Free Agents

Mickey

Any early board favorites as far as UDFA's are concerned?

I say we sign LeCharles Bentley, center for the Saints and Steve Hutchinson, a guard for the Seahawks. I think they are UFDFA's this year. Move Jason "Superman" Peters to LT and give MW one last chance at RT. The new line would be:

LT Jason Peters

LG Steve Hutchinson

C LeCharles Bentley

RG Chris Villarial

RT Mike Williams

Maybe we keep Jason at RT and either live with Gandy, draft a new LT or move Trey Teague out there. Frankly, I'd pay just about anything to pick up those two guys and I don't care what they cost. The future is now.

Seattle has the cap room to sign both Hutch and Alexander. So we won't get Hutch.

Backus, I love. He should our LT next year. I would love a run at Bentley.

Perhaps...

LT - Backus

LG - 2nd Round Draft Pick

C - Bentley

RG - Villarial

RT - Peters

MW gets cut and we save the 5mil and give it to Bentley.

You can't do any better than bringing in proven talent. I don't want to spend another year wondering why our OL is so bad. If we end up struggling on offense let it be for a reason other than the line for once. Even if we still have a bad line, at least we'll know it wasn't for lack of trying to get the best. No more 3rd-5th round draft choices, no more signing mediocre cast offs, no more high draft pick busts. Lets invest in the best offensive lineman out there, guys that have proven they can get the job done. No more gambles.

Seattle has the cap room to sign both Hutch and Alexander.  So we won't get Hutch.

Backus, I love.  He should our LT next year.  I would love a run at Bentley.

Perhaps...

LT - Backus

LG - 2nd Round Draft Pick

C - Bentley

RG - Villarial

RT - Peters

MW gets cut and we save the 5mil and give it to Bentley.

581738[/snapback]

Pay him LT money or even QB money. You never know. Lets see just how bad Seattle wants to keep him.

Signing Bentley (along with drafting a decent guard) = a playoff-caliber offense

581779[/snapback]

If I read one more scouting report on a top guard in the draft that says "struggles with speed rushers", I'm going to scream. That is why I was hoping for Hutchinson but I had no idea that Seattle was so far under the cap. I wonder if NO has the money for Bentley. Isn't the league going to give them some extra cap money or something due to Katrina? I thought I read that somewhere.

I think asking for Hutchinson AND Bentley might be pushing it a little.

I for one hope that we get Bentley and then get Max-Jean Gilles either as part of a trade-down from our 8th or a trade-up from our 2nd rounder.

If not and the Brick falls to us, you have to take him. Either way, i'm looking at this:

Mike Gandy

Max-Jean Gilles

LeCharles Bentley

Chris Villarial or Mike Williams (GASP!)

Jason Peters

OR

D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Mike Gandy ('played LG at Chicago before coming to Buffalo)

LeCharles Bentley

Chris Villarial or Mike Williams

Jason Peters

Isn't the league going to give them some extra cap money or something due to Katrina?  I thought I read that somewhere.

581799[/snapback]

yeah each 'Aints player got a $40 k bonus for the circumstances they had to play under. but it was from the league not the 'aitns organization, which has no bearing on the cap.

Mike Gandy

Max-Jean Gilles

LeCharles Bentley

Chris Villarial or Mike Williams (GASP!)

Jason Peters

OR

D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Mike Gandy ('played LG at Chicago before coming to Buffalo)

LeCharles Bentley

Chris Villarial or Mike Williams

Jason Peters

581817[/snapback]

With either one of those, I think Willis McGahee ends up in the top three in rushing yards and TDs.

I think asking for Hutchinson AND Bentley might be pushing it a little.

I for one hope that we get Bentley and then get Max-Jean Gilles either as part of a trade-down from our 8th or a trade-up from our 2nd rounder.

581817[/snapback]

im a little skeptical about max, just cuz he weighs like 350 with no clothes on, another bennie anderson? i just dont want to draft another lineman with weight issues thats all

Here is the problem with both LeCharles Bentley and Hutchinson. Every other single NFL team will be gunning for them as well. I dont think we stand a chance to land either one of them.

HOWEVER...there are some very good O-Lineman available who may not be as well-known as those two, but who could step right up and solidify our O-Line. I'm talking about guys like Jeff Backus of course who, if he does make it to FA, I think we have an excellent shot at him considering the Jauron connection. Definitely can't hurt.

But with tackles like Jeff Backus, Ephraim Salaam, Jon Runyan, Kevin Shaffer, Tom Ashworth, LJ Shelton and Victor Riley...

Along with guards like Stephen Neal, Tutan Reyes, Tom Nutten, Terrence Metcalf and Kyle Kosier...

We have oodles of options. Honestly, I'd love to see Jeff Backus and Kevin Shaffer come to Buffalo in free agency...instand upgrades on the bookends of our O-Line.

But with tackles like Jeff Backus, Ephraim Salaam, Jon Runyan, Kevin Shaffer, Tom Ashworth, LJ Shelton and Victor Riley...

582047[/snapback]

I like Runyon a lot. He's the kind of durable, high character guy Marv loves, and there's talk that Philly may not be interested in having him back.