Boy did we miss the boat on Pete Kendall!

Justice

I don't know who made the final decision on passing on Kendall, but MM was quoted as saying Kendall is to small for the OL scheme they use.

43137[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

I didn't know that the abanico scheme requires large individuals. (translation:...."fan", in bull fighting it's a two-handed cape maneuver, usually to bring bull to picador)

And C Jerry Fontenot. Signed Thursday by Cincy and played the entire game against Mia. on Sunday.

43170[/snapback]

Teague played the whole game for us at center, if I remember correctly. Does that say anything?

Teague played the whole game for us at center, if I remember correctly. Does that say anything?

43177[/snapback]

Sure, but Fotenot has guard skills as well, and is a bona fide, smart, proven NFL vet. Hard to think he wouldn't have added something to the O-line.

A guy that comes in, 3 days before a regular-season game, to a new team and makes line calls is pretty good, IMO.

Yes, Kendall and Fontenot are 2 major things that I'm disappointed with TD about.  I don't have any idea why they passed one or both of them up.

43352[/snapback]

In Kendall's case it was age, injury (he's missed 11 game the past 3 years) and salary (he got a ton from the Jets). As for Fontenot, if he were still valuable to as an OG, NO would have kept him, not to mention his age. He's mostly a center and the Bills have one in Teague.

I don't know who made the final decision on passing on Kendall, but MM was quoted as saying Kendall is too small for the OL scheme they use.

43137[/snapback]

I heard an interview with Kendall on ESPN radio All Night and he said the thing that attracted him to the Jests was the fact that it was a scheme that was ideal for an undersized guy like himself. He seemed to indicate that the Jets scheme had the guards pulling a lot and blocking much smaller players than the behemoth DTs plugging most NFL D-lines these days.

So your point seems consistent with that.

He also seemed to indicate that although a number of teams pursued him, few teams offered him guaranteed money, but that the Jets gave him a very sweet deal with guaranteed salary.

Sure, but Fotenot has guard skills as well, and is a bona fide, smart, proven NFL vet. Hard to think he wouldn't have added something to the O-line.

A guy that comes in, 3 days before a regular-season game, to a new team and makes line calls is pretty good, IMO.

43204[/snapback]

Teague also has tackle skills. for which he was signed and has never been given a chance.

In Kendall's case it was age, injury (he's missed 11 game the past 3 years) and salary (he got a ton from the Jets).  As for Fontenot, if he were still valuable to as an OG, NO would have kept him, not to mention his age.  He's mostly a center and the Bills have one in Teague.

43382[/snapback]

Well, FWIW he came in on the shortest of notice, played an entire game that was a win. It's not unusal for a savvy vet to play any line position on said short notice. AFAIK he signed for the minimum for his position and longevity.

I've said it several times and I'll say it again - the Bill's management has little idea (or concern) about how to scout the waiver wire.

The Bills organization nowadays, is far from the brightest bulb in the NFL...

I heard an interview with Kendall on ESPN radio All Night and he said the thing that attracted him to the Jests was the fact that it was a scheme that was ideal for an undersized guy like himself.  He seemed to indicate that the Jets scheme had the guards pulling a lot and blocking much smaller players than the behemoth DTs plugging most NFL D-lines these days.

So your point seems consistent with that.

He also seemed to indicate that although a number of teams pursued him, few teams offered him guaranteed money, but that the Jets gave him a very sweet deal with guaranteed salary.

43421[/snapback]

Don't pollute this thread with facts!!! We are trying to be mad at TD here :lol:

Well, FWIW he came in on the shortest of notice, played an entire game that was a win. It's not unusal for a savvy vet to play any line position on said short notice. AFAIK he signed for the minimum for his position and longevity.

I've said it several times and I'll say it again - the Bill's management has little idea (or concern) about how to scout the waiver wire.

The Bills organization nowadays, is far from the brightest bulb in the NFL...

43631[/snapback]

As I mentioned in my post above, I heard him interviewed last night and he said he got a good deal of guaranteed salary, and I think he said a 5 year deal where the last year was probabaly more thn the Jets will want to pay, at which time he wil either need to negotiate, move on or retire.

Here are his salaries for his contract:

2004 660000.00

2005 3340000.00

2006 4300000.00

2007 4070000.00

2008 6240000.00

Here is a blurb from KFFL indicating that $6 Million of it is guranteed over the first three years, and that the total for the first three years is $9 Million. I'm not sure exactly what the advantage is of guaranteeing it as salary rather than bonus, except that they don't have to pay it all up front and it only counts against the cap in the year it is paid.

Jets | Kendall Contract Details - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 6 Aug 2004 16:59:18 -0700

Updating previous reports, Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports New York Jets OG Pete Kendall's deal with the team is worth a little more than $20 million. While he didn't receive a signing bonus, the Jets are guaranteeing $6 million of the deal, which will come in the first-three years of the deal. During the first three years, he's set to make $9 million.

Needless to say, this is not a vet min contract, although it is a vet min cap hit for the first year.

As I mentioned in my post above, I heard him interviewed last night and he said he got a good deal of guaranteed salary, and I think he said a 5 year deal where the last year was probabaly more thn the Jets will want to pay, at which time he wil either need to negotiate, move on or retire.

Here are his salaries for his contract:

2004 660000.00

2005 3340000.00

2006 4300000.00

2007 4070000.00

2008 6240000.00

Here is a blurb from KFFL indicating that $6 Million of it is guranteed over the first three years, and that the total for the first three years is $9 Million.  I'm not sure exactly what the advantage is of guaranteeing it as salary rather than bonus, except that they don't have to pay it all up front and it only counts against the cap in the year it is paid.

Needless to say, this is not a vet min contract, although it is a vet min cap hit for the first year.

43679[/snapback]

Kendall's contract - not Fontenot's, correct?

Teague also has tackle skills. for which he was signed and has never been given a chance.

43443[/snapback]

I thought that Teague was put at tackle during his first camp with the Bills. That was also when Jennings was tried at center, wasn't it? I thought that neither of them performed that well where they were, so they were switched. I could be wrong on that.

Also, just as Fontenot obviously wasn't as necessary to New Orleans, Teague wasn't to Denver either. There were no rivers of tears shed when he left. Even if the Bills hadn't signed him, he was not going to be their starter at LT any more.

I thought that Teague was put at tackle during his first camp with the Bills.  That was also when Jennings was tried at center, wasn't it?  I thought that neither of them performed that well where they were, so they were switched.  I could be wrong on that. 

Also, just as Fontenot obviously wasn't as necessary to New Orleans, Teague wasn't to Denver either.  There were no rivers of tears shed when he left.  Even if the Bills hadn't signed him, he was not going to be their starter at LT any more.

43695[/snapback]

Sorry to disagree with you here RR, but Teague WOULD still be their starter at LT to this day if they kept him. Their LT's since he left have actually be worse, and that's even when he was playing on a still-recovering knee.