Newly hired LB coach Johnny Holland has already

Tipster19

Don't you think it's a bit odd that he would accept the Bills' job, knowing that his preference is to go to Houston and they had an opening as well?  How often do things like this happen in NFL? 

So far, in a span of 1 month, Bills have had two surprise coaching resignations and a DC candidate chose not to take a job, even though he'd get a $100K raise.

Well Mularkey resigning was the best thing that could have happened, given the fact that NO ONE wanted to be an assistant under him. And him going to the Dolphins is even BETTER! :blink: WRT Bates, the Bills offered him $100K raise, but he already turned-down offers that were $150K HIGHER than that, so no real surprise there. If the Bills felt he were truly worth it, they would have started at $1M and gone up from there.

As for Holland, is it a loss per se? Is he a top assistant? Did the Lions have good LB'ers last year?

From The Bears Web:

Lloyd Lee, in his second season as the Bears defensive quality control coach, was hired on January 23, 2004, following three seasons as a pro scout with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. While at Tampa Bay, Lee assisted the pro personnel department in the recruiting and signing of NFL free agents as well as scouting and compiling reports on free agents and players on the Buccaneers roster. A native of Bloomington, Minn., Lee originally entered the NFL as a college free agent with the San Diego Chargers in 1998. Lee spent time on the Chargers roster and practice squad during the 1998 and 1999 seasons. He was a four-year starter at safety at Dartmouth College (1994-98), earning Division I-AA All-America honors and was an all-ECAC selection while helping lead Dartmouth to an undefeated season and Ivy League Championship in 1996. Lee, who was born August 10, 1976, in Minneapolis, Minn., is married to Katy.

From The Bears Web:

Lloyd Lee, in his second season as the Bears defensive quality control coach, was hired on January 23, 2004, following three seasons as a pro scout with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. While at Tampa Bay, Lee assisted the pro personnel department in the recruiting and signing of NFL free agents as well as scouting and compiling reports on free agents and players on the Buccaneers roster. A native of Bloomington, Minn., Lee originally entered the NFL as a college free agent with the San Diego Chargers in 1998. Lee spent time on the Chargers roster and practice squad during the 1998 and 1999 seasons. He was a four-year starter at safety at Dartmouth College (1994-98), earning Division I-AA All-America honors and was an all-ECAC selection while helping lead Dartmouth to an undefeated season and Ivy League Championship in 1996. Lee, who was born August 10, 1976, in Minneapolis, Minn., is married to Katy.

594331[/snapback]

I look at it this way. If you hire a head coach, he's expected to be responsible for everything. If he's an inexperienced head coach, like Mularkey was, it would be expected that he, or the team management, would bring in strong experienced coordinators (like LeBeau) to help him. They didn't with Clements, where MM went with someone he was familiar with, and we saw how that turned out. Mularkey's influence on th eoffense didn't help as was expected either.

If the new head coach is an experienced head coach, and he had a speciality of offense or defense (defense in the case of Jauron) he can bring in a defensive coordinator and assistants that aren't veryy experienced but guys he knows he can work with. The ex-defensive coordinator in Jauron will likely dictate the defense and the underlings will just carry out his direction.

The offensive coordinator selection is a little shaky for the Bills because Fairchild hasn't done it for long. You'd expect, with the head coach being defensive minded, to have a strong experienced Off. coordinator so you'd feel comfortable with him running the show on that side of the ball.

Generally most teams in the NFL aren't strong on both sides of the ball due to coaching and/or players. If they were, then they're likely playoff and Super Bowl contenders.

As we know, this is where Gregg Williams likely went wrong. He had these supposed great lists of coaches but he brought in an inexperienced Offensive coordinator who failed. Gray was hired as Def Coord. with no experience, but Williams had the experience there. Later Gilbride was brought in but his system and the players didn't match.

Maybe I'm just the odd duck out, but as a boss/manager, anytime I have been able to facilitate an employee's effort as it related to their family...even if it meant I losing a good employee to a transfer...I took a bit of pride in that. Good bosses and good managers treat employees like people. That means they respect and, in fact, encourage the simple fact that family comes first.

594288[/snapback]

No. I'm fine with that too, and agree with the inherent nobility of the move. Maybe I'd have felt better if Jauron swore hard and fought back a scream before he gushed about it being a "win-win" situation. I can easily accept that it was Holland's mistake and the Bills were gracious in letting him out of his agreement. But I also think Holland's credentials for the job are better than Lee's, and I wasn't THAT impressed with Holland's.

So to me, their 'it's ok, no harm done, we're moving on' kind of unemotional stance perhaps indicates they weren't that hot on Holland either. It's almost like it doesn't matter to the brain trust who they get to fill the openings. Maybe I'm thinking too much. Perhaps too little. What do I know? I'd put money on the latter. :blink:

No. I'm fine with that too, and agree with the inherent nobility of the move. Maybe I'd have felt better if Jauron swore hard and fought back a scream before he gushed about it being a "win-win" situation. I can easily accept that it was Holland's mistake and the Bills were gracious in letting him out of his agreement. But I also think Holland's credentials for the job are better than Lee's, and I wasn't THAT impressed with Holland's.

