Jauron radio interview Tues. evening

stevewin

On the way home tonight I just happened to catch DJ being interviewed on 'Sporting News Radio' (Chris Russel(?) filling in on for Tim Brando). This is what I can put together from the notes I scribbled while working the stick (my car's) and driving with my knees :unsure:

- Do you feel more pressure to win quickly given the age of Ralph and Marv :ph34r:

Appreciate the opportunity and really respect both of them. In this league you always want to win as quickly as you can. Everyone's in the same boat

- Host took a shot at MM - he said (his voice dripping w/ sarcasm) MM left because he "wasn't comfortable" with the situation

Ralph and Marv were a great part of the deal. Has a great deal of respect for Marv. Wanted to clear up the fact that him and Marv were not good friends and did not know each other well - had only met each other casually during their time in Chicago. The interview was the first time spent in-depth time times with him. Ralph and Marv "very impressive". Looking forward to hopefully winning soon.

- Villarial's positive comments

Appreciate players making positive remarks. With players it's all about getting on the same page - and mostly about hard work. And need a little luck, and stay healthy. Get everyone working together then have a chance.

- "recycle/retread" label

I bring experience which is a good thing. Circumstances and timing have a lot to do w/ having success or not in a particular situation.

People can have their opinions. It is what makes this game great - the passion.

- Bears teams were criticized for not aggressive offense - what is your philosophy

Most important thing is to first put staff together first. Then evaluate personnel and start looking at strengths. Build on what we think they do best.

- What about this Bills team

Almost any NFL team has a core of good players - the key is to have enough of them and to have them on both sides of the ball. To win in the NFL you need to be strong everywhere - both sides of the ball and the kicking game.

What you want to do is have opponent "be threatened" by running game. Need to establish run to open pass - but need to be able to run and pass. <repeated injury/luck comment>

- Then the host wrapped up w/ some lame riff on snow/chicken wings blah blah (said he used to cover Buffalo in the the Flutie/Johnson era?) then more lame stuff asking best place to eat in Detroit blah blah.

There's a couple things I find interesting. Comments have been made before about a potential lack of confidence showing in comments like "hopefully win" and "have a chance". Also - this is not the first time I've heard him be explicit about how important lack of injuries and luck and ball bounces and circumstances are in having success. I'm sure he feels he's being candid and realistic - in some ways I think he feels he needs to defend his past record as "circumstances beyond anyone's control".

Another thing that for some reason strikes me is how instead of specifically talking about Bills fans (and even the Bills team) a lot of his comments now are more broad - the league has a lot of great franchises, all teams have good players, what makes the league great is the passion of all the fans. I'm sure that is because he doesn't feel like he really knows anything about the team/fans yet and doesn't want to say something he doesn't really know or believe first hand yet - and I actually find that refreshing (instead of coming in pandering and sucking up with some "Rah Rah the Bills fans are the greatest in the world!!!!!" jive). Even though it's a small thing I think it shows his BS meter is turned very low (if on at all) - and is consistent with player's comments about what you see is what you get and what he says is what he means.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of find it refreshing that he uses words like "hope to win" etc. He's realistic. Just as they say QB's get too much credit when they win and too much blame when they lose, that holds true for the coach too.

Most of these guys all ride into town telling the owner he better start building a case for the Lombardi trophy, only to be ridden out of town on a rail. And not just referring to MM, GW, and TD, but other teams as well.

Another thing that for some reason strikes me is how instead of specifically talking about Bills fans (and even the Bills team) a lot of his comments now are more broad - the league has a lot of great franchises, all teams have good players, what makes the league great is the passion of all the fans.  I'm sure that is because he doesn't feel like he really knows anything about the team/fans yet and doesn't want to say something he doesn't really know or believe first hand yet - and I actually find that refreshing (instead of coming in pandering and sucking up with some "Rah Rah the Bills fans are the greatest in the world!!!!!" jive).  Even though it's a small thing I think it shows his BS meter is turned very low (if on at all) - and is consistent with player's comments about what you see is what you get and what he says is what he means.

582777[/snapback]

As shocked as I was when he was hired, I thought the same thing while watching his press conference. I relayed the info from the presser to a buddy who thought he was being too wishy-washy. I responded that it wasn't wishy-washy, but that he wasn't trying to blow smoke up our collective arses.

I may live to regret this, but I'm really starting to like this guy's style, his mindset: No BS, what you see is what you get, and don't expect him to go out of his way to tell you what you want to hear.

I'm more than a little cool with that.

And I do think he's defending his past record.  Also maybe he realizes that his offense sucked because of the coordinators?

582809[/snapback]

I really hope that is the case. I do not like the fact that ESPN mentioned his OC in Chicago, John Schoop, might be at the top of his list here. If that happens, that shows me he has not learned from past mistakes and gives me no confidence he will be any better his second time around.

