very young QB and he won the SB. If JP were the QB in Pittsburgh, he would not have led them to the SB,...i doubt Eli or Philip would have either.

9-21 for 123 yards and 2 interceptions.

I'd say he was siginficantly worse than average.

595754[/snapback]

If they lost, I might agree. Fact is, he made plays when he had too. I'll take that over gaudy stats. I suspect his good statistical games will far outweigh one such as this. This kid is a winner.

If JP were the QB in Pittsburgh, he would not have led them to the SB,...i doubt Eli or Philip would have either.

596105[/snapback]

And you know this HOW?

When JP was given ANY kind of time this year (which happened three times Miami, KC and Houston), he performed REALLY well.

If he had that OL in front of him, there's no doubt in my mind, people would be hyping HIM like they do Roethlis-burger.

Ben choked in this game, no question about that.  You could see it on his face, too; he was tight.  But he was still awesome against Indy and Denver and is still a great, young QB.  If Ben ever gets back to the Super Bowl, I'm sure he'll play much better, similar to how he played much better this year in the playoffs after he choked last year.  Overall, despite a poor game today, I'd much rather have him as my QB than JP.

595857[/snapback]

His team won. How the hell did he choke? He made plays when he had too. You didn't see great stats so he must have choked? Give me a break.

I agree.  Ben sucked in the SB but he was a key in getting them past 3 top AFC teams to get to the big game.  He is still a very young QB and he won the SB.  If JP were the QB in Pittsburgh, he would not have led them to the SB,...i doubt Eli or Philip would have either.

596105[/snapback]

:( .....unbelievable.

Do you watch the games? Seriously, if you do and you can't see that at this point Ben is a MUCH better quarterback than JP, then you need your eyes tested.

595833[/snapback]

I do and I wonder if you do as well.It is about the team around the QB not just the QB.

And you know this HOW?

When JP was given ANY kind of time this year (which happened three times Miami, KC and Houston), he performed REALLY well.

If he had that OL in front of him, there's no doubt in my mind, people would be hyping HIM like they do Roethlis-burger.

596107[/snapback]

Why does everyone think Big Ben has all the time in the world in every game?!? He made things happen all year when the protection broke down. JP didn't. JP needed perfect conditions for things to go right. Once JP starts to make plays when things go bad then I'll say he turned the corner into a good QB.

I don't think it is fair to compare JP to Ben just yet.

Sure, Ben played like crap last night but he made plays when it counted. (The scramble-hail mary to Ward, the TD run, and lets not forget the bootleg in the 4th qtr to seal the game for Pitt.) Had the Seahwaks not shot themselves in the foot and the refs not been horrible there might be an argument but the fact of the matter is that he is a Super Bowl champ.

JP showed flashes at times last year and his protection may nopt have been as good as Ben's but Holcomb appeard in 10 games and was sacked 17 times while Losman appeared in 9 games and was sacked 25 times. They both played behind the same offensive line. JP still has a long way to go before anyone can compare him to Big Ben.

His team won. How the hell did he choke? He made plays when he had too. You didn't see great stats so he must have choked? Give me a break.

596114[/snapback]

Did you watch the game? The best pass of the night by pittsburgh was thrown by randle el.

Did you watch the game? The best pass of the night by pittsburgh was thrown by randle el.

596214[/snapback]

He made a few plays with his legs. Ben did not play well, it is true. But, the Steelers would've been watching on TV without him.

Guest BackInDaDay

I like our inexperienced young Losman, but if there was one QB on the field yesterday that reminded me of JP, it was Hasselback. He looked a little frantic back there at times. There were instances where he might have calmly stepped up into the pocket, past the oncoming pass-rush, and survey the field for another second. Instead he jolted up, and tossed the ball to his check-down guy.

Not a very polished performance.

Point is - JP could have played as poorly as either one of these guys did on their bad days. Now, can Jauron get him to play as well as either of these guys do on their good days? I hope we get a chance to see.

Average? The worst performance by a winning QB in history and a QB rating of what 22.6? Horrible game that was GIVEN to the Steelers. Wow what a gift they were given. Phantom holding calls, phantom TDs.

Wish the Bills could have gotten calls like that in any of their SBs. Actually I wish they went up against the likes of Seattle, the Eagles, Carolina etc.... Then the Bills would have been a legacy. Instead we went up against some of the best teams in NFL history. Oh well, guess we got to look to the future and stay positive. It's just tough sometimes around SB time.

I don't think it is fair to compare JP to Ben just yet.

Sure, Ben played like crap last night but he made plays when it counted. (The scramble-hail mary to Ward, the TD run, and lets not forget the bootleg in the 4th qtr to seal the game for Pitt.) Had the Seahwaks not shot themselves in the foot and the refs not been horrible there might be an argument but the fact of the matter is that he is a Super Bowl champ.

JP showed flashes at times last year and his protection may nopt have been as good as Ben's but Holcomb appeard in 10 games and was sacked 17 times while Losman appeared in 9 games and was sacked 25 times. They both played behind the same offensive line. JP still has a long way to go before anyone can compare him to Big Ben.

596190[/snapback]

i don't think that is a fair comparison wrt jp and kelly

jp played houston, tampa, new orleans, atlanta, carolina, kc, miami, new england, and san diego

kelly played the jets twice, new england, miami (home), a couple minutes of kc (where he was sacked and knocked out) cincy, raiders and snippets of tampa, NO

the bottom line is jp was put infront of some tough passrushing teams and while he really sucked at the start, he was scrambling and making plays the whole time afterwards.

ben rothless isn't as good as advertised, he can't hold carson palmer's jock

Guest BackInDaDay
I understand the low rating and the less than stellar stats. Again. How did he choke? HE WON!!!

596242[/snapback]

Agreed. He didn't pull a Neil O'Donnell.

Luckily, his guys run the right routes. :(