Executive authority

TPS

Frankly I'm more concerned that our entire society is evolving into one where someone has to be blamed for every issue that comes along, and Congress appears to be leading the charge with hearings about a hurricane. :doh:

Where does that end? Are we going to censure Mother Nature? Is all policy going to be driven by whatever the mass media chooses to hype? Maybe we should have an embargo against Aruba until they find the blonde girl.

Frankly I'm more concerned that our entire society is evolving into one where someone has to be blamed for every issue that comes along, and Congress appears to be leading the charge with hearings about a hurricane:doh:

Where does that end?  Are we going to censure Mother Nature?  Is all policy going to be driven by whatever the mass media chooses to hype?  Maybe we should have an embargo against Aruba until they find the blonde girl.

586643[/snapback]

It's not hearings about a hurricane, it's about the response. And people ought to be concerned when the head of FEMA, in the midst of the crisis, was more concerned about his dinner reservation than the flooding of the city.

It's not hearings about a hurricane, it's about the response.  And people ought to be concerned when the head of FEMA, in the midst of the crisis, was more concerned about his dinner reservation than the flooding of the city.

586652[/snapback]

Yeah, let's invent more b.s. because the media says it's so. They evacuated tens of thousands of people who failed to heed the evacuation order -- sounds like a terrible failure. The person I know that was trapped for 2 days before being rescued was pretty damn appreciative of the government's efforts.

But let's waste millions of dollars on hearings and choosing sacrificial lambs so everyone can feel better.

Yeah, let's invent more b.s. because the media says it's so.  They evacuated tens of thousands of people who failed to heed the evacuation order -- sounds like a terrible failure.  The person I know that was trapped for 2 days before being rescued was pretty damn appreciative of the government's efforts.

But let's waste millions of dollars on hearings and choosing sacrificial lambs so  everyone can feel better.

586694[/snapback]

If most of the people had been rescued in 2 days, they would have felt appreciative too and there would be no need for hearings.

Unfortunately, thousands were at the convention center for 2 days before Brown even knew they were there.

Also, it took Bush more than 2 days to get back to Washington from his PR campaign.

BTW, even Bush now admits that mistakes were made, so you can go ahead and agree with him on this. Or maybe you're one of those Pinko Communists that doesn't agree with everything Bush says.

Yeah, let's invent more b.s. because the media says it's so.  They evacuated tens of thousands of people who failed to heed the evacuation order -- sounds like a terrible failure.  The person I know that was trapped for 2 days before being rescued was pretty damn appreciative of the government's efforts.

But let's waste millions of dollars on hearings and choosing sacrificial lambs so  everyone can feel better.

586694[/snapback]

So Congress shouldn't review federal response to disasters to see how to improve it?

It's not hearings about a hurricane, it's about the response.  And people ought to be concerned when the head of FEMA, in the midst of the crisis, was more concerned about his dinner reservation than the flooding of the city.

586652[/snapback]

while we're witchhunting, lets bring folks from the media to testify. like that infobabe in the canoe and the 2 guys that walked past her.

So Congress shouldn't review federal response to disasters to see how to improve it?

586842[/snapback]

I see two different questions here:

1) Should federal response to disasters be reviewed to see how to improve performance? Yes. Even when performance is good, it should be reviewed.

2) Should it be done by Congress? :doh::doh:

As a matter of fact, one of our posters here was invloved with reviewing the performance of the federal effort. He possesses some knowledge and experience on the subject, and was onsite collecting data while the relief effort was still going on. Is a bunch of bozos, for the most part not the least bit qualified in emergency response, sitting in judgement a thousand miles and six months away from events really going to accomplish anything better? Best they'll do is tell the media who they should tell us to blame.

1) Should federal response to disasters be reviewed to see how to improve performance?  Yes.  Even when performance is good, it should be reviewed.

