The Buffalo Bills choose Jay Cutler, QB Vanderbilt

As we approach the draft, i'm noticing more and more that Jay Cutler is becoming the "darling" of the draft ala Philip Rivers in 2004.

Most project him going to Miami with the 17th pick right now. I expect that after the Senior Bowl, his stock will rise even more than it has already. Bringing him to around our position.

Now i'm not saying that we should draft Jay Cutler. Certainly not. But what if Williams, Ngata, Hawk, and Ferguson are all gone? What if this team has already given up on J.P. Losman and they select him. What would the reaction be?

Just a curiousity post.....

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As we approach the draft, i'm noticing more and more that Jay Cutler is becoming the "darling" of the draft ala Philip Rivers in 2004.

Most project him going to Miami with the 17th pick right now. I expect that after the Senior Bowl, his stock will rise even more than it has already. Bringing him to around our position.

Now i'm not saying that we should draft Jay Cutler. Certainly not. But what if Williams, Ngata, Hawk, and Ferguson are all gone? What if this team has already given up on J.P. Losman and they select him. What would the reaction be?

582195[/snapback]

Cutler has drawn comparisons to Favre. I know another college QB that drew comparisons to Favre and we have him. If J.P is provided with some stability I think that he has what it takes to be successful.

No way.

If the Bills select a QB then they are selecting for the future.

The Bills will select the biggest, best lineman on the board unless Hawk is there.

I am still unconvinced that the Jets will take Ferguson Unless they have already signed a bigtime FA Running Back by draft day.

I think it would be a wasted pick. We do'nt need Cutler. However, let's say he is around where we pick and there are teams that really want him. I say we listen to eveyone who wants to trade up and take the best offer we got. That is of course unless there is no one on the board we can justifiably take at the 8th pick.

Cutler has drawn comparisons to Favre. I know another college QB that drew comparisons to Favre and we have him. If J.P is provided with some stability I think that he has what it takes to be successful.

582206[/snapback]

I agree 100%

But that's not what i'm getting at. I have a hunch that Ralph doesn't like J.P. I think that's part of the reason Sherman's not here. I could definitely see them pulling something like this.

I'm simply trying to gauge what the response and/or the shock would be in this move.

I agree 100%

But that's not what i'm getting at. I have a hunch that Ralph doesn't like J.P. I think that's part of the reason Sherman's not here. I could definitely see them pulling something like this.

I'm simply trying to gauge what the response and/or the shock would be in this move.

582216[/snapback]

I think that a lot of Bills fans, myself included, would be up in arms since we have a lot more pressing needs at OL and DL.

582195[/snapback]

kill myself :lol:

I think it would be a wasted pick. We do'nt need Cutler. However, let's say he is around where we pick and there are teams that really want him. I say we listen to eveyone who wants to trade up and take the best offer we got. That is of course unless there is no one on the board we can justifiably take at the 8th pick.

582215[/snapback]

I've seen several mocks having Detroit take Cutler at #9.

Bills would be in prime position at #8 to trade down with someone looking to move ahead of Detroit.

Too bad Marv's philosphy is to not trade on draft day.

The more better prospects there are, the better our options look. Right now, there seem to be seven consensus top picks: Bush, Young, Leinhart, Hawk, Ferguson, Ngata, and Williams. We pick 8th, meaning we could miss out on all of them and take a second-tier prospect. Cutler at worst bumps someone down to us, or even lets us trade the spot to someone who covets him. More prospects, more prospects!

The more better prospects there are, the better our options look.  Right now, there seem to be seven consensus top picks:  Bush, Young, Leinhart, Hawk, Ferguson, Ngata, and Williams.  We pick 8th, meaning we could miss out on all of them and take a second-tier prospect.  Cutler at worst bumps someone down to us, or even lets us trade the spot to someone who covets him.  More prospects, more prospects!

582335[/snapback]

It doesn't really seem from the mocks I've seen that Ngata is up that high and is assured of going ahead of us.

Contrary to popular wisdom, first round QBs are not building blocks for the future - if that future includes winning the Super Bowl.

Only one first round draft choice has won the SB for the team that drafted him - Troy Aikman.

582348[/snapback]

That's the eternal debate between my friend and I. He swears that you have to have a franchise QB to win in the NFL. No amount of proof otherwise seems to suffice. However, I can always trump him with his statement on draft day 1995 that the Jaguars made a mistake making Tony Boselli their first draft pick. :lol:

582195[/snapback]