Where is the Bates DC offer right now?

How many days has it been since we offered Bates the job? I didn't know NFL job offers sat on the table this long! I'm baffled by Bates attitude. Kubiak apparently doesn't want him in Houston. He ought to reconsider his assumed value.

Meanwhile, are the Bills looking at other DC's? I saw blurbs on the guys from Chicago and Baltimore (Lynn & Fewell) but no word since. Have the Bills closed the book on Bates? Are the Lynn and Fewell interviews meant to put the heat on Bates? Inquiring minds want to know!! Throw me a bone, people!

PTR

I don't think the Bills are going to say Bates refused their offer, when they never published in the 1st place that an offer was ever made to Bates....

Probably the crooky professor from ESPN will eventually get around to it....Remember he is from pittsburgh and lives out in Seattle....Probably he is still figuring out which team to support in the superbowl...

How many days has it been since we offered Bates the job?  I didn't know NFL job offers sat on the table this long!  I'm baffled by Bates attitude.  Kubiak apparently doesn't want him in Houston.  He ought to reconsider his assumed value. 

Meanwhile, are the Bills looking at other DC's?  I saw blurbs on the guys from Chicago and Baltimore (Lynn & Fewell) but no word since.  Have the Bills closed the book on Bates?  Are the Lynn and Fewell interviews meant to put the heat on Bates?  Inquiring minds want to know!!  Throw me a bone, people!

PTR

587546[/snapback]

Something I read said that Bates had still not responded to the Bills offer, while others have said he didn't like the Bills financial offer. The fact that they are interviewing guys like Lynn and Fewell (sp?) would seem to indicate that they are moving on....

Tidbit on Bates from Florio's site:

McNAIR NOT ENAMORED WITH STAFF

A league source tells us that Texans owner Bob McNair isn't thrilled with the assistant coaches hired to date by Gary Kubiak, and that McNair is pushing for a "big name" to run the team's defense.

The problem is that one of the biggest names out there -- former Packers defensive coordinator Jim Bates -- would not be inclined to keep defensive backs coach Jon Hoke, whom McNair personally likes.

No effort has been made to contact the Dolphins for permission to interview co-defensive coordinator Richard Smith, apparently due to McNair's desire to install a heavy hitter. But beyond Bates and former Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell, there aren't many big names available on that side of the ball.

Kubiak meanwhile is trying to lure a guy with head coaching experience to his offensive staff. Kubiak interviewed former Packers head coach Mike Sherman on Friday for the position of offensive line coach and assistant head coach.

Tidbit on Bates from Florio's site:

McNAIR NOT ENAMORED WITH STAFF

A league source tells us that Texans owner Bob McNair isn't thrilled with the assistant coaches hired to date by Gary Kubiak, and that McNair is pushing for a "big name" to run the team's defense.

The problem is that one of the biggest names out there -- former Packers defensive coordinator Jim Bates -- would not be inclined to keep defensive backs coach Jon Hoke, whom McNair personally likes.

No effort has been made to contact the Dolphins for permission to interview co-defensive coordinator Richard Smith, apparently due to McNair's desire to install a heavy hitter.  But beyond Bates and former Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell, there aren't many big names available on that side of the ball.

Kubiak meanwhile is trying to lure a guy with head coaching experience to his offensive staff.  Kubiak interviewed former Packers head coach Mike Sherman on Friday for the position of offensive line coach and assistant head coach.

587710[/snapback]

It's nice to know there are some who are worse off than we are! :angry:

I don't think the Bills are going to say Bates refused their offer, when they never published in the 1st place that an offer was ever made to Bates....

Probably the crooky professor from ESPN will eventually get around to it....Remember he is from pittsburgh and lives out in Seattle....Probably he is still figuring out which team to support in the superbowl...

587556[/snapback]

The Great Gazoo yesterday said Bates would probably just sit out the year and take the Packer $ because it was more than the Bills offered

I suspect Bates is still in the mix. There may be a number of issues to resolve before he decides to come. I think his "sitting out" is leverage and as it comes down to actually sitting out versus coaching a fairly talented defense, he'll chose to coach. I would think there are discussions about Clements and Adams and which side of the ball the first draft pick is going to fall, which might influence Bates' decision almost as much as money.

The Great Gazoo yesterday said Bates would probably just sit out the year and take the Packer $ because it was more than the Bills offered

588097[/snapback]

From pencil neck...

Bates willing to sit out: The weekend hasn't done any more to convince Jim Bates to take the Bills' defensive coordinator job, so Dick Jauron will probably have to go in a different direction. Bates is frustrated. He lost the head coaching job in Green Bay to Mike McCarthy and thought he had a good offer to be the Texans' defensive coordinator, but Gary Kubiak decided to go a different direction. The Bills' offer wasn't great, so Bates is willing to sit out two years -- the Packers would pay his salary -- until he finds something that interests him.

It aint over till it's over.

Ralph may up the ante or something since the search is dragging on.

588256[/snapback]

I expect him to sign with Houston eventually, especially if Sherman accepts the Texans' offer to be their OC.

Houston has a better upside for burnishing Bate's future HC chances, and a more limited downside than taking the Bills job (if Houston continues to suck, he can blame it on the personnel). He's probably using the Bills offer as leverage to get more $$$ out of McNair, too.

I expect him to sign with Houston eventually, especially if Sherman accepts the Texans' offer to be their OC. 

Houston has a better upside for burnishing Bate's future HC chances, and a more limited downside than taking the Bills job (if Houston continues to suck, he can blame it on the personnel).  He's probably using the Bills offer as leverage to get more $$$ out of McNair, too.

588265[/snapback]

I think Sherman is only being considered for the OL coach....Not the OC....

I think Sherman is only being considered for the OL coach....Not the OC....

588719[/snapback]

Offensive line/assistant head coach. But I'd expect him to be the de facto OC rather than Troy Calhoun who is the nomical OC. I suspect this is something being pushed by McNair, who's reportedly unhappy with Kubiak's coaching hires so far.

If I were Bates, I'd have serious reservations about taking the Bills' job.

- Up until this past year, the defense was ranked very highly. So expectations might be pretty high.

- A lot of the defensive players are aging in a hurry.

- Many of those defensive guys might not be a good fit for whatever system Bates has. The Bills have too many needs on offense to commit a whole lot to defense in the draft.

- As a result, the Bills' defense would probably not rank very highly in its first year or two under Bates. This would reduce his chance of getting a head coaching position.

If I were Bates, I'd have serious reservations about taking the Bills' job.

- Up until this past year, the defense was ranked very highly. So expectations might be pretty high.

- A lot of the defensive players are aging in a hurry.

- Many of those defensive guys might not be a good fit for whatever system Bates has. The Bills have too many needs on offense to commit a whole lot to defense in the draft.

- As a result, the Bills' defense would probably not rank very highly in its first year or two under Bates. This would reduce his chance of getting a head coaching position.

And sitting out would help him get a HC'ing position next year? No way. And it's not like Houston's situation is any better. He's a fool if he sits out the year.

And it's not like Houston's situation is any better. 

588789[/snapback]

Houston has nowhere to go but up, so I think it's actually a better situation to walk into. Plus the Texans are $14 million under the 2006 cap and can afford to buy a few quality FAs.

Houston has nowhere to go but up, so I think it's actually a better situation to walk into.  Plus the Texans are $14 million under the 2006 cap and can afford to buy a few quality FAs.

Houston has nowhere to go but up just like the Bills do. And if they get Fat Ted to return, they'll immensely improve the defense. And the Bills will have as much as the Texans, if not more, once they cut the deadwood.