Free Agents

Mickey

They might go after Hutchinson and Bently but they don't have enough "jack" to sign both.

They will both require a Brinks truckload just in bonus money.

I like them both a lot, but if i had to make a choice i would go with Bently.

The Bills MUST get a leader to anchor the center position. And I would rather have Bently and whoever over Hutchinson and Teague.

Any early board favorites as far as UDFA's are concerned?

I don't want to nitpick...but since it's Mickey...what the heck.

UDFA means "un drafted free agents" since we won't know who they are until after the draft...lets focus on the URFA (un restricted FA's) first. :lol:

If we can get Backus we can slide Gandy over to Left Guard....which is his natural postition anyway. Mike Williams unless he takes the maximum pay cut he can should be gone. He has just been too soft of a player but I hope he proves me wrong.

I see:

Backus - LT

Gandy - LG

Preston - C

Villy - RG

Jason Peters-RT

But as important as the starting lineup is....what the Bills REALLY have to play close attention to is who will back these players up. We need to bring in at least 1 good inexpensive journeyman veteran AND draft a young stud OL within the first 3 rounds that can play MULTIPLE positions

I say we sign LeCharles Bentley, center for the Saints and Steve Hutchinson, a guard for the Seahawks.  I think they are UFDFA's this year.  Move Jason "Superman" Peters to LT and give MW one last chance at RT.  The new line would be:

LT Jason Peters

LG Steve Hutchinson

C  LeCharles Bentley

RG Chris Villarial

RT Mike Williams

Maybe we keep Jason at RT and either live with Gandy, draft a new LT or move Trey Teague out there.  Frankly, I'd pay just about anything to pick up those two guys and I don't care what they cost.  The future is now.

581712[/snapback]

I would choose Hutch over Bentley, but I would be glad if we got either one.

I say we sign LeCharles Bentley, center for the Saints and Steve Hutchinson, a guard for the Seahawks.  I think they are UFDFA's this year.  Move Jason "Superman" Peters to LT and give MW one last chance at RT.  The new line would be:

LT Jason Peters

LG Steve Hutchinson

C  LeCharles Bentley

RG Chris Villarial

RT Mike Williams

Maybe we keep Jason at RT and either live with Gandy, draft a new LT or move Trey Teague out there.  Frankly, I'd pay just about anything to pick up those two guys and I don't care what they cost.  The future is now.

581712[/snapback]

There is NO WAY Hutchinson reaches the market. The Seahawks have the most dominate line in football and their left side is incredible. They will find a way to pay him!

Cincy WR Kelley Washington and TE Matt Shoebel. They were drafted, so they are not UDFA's, but UFA's.

582121[/snapback]

Washington can't be an UFA, he's only played 3 seasons which would make him a RFA. One Bengal UFA I would like is RB Kenny Watson, who I thought we should go after last year but he was a RFA.

Seattle has the cap room to sign both Hutch and Alexander.  So we won't get Hutch.

Backus, I love.  He should our LT next year.  I would love a run at Bentley.

Perhaps...

LT - Backus

LG - 2nd Round Draft Pick

C - Bentley

RG - Villarial

RT - Peters

MW gets cut and we save the 5mil and give it to Bentley.

581738[/snapback]

I wouldn't mind Backus at all. He is a quality LT. The only thing I might suggest is that we try to do better at LG. Gandy played pretty well this year and might be good at LG. Also, I'd like to see us get DA BRICK if possible (long shot, but would be very good). But I like the idea of Bentley.......That is the 1 guy I have targeted for FA this year. That would be a MAJOR upgrade. The O-LINE is the KEY to building a successful team.

Seattle has the cap room to sign both Hutch and Alexander.  So we won't get Hutch.

Backus, I love.  He should our LT next year.  I would love a run at Bentley.

Perhaps...

LT - Backus

LG - 2nd Round Draft Pick

C - Bentley

RG - Villarial

RT - Peters

MW gets cut and we save the 5mil and give it to Bentley.

581738[/snapback]

the problem is that there are *so* many teams with bad offensive lines and lots of cap room: houston and miami come to mind. the bills are going to lose on the attractive destination factor to a lot of these guys.

If we can get Backus we can slide Gandy over to Left Guard....which is his natural postition anyway.  Mike Williams unless he takes the maximum pay cut he can should be gone.  He has just been too soft of a player but I hope he proves me wrong.

I see:

Backus - LT

Gandy - LG

Preston - C

Villy - RG

Jason Peters-RT

But as important as the starting lineup is....what the Bills REALLY have to play close attention to is who will back these players up.  We need to bring in at least 1 good inexpensive journeyman veteran AND draft a young stud OL within the first 3 rounds that can play MULTIPLE positions

582126[/snapback]

I am not really interested in trusting the center position to Preston. I want proven talent, no more gambles, no more maybes.

There is NO WAY Hutchinson reaches the market.  The Seahawks have the most dominate line in football and their left side is incredible.  They will find a way to pay him!

582579[/snapback]

It may depend on who else they have to pay, a championship has a way of increasing your payroll. I don't see them letting him get away either but you never know. Everything has a price.

Agreed.  But Seattle is $21 million under the projected salary cap for next year and should be able to keep him and SA without much trouble.

581747[/snapback]

I thought Seattle was tight up against the cap this year.

They must have some serious FA's if they have room. Last year they signed Jones and Hasselback to big time spendy deals. There was not enough money left to sign Alexander ot a big time deal.

So if this year they have big money left on the table it has ot be because they are going to have to tender a lot of offers to RFA's and other FA's

I do believe that Seattle would keep Hutchison over Alexander. Any solid RB could tear up some yards behind Seattle awesome OL.

I like Runyon a lot.  He's the kind of durable, high character guy Marv loves, and there's talk that Philly may not be interested in having him back.

582085[/snapback]

RUNYON might be the dirtiest player in the nfl.

he makes tons of dumb mistakes and no self control penalties.

bently > hutch (younger more powerful, 2 position ability).

i like the backus bently idea.

if we don't draft an LT, those 2 moves will upgrade LT, LG, C, and our right side is decent. it will give us leeway to ditch williams or keep him and move peters back to TE and REALLY have a mauling line.