Although I wasn't thrilled about the hire, if he stays away from his buddy Schoop and builds a strong staff, I'm more than willing to give this guy a shot. Of course, the fact Soprano is predicting Caldwell really has me nervous :ph34r:

As shocked as I was when he was hired, I thought the same thing while watching his press conference.  I relayed the info from the presser to a buddy who thought he was being too wishy-washy.  I responded that it wasn't wishy-washy, but that he wasn't trying to blow smoke up our collective arses.

I may live to regret this, but I'm really starting to like this guy's style, his mindset:  No BS, what you see is what you get, and don't expect him to go out of his way to tell you what you want to hear. 

I'm more than a little cool with that.

582880[/snapback]

That may not be more than wishful thinking. From what I read - the guy is an emotionless statue and his PCs are utterly useless. He is known for saying nothing...

What may seem refreshing now will grow very, very old if this team hits a losing streak.

That may not be more than wishful thinking.  From what I read - the guy is an emotionless statue and his PCs are utterly useless.  He is known for saying nothing...

What may seem refreshing now will grow very, very old if this team hits a losing streak.

583102[/snapback]

And yet, it may very well seem refreshing after hearing "We just have to execute better" every single week... :)

That may not be more than wishful thinking.  From what I read - the guy is an emotionless statue and his PCs are utterly useless.  He is known for saying nothing...

583102[/snapback]

But of course the last time it mattered what a coach's tone was like in a press conference was never. :)

If I'm not mistaken, the interviewer, Chris Russell, is Tim Russells (Meet The Press) son. The Russell's being from Buffalo makes for a lttle bit of a homer interview. And with some of the national media beating the crap out of the Bills, it is somewhat a breath of fresh air to have a little pro-Buffalo out there.

And yet, it may very well seem refreshing after hearing "We just have to execute better" every single week...  :)

583104[/snapback]

I guess a kick in the head is different than a kick in the balls, but in the end I think it really will be a wash.

I'm just pointing out one of the aspects of his (lack of) personality that Bears fans grew to detest over their losing seasons. Considering he is coming in with less than little fanfare, look for the complaints about the lack of emotion, the lack of information, etc... to come sooner rather than later.

I'm just pointing out one of the aspects of his (lack of) personality that Bears fans grew to detest over their losing seasons. Considering he is coming in with less than little fanfare, look for the complaints about the lack of emotion, the lack of information, etc... to come sooner rather than later.

583116[/snapback]

Winning solves everything! The one positive that has come out over these past couple days is that this Dick seems to understand that!

But of course the last time it mattered what a coach's tone was like in a press conference was never.  :)

583106[/snapback]

if they didn't matter then why do they have them?

They are sources of information and all the beat writers use them in their stories. Media coverage IS pretty important because they can influence the perception of the team by the fanbase.

Winning solves everything!  The one positive that has come out over these past couple days is that this Dick seems to understand that!

583119[/snapback]

that's true. I am only suggesting that the losses will be more acrimonious if his PCs are conducted like they were in Chicago. Remember, football isn't real life - it is just entertainment. Having a coach with likable personality would help get fans over the rough spots.

If I'm not mistaken, the interviewer, Chris Russell, is Tim Russells (Meet The Press) son.  The Russell's being from Buffalo makes for a lttle bit of a homer interview.  And with some of the national media beating the crap out of the Bills, it is somewhat a breath of fresh air to have a little pro-Buffalo out there.

583115[/snapback]

Russells? Russell? I think you mean Russert.

If I'm not mistaken, the interviewer, Chris Russell, is Tim Russells (Meet The Press) son.  The Russell's being from Buffalo makes for a lttle bit of a homer interview.  And with some of the national media beating the crap out of the Bills, it is somewhat a breath of fresh air to have a little pro-Buffalo out there.

583115[/snapback]

I do not know who Chris Russell is, but assuming that name is right he is not th son of Tim RUSSERT from Meet the Press and Buffalo fame.

I guess a kick in the head is different than a kick in the balls, but in the end I think it really will be a wash.

583116[/snapback]

I can see that happening. Recall how MM was praised when he first got here for being a no-nonsense guy - things can very quickly go from "man of few words" to "meathead" when the losses mount.

It still boils down to W-L. If the team is winning and DJ acted like Forrest Gump at the podium, people would praise his "modest reticence"...

Winning solves everything!  The one positive that has come out over these past couple days is that this Dick seems to understand that!

583119[/snapback]

Agreed, the question is not whether his attitude will get old if we lose (it will) th question is whether his attitude and approach wil help us win.

Since productive players seem to be reacting positively to playing for him (like Urlacher or Villarial playing for him back when CV was good (he is on the backside of his career and not as good anymore) I am pleased about what he has to say.

Good attitude does not gurantee good play at all and it is overarching team feel that will make the marginal difference in helping/puishing players to do all they can and added into that is the good/bad breaks and how a team responds to them.

I defintiely like the understated straight shooter approach Jauron has a rep for rather than the tough guy act and mercurial random performance of a guy like a Tom Coughlin.

The irony is that though there may be a greater chance of immediate success with a Coughlin type, even winning gets old with a fellow like him in charge.