Detroit is getting pounded with snow tonight...

LabattBlue

This is why the SB should be on a regular rotation of San Diego, Miami, New Orleans, Houston and maybe Arizona.

Courtesy of weather.com...

SNOW... OCCASIONALLY MIXED WITH RAIN INTO EARLY THIS EVENING... WILL BE HEAVY AT TIMES TONIGHT. THE BEST THREAT FOR HEAVY SNOW WILL BE DURING THE EVENING HOURS. SNOW WILL TAPER OFF SUNDAY MORNING AFTER SUNRISE... BUT NOT BEFORE LEAVING TOTAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS IN THE 4 TO 8 INCH RANGE. IN ADDITION...NORTH TO NORTHWEST WINDS WILL INCREASE TONIGHT...WITH GUSTS AROUND 30 MPH POSSIBLE AFTER MIDNIGHT. THIS MAY CAUSE CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW.

Really?  I thought it was an open air stadium. :blush:

My point is who wants to travel all thay way, spend all kind of money and have to put up with a snowstorm to travel around in for the weekend.

594489[/snapback]

Would that stop you from going of the Bills were playing?

4-8 inches is not called getting pounded. Where I come from they call that a dusting.

This is getting pounded!

/O.CON.KBUF.LE.W.0002.060205T1700Z-060207T1200Z/

OSWEGO-JEFFERSON-LEWIS-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...OSWEGO...WATERTOWN...LOWVILLE

346 PM EST SAT FEB 4 2006

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 12 PM SUNDAY

TO 7 AM EST TUESDAY...

A LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 12 PM SUNDAY TO

7 AM EST TUESDAY.

LOW PRESSURE TRACKING NORTH OF LAKE ONTARIO SUNDAY MORNING WILL

BRING A COUPLE INCHES OF SNOW TO THE AREA. AS MUCH COLDER AIR IS

DRAWN IN FROM THE WEST SUNDAY EVENING AND SUNDAY NIGHT...STEADIER

LAKE SNOWS WILL SET UP EAST OF LAKE ONTARIO. THIS WILL INCLUDE THE

WATERTOWN AREA. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 12 INCHES ARE EXPECTED

BY MONDAY MORNING. THE SNOW...COMBINED WITH SOUTHWEST WINDS

GUSTING OVER 40 MPH...WILL PRODUCE FREQUENT WHITEOUTS AND VERY

POOR DRIVING CONDITIONS SUNDAY NIGHT.

CONDITIONS WILL REMAIN FAVORABLE FOR LAKE EFFECT SNOW THROUGH

MONDAY NIGHT. THE MOST PERSISTENT LAKE SNOW AREAS COULD RECEIVE UP

TO 2 FEET OF SNOW BY TUESDAY MORNING.

IN LAKE EFFECT SNOW THE WEATHER CAN VARY FROM LOCALLY HEAVY SNOW

IN NARROW BANDS TO CLEAR SKIES JUST A FEW MILES AWAY. IF YOU WILL

BE TRAVELING ACROSS THE REGION BE PREPARED FOR RAPID CHANGES IN

ROAD AND VISIBILITY CONDITIONS.

I prefer to have it rotated through every NFL city.  Maybe some fans would actually get to see the game instead of Hollywood types...

594499[/snapback]

I always said the team with the better record should host the game. I know it will never happen, but it would be cool. Your team does the best, you host the championship.

I have been to seven Super Bowls. Miami, San Francisco, Tampa, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Los Angeles, Atlanta. By far, in my experience, Minneapolis was the most fun, the best run, the most city involved, and the best experience of all of them. And it had nothing to do with the game.

594673[/snapback]

I was at the Minneapolis game, too. I despised the stadium (the game was no treat, as you mentioned), but loved the atmosphere and comraderie (sp?) there.

Obviously the game needs to be schedules far in advance of knowing who the teams are, so "home field" will never work. And, as some cities are really not equipped to handle the crowds or give the fans a decent experience, it really can't simply be rotated, IMO.

But, I'd like to see the NFL make a checklist/criterea for hosting the SB...and any city meeting that standard would be put into the rotation. The criterea needs to consider the quality/size of the stadium, luxury /weather protected boxes and seats/available hotel rooms and other facilities for tourists...but NOT weather, IMO. The game will sell out regardless of the weather and, while some corporate sponsors might not be thrilled with a cold weather site, they'll still buy the tickets, IMO.

An occasional cold weather/snow filled/rain drenched SB would add a lot of cache to the game, IMO. If you watch ESPN Classic (or some of the old NFL Films stuff) some of the greatest games in history have been cold weather/snow games. Given the current NFL philosophy, the chances of another cold weather/snow game being added to the "greatest" lists is slim.