So to me, their 'it's ok, no harm done, we're moving on' kind of unemotional stance perhaps indicates they weren't that hot on Holland either. It's almost like it doesn't matter to the brain trust who they get to fill the openings. Maybe I'm thinking too much. Perhaps too little. What do I know? I'd put money on the latter.  :blink:

Well you also don't want someone who doesn't want to be there. And Holland doesn't strike me as a great LB'er coach (and neither does Lee, and I'd rather the Bills stayed with Blackmon).

Bills Lose LB Coach: LB coach Johnnie Holland was hired just last week by Dick Jauron he has now left the team to join Gary Kubiak's staff in Houston. Jauron granted the Texans permission to hire him for their LB coach job. That job was more appealing for Holland since it is near his hometown. He did say he hated missing the opportunity to work with Dick and has a tremendous amount of respect for him. A source told the Buffalo News that the team may hit the Bears organization again to fill the job. They have received permission to speak with Lloyd Lee who has been Chicago's defensive quality control coach the past two years.

Bills Lose LB Coach

594129[/snapback]

Reading Lee's Bio at CB.com the guy could give Chuck Lester a run for his money as he sounds like a guy who studies players as he used to be a scout for the Bucs.

Hey LABillzFan, to answer part of your question, DB Chad Cota was one player who came and sign and then suddenly decided that he wasn't interested. To be honest with you, I can't think of any others off the top of my head but I will say that there has been a few other FAs that came in and then immediately signed with another team that was a last resort. One example was OL Rick DeMulling who signed with Detroit. I'm not going back and doing all kinds of research to prove this statement. I've seen you on this board for a long time so I'm sure that you are a pretty avid Bills fan as in many other posters. Plenty of you witness how abruptly others have been here on orientation and went elsewhere. This is the basis of my concern. There is SO much information that we the fans are not privy to. Look at just the last year with the coaching, game and player strategy and the administration. We were told and sold one bill of sale and then things would take a 180 degree turn. Talk about storylines that would end suddenly and/or never develope! A season of The Sopranos has nothing on this organization.

Hey LABillzFan, to answer part of your question, DB Chad Cota was one player who came and sign and then suddenly decided that he wasn't interested. To be honest with you, I can't think of any others off the top of my head but I will say that there has been a few other FAs that came in and then immediately signed with another team that was a last resort. One example was OL Rick DeMulling who signed with Detroit. I'm not going back and doing all kinds of research to prove this statement. I've seen you on this board for a long time so I'm that you are a pretty avid Bills fan as in many other posters. Plenty of you witness how abruptly others have been here on orientation and went elsewhere. This is the basis of my concern. There is SO information much that we the fans are not privy to. Look at just the last year with the coaching, game and player strategy and the administration. We told and sold one bill of sale and then things would take a 360 degree turn. Talk about storylines that would end suddenly and/or never develope! A season of The Sopranos has nothing on this organization.

594509[/snapback]

Another example which is not exactly trhe same but closely fits examples being sought is that Dusty Ziegler was announced to have reached an agreement in prinicple to return to the Bills as an FA, but he got the same fiscal offer from NYG AND more important to him the guarantee that he would be a center and he reneged on this agreement in principle and signed a contract with NYG.

Its not the same as Holland has a contract and by law the Bills could have forced him in court to honor this agreement if we thought him punching the clock for us was more important than his having a job near his getting old Mom and Dad.

However, I think the more important thing here is the reality of the situation.

Dusty proved to me that he was a far better player than I gave him credit for being as a youngster and the Bills gave him credit for being when we repeatedly benched him, his successor proved to be worse than he was, and then he would shift to another position due to an injury on our squad and fill in admirably there.

However he did demonstrate to me that he demonstrated a lack of principle in walking out on his aggreement with us in principle. Perhaps he had true reasons in the shoddy assessment and treatment he received from the Bills, but these reasons provided no justification for what he did even though it turned out well for him since he got to an SB the bext year with NYG.

Yhe Holland move does reasonably strike me as a win-win since obviously this is good for Holland and actually should be good for the Bills as we build a rep as a place who treats employees like human being rather than as an employer who keep an employee here who really has good reasons for being elsewhere.

I think it strengthens us to really go after someone in court the next time this happens if we choose or need to do this.

Maybe I'm just the odd duck out, but as a boss/manager, anytime I have been able to facilitate an employee's effort as it related to their family...even if it meant I losing a good employee to a transfer...I took a bit of pride in that. Good bosses and good managers treat employees like people. That means they respect and, in fact, encourage the simple fact that family comes first.

594288[/snapback]

If you continue to post well thought out, intelligent posts, we are going to have to ask you to leave. :blush:

594288[/snapback]

As refreshing as that is to hear, it certainly happens far too seldom in today's society. Now when it does, we condemn everyone involved..Thanks LA. Why should it be so strange for anyone to actually put their family first???