from a friend who teaches at vandy: on jay cutler

i mentioned to a good friend of mine who is a prof at vanderbilt (and a cal grad) that many seem to think that cutler is the best qb in the draft. here's his response:

'obviously ludicrous. It reminds of 1994, when Jason Kidd and Lamond Murray both went in the NBA lottery from Cal. I wondered how many lottery picks one team needed not to lose to Wisconsin-Green Bay in the first round of the NCAA tournament. How many #1 draft picks does Vanderbilt need not to lose to Middle Tennessee State at home (thus earning its first winning season since 1982)?

That said, Cutler is pretty good. Maybe the third best QB in the draft.'

His logic escapes me.

589553[/snapback]

the point is that guys like lamond murray (and many others) get all hyped up despite the fact that they performed poorly in big games against poor opponents. speaking of cal, in 1996 three of their defensive players were drafted in the first 40 picks: regan upshaw at 13 overall, duane clemons at 16, and je'rod cherry at 40. this occurred despite the fact that they had one of the worst defenses in the country in 1995. not surprisingly, none of them turned out to be very good in the pros despite their very good measuables.

I am at Vanderbilt. I'm not a Prof but I do teach and work here...Cutler is gonna be very good...I don't think he's NFL ready to start obviously. But, the thing is he's a leader and raises the play of the guys around him. The team seemed to believe that they had a chance with him at the helm. Remember we're talking Vanderbilt here...

Your teammates believeing in you - you just can't coach that...plus he didn't have the supporting cast Leinart and Young had.

He took the team to Florida and Tennessee and won at UT and lost at the Swamp in 2OT.

Did he play some bad games? Absolutely...But I saw Eli Manning stink up the joint here at Dudley Field and still win because the rest of the Ole Miss team showed up.

I don't think E.Manning is half the QB Cutler is - yet because of the Manning name he gets the press and the benefit of the doubt. I'm not saying Manning isn't gonna be successful, because I think he is, but Cutler with the same kind of support, will do just as well if not better...

Charles

Guest BackInDaDay
I am at Vanderbilt.  I'm not a Prof but I do teach and work here...Cutler is gonna be very good...I don't think he's NFL ready to start obviously.  But, the thing is he's a leader and raises the play of the guys around him.  The team seemed to believe that they had a chance with him at the helm.  Remember we're talking Vanderbilt here...

Your teammates believeing in you - you just can't coach that...plus he didn't have the supporting cast Leinart and Young had.

He took the team to Florida and Tennessee and won at UT and lost at the Swamp in 2OT.

Did he play some bad games?  Absolutely...But I saw Eli Manning stink up the joint here at Dudley Field and still win because the rest of the Ole Miss team showed up.

I don't think E.Manning is half the QB Cutler is - yet because of the Manning name he gets the press and the benefit of the doubt.  I'm not saying Manning isn't gonna be successful, because I think he is, but Cutler with the same kind of support, will do just as well if not better...

Charles

589766[/snapback]

What happened against LSU? I heard he was sacked a whole bunch, picked off acouple times, and totally shaken by the Tiger's D. Does he have any mobility, or is he a sitting duck back there?

Drafting a QB in the first round (and even on the first day) would be such a disaster for this team it would not even be funny.

Trading up and giving away resources sorely needed on a team which is not one one player away from simply making the playoffs would actually merit tears from anyone who cares about the Bills in my view.

Draftin Leinart, Young or Cutler would simply be a disaster for this team IMHO.

Guest BackInDaDay
Drafting a QB in the first round (and even on the first day) would be such a disaster for this team it would not even be funny. 

Trading up and giving away resources sorely needed on a team which is not one one player away from simply making the playoffs would actually merit tears from anyone who cares about the Bills in my view.

589806[/snapback]

Now that's a post!

I agree 1000% !

589806[/snapback]

As we stand today, I agree with you 100%. However, if we address, say, the OL and DL in free agency in a major way, then I can see investing one of our four Day 1 picks on a QB.

the point is that guys like lamond murray (and many others) get all hyped up despite the fact that they performed poorly in big games against poor opponents. 

589709[/snapback]

Like sort of our own beloved Eric Flowers.....This guy was no better than a 4th

rounder.....The senior bowls so hyped him up that he became our 1st round

pick....

Man, I thought it was just me.  I couldn't quite tell how that would determine if Cutler was better than Leinart or Young.  Those acedemics always think over my head though.

589557[/snapback]

Yes, that was painful to try to figure out. I am beginning to wonder if it's just something that is in the water in Vanderbilt. There was a guy on here during the season bending over backwards trying to sell us on Justin Geisinger, from Vanderbilt, winning the RG spot next fall. After reading through his post, it appeared the only reason he had to offer was "I went to Vanderbilt, too".

Yes, that was painful to try to figure out.  I am beginning to wonder if it's just something that is in the water in Vanderbilt.  There was a guy on here during the season bending over backwards trying to sell us on Justin Geisinger, from Vanderbilt, winning the RG spot next fall.  After reading through his post, it appeared the only reason he had to offer was "I went to Vanderbilt, too".

590042[/snapback]

um, it ain't that hard to figure out. he's saying he's not as great as the deifiers are making him out to be. he's hardly pumping up a la geisinger's backer(s).

i mentioned to a good friend of mine who is a prof at vanderbilt (and a cal grad) that many seem to think that cutler is the best qb in the draft. here's his response:

'obviously ludicrous. It reminds of 1994, when Jason Kidd and Lamond Murray both went in the NBA lottery from Cal. I wondered how many lottery picks one team needed not to lose to Wisconsin-Green Bay in the first round of the NCAA tournament. How many #1 draft picks does Vanderbilt need not to lose to Middle Tennessee State at home (thus earning its first winning season since 1982)?

That said, Cutler is pretty good. Maybe the third best QB in the draft.'

589478[/snapback]

Well I'm a little confused. I couldn't decide if your friend does or doesn't like Cutler. Perhaps it is because I just read nuklz2594's "It ain't rocket surgery" post.

I think I got lost trying to figure out what "I wondered how many lottery picks one team needed not to lose to Wisconsin-Green Bay in the first round of the NCAA tournament." meant.