2) Should it be done by Congress?  :doh:  :doh:

As a matter of fact, one of our posters here was invloved with reviewing the performance of the federal effort.  He possesses some knowledge and experience on the subject, and was onsite collecting data while the relief effort was still going on.  Is a bunch of bozos, for the most part not the least bit qualified in emergency response, sitting in judgement a thousand miles and six months away from events really going to accomplish anything better?  Best they'll do is tell the media who they should tell us to blame.

586911[/snapback]

Which is why Congress should appoint an independent panel to review the situation. Is it really so hard for Congress to get people who are outside of the situation to review the stuff?

Oh yeah, cause its US Politics. :doh:

Seriously though, better there be a review done by congress, then one not at all. If some good comes out of it which helps refine the process, which I'm not SO cynical that I believe that it won't contain anything of value, it should be done. God knows Congress isn't going to use our money in a better way.

Which is why Congress should appoint an independent panel to review the situation.  Is it really so hard for Congress to get people who are outside of the situation to review the stuff?

Oh yeah,  cause its US Politics.  :doh:

Seriously though, better there be a review done by congress, then one not at all.  If some good comes out of it which helps refine the process, which I'm not SO cynical that I believe that it won't contain anything of value, it should be done.  God knows Congress isn't going to use our money in a better way.

586975[/snapback]

But if people who actually understand what was going on, what should have been going on, what was done well, and what needed improvement are conducting / have conducted a review; is there anything to be gained by having congresscritters grandstand?

I don't see where congresscritters can do anything in a situation like this for non-political reasons.

1) Should federal response to disasters be reviewed to see how to improve performance?  Yes.  Even when performance is good, it should be reviewed.

2) Should it be done by Congress?  :doh:  :doh:

As a matter of fact, one of our posters here was invloved with reviewing the performance of the federal effort.  He possesses some knowledge and experience on the subject, and was onsite collecting data while the relief effort was still going on.  Is a bunch of bozos, for the most part not the least bit qualified in emergency response, sitting in judgement a thousand miles and six months away from events really going to accomplish anything better?  Best they'll do is tell the media who they should tell us to blame.

586911[/snapback]

By the same logic, Congress hsould investigate almost nothing as their only area of expertise is politics.

Sure they'll be grandstanding and finger pointing, but there will also be a some transparency for the American people to see how government worked or didn't work in regards to a tragic situation. Having no investigation or not having any accountability to the taxpaying public is an even worse idea that will breed even more distrust of th government.

But if people who actually understand what was going on, what should have been going on, what was done well, and what needed improvement are conducting / have conducted a review; is there anything to be gained by having congresscritters grandstand?

I don't see where congresscritters can do anything in a situation like this for non-political reasons.

587004[/snapback]

I agree that a review by an outside source would be much more effective...

however, would there be better a review then none at all?

Yeah, pretty much.  Has a Congressional investigation ever produced anything of practical worth?

587069[/snapback]

They found out I put a cigar in some fat girl's cha-cha.

I don't need to tell you how much residual tail I've gotten from the Starr Report.

They found out I put a cigar in some fat girl's cha-cha.

I don't need to tell you how much residual tail I've gotten from the Starr Report.

587120[/snapback]

:blink:

Not to mention the pardons!

I don't even want to know the things Mark Rich's wife did to you...... :D

I think it is right to blame the federal governement in this case... Yes, it is mother nature but, look at it this way:

You live in a house and all the people around you dig a ditch and fill it with water... They keep on digging that ditch deeper and deeper... Your property begins to sit lower and lower... When your place floods... You are not gonna blame mother nature but, the people that made the situation worse.

Even if the federal government was throwing money at NOLA through the years to shut up... Do you think they could have stopped the feds?

"Don't kick and scream babe... Sit back, relaaaax, and enjoy it!"

:(;)

This is a special situation where someone's engineering made someone else's world a nightmare.

You would blame your neighbor too.

Having no investigation or not having any accountability to the taxpaying public is an even worse idea that will breed even more distrust of th government.

587047[/snapback]

And this is a bad thing?

The more people distrust the two parties who have a duopoly on power, the better chance we have of a REAL change in this country, one that's LONG overdue.