Now that the trigger has been pulled

He went from being the supposed frontrunner to a guy that wasn't even invited in for a cup of Joe.

Considering the fact that Haslett is supposed to be Ralph's "All-Time Favorite Bill" and seeing as how he openly lobbied for an interview by expressing his desire for the position to the national media, it seems quite odd that he wasn't deemed worthy of even an interview.

Don't misconstrue my intent, I think he would have been a disastrous hire, but it sure seems a real slap in the face that the silver-haired Glimmer Twins wouldn't even have a sit down with him.

On an unrelated note - how embarrassing it must have been for the local media over the past few weeks to be constantly scooped by the national press as to the happenings at OBD. If I had to listen to one more TV or radio guy say, "We're desperately waiting to hear from John Clayton to find out if he knows if MM is in or out blah, blah, blah," I would have flung myself under the tires of Ralph's towncar. The Buffalo News and WGR have beat reporters dedicated solely to covering the Bills and the only thing they broke the past fortnight was wind as they waited for the latest scroll on ESPNews.

Hopefully, the Marv regime will toss a few bones to the local guys before they dial up Bristol to drop breaking news.

You know, I cannot remember exactly what happened, but somehow, I recall Marv (while working one of his many post-retirement media gigs) being critical of something Haslett did or said, as a HC in New Orleans, and Haslett retaliating by making some deragatory remark about Levy's age. I could be wrong.

I can also say, Haslett, the player in Buffalo, and Haslett the head coach in New Orleans, are sort of the anti-Levy. I think Haslett would have been a terrible hire. I give Levy credit for not wasting his time on this one. I think Levy is sincere in wanting "good guys" in Buffalo. Haslett may have matured a little since his playing days, but not much.

As a head coach, he was still too quick to fly off the handle and say stupid/irresponsible things. His teams in New Orleans were always marred by discipline problems and in-fighting. I also heard, from a Steeler fan friend of mine, that Haslett was kind of a divisive prescence in the locker room, during his days as the DC in Pittsburgh.

Living nearby, we get a fair amount of Saints coverage in central Texas. Hasletts' post game PC's were often filled with fingerpointing and whining, followed up by apologies. The guy just has a negative aura about him.

Now, I know this is guilt by association, but if you ever have had the (dis)pleasure of listening to Hasletts self-proclaimed "best friend" Fred Smerlas on WHAM, he doesn't help Haslett's cause any. Smerlas, over the last few weeks, was ranting about how Haslett should get the job, but then, in the same breath, slammed the Bills franchise for not "taking care of" its' former players. I guess he forgot about his name going up on the Bills "wall of fame"?

Some of the stuff Smerlas said about Haslett made me turst that he was expressing things Haslett had told him. Smerlas also went on some border-line racist rant about Haslett interviewing with the Lions, but he knew Haslett wouldn't get the job, because Matt Millen had already decided he was going to hire an "unqualified minority" (he said Mike Singletary, he was wrong), because he was "stung" by the PC police criticizing him last time he skipped the minority interviews, and hired Marricui. I had to believe that Haslett had said as much to Smerlas, or why else would he have said it?

I don't know how much of this nonsense Marv Levy or Ralph Wilson heard, but I have to think that Levy was at least aware of the negative feelings that Smerlas had towards him (for cutting him in 1989- Smerlas wrote of it extensively in his book). Maybe Marv felt Haslett was of the same cloth, being self-proclaimed best friends and all.

Who knows? Maybe Haslett still ends up as the Bills DC! His only remaining chance at a HC job is Oakland, where he also coached before. My guess is Haslett will not be working for the Bills any time soon.

Well, I can make a hat...or a brooch...or a pterodactyl...

What?

Anyway, I agree with buftex. Even though Marv wasn't the coach here when Haz played, he knows that Haz and Freddy are the best of friends and he may have decided he didn't need the aggravation of Freddy possibly being Haz's mouthpiece every time something went wrong. Plus there was the whole Hull thing. Although Hull may not have shown it, I'm sure he was royally pissed at Haslett. Plus, the media would have used it to stir up stojan whenever things were slow. And Marv is loyal to his guys.

I know one thing and one thing only.

If I owned a team I would never hire a man who stood up in front of America and accused other players and admitted himself of using steroids.

I would not have that person become the face of my franchise for fear that he would start to talk and write a book and bring all sorts of attention to himself and use my franchise as a podium to do this with.

I do not think that you will see another team in the NFL hire him ever again. He will get plenty of interviews but he will not be hired.

That is just my personal opinon. I'm sure that I'm wrong but that is how I feel.

You have to protect your franchise from being tainted.

If he writes a tell all book anyway there is nothing you can do about it but at least he will not do it while he was employed by me. :D

You know, I cannot remember exactly what happened, but somehow, I recall Marv (while working one of his many post-retirement media gigs) being critical of something Haslett did or said, as a HC in New Orleans, and Haslett retaliating by making some deragatory remark about Levy's age.  I could be wrong.

I can also say, Haslett, the player in Buffalo, and Haslett the head coach in New Orleans, are sort of the anti-Levy.  I think Haslett would have been a terrible hire.  I give Levy credit for not wasting his time on this one.  I think Levy is sincere in wanting "good guys" in Buffalo.  Haslett may have matured a little since his playing days, but not much.

As a head coach, he was still too quick to fly off the handle and say stupid/irresponsible things.  His teams in New Orleans were always marred by discipline problems and in-fighting.  I also heard, from a Steeler fan friend of mine, that Haslett was kind of a divisive prescence in the locker room, during his days as the DC in Pittsburgh. 

Living nearby, we get a fair amount of Saints coverage in central Texas.  Hasletts' post game PC's were often filled with fingerpointing and whining, followed up by apologies.  The guy just has a negative aura about him. 

Now, I know this is guilt by association, but if you ever have had the (dis)pleasure of listening to Hasletts self-proclaimed "best friend" Fred Smerlas on WHAM, he doesn't help Haslett's cause any.  Smerlas, over the last few weeks, was ranting about how Haslett should get the job, but then, in the same breath, slammed the Bills franchise for not "taking care of" its' former players.  I guess he forgot about his name going up on the Bills "wall of fame"?

Some of the stuff Smerlas said about Haslett made me turst that he was expressing things Haslett had told him.  Smerlas also went on some border-line racist rant about Haslett interviewing with the Lions, but he knew Haslett wouldn't get the job, because Matt Millen had already decided he was going to hire an "unqualified minority" (he said Mike Singletary, he was wrong), because he was "stung" by the PC police criticizing him last time he skipped the minority interviews, and hired Marricui.  I had to believe that Haslett had said as much to Smerlas, or why else would he have said it?

I don't know how much of this nonsense Marv Levy or Ralph Wilson heard, but I have to think that Levy was at least aware of the negative feelings that Smerlas had towards him (for cutting him in 1989- Smerlas wrote of it extensively in his book).  Maybe Marv felt Haslett was of the same cloth, being self-proclaimed best friends and all. 

Who knows?  Maybe Haslett still ends up as the Bills DC!  His only remaining chance at a HC job is Oakland, where he also coached before.  My guess is Haslett will not be working for the Bills any time soon.

581343[/snapback]

Great post, you saved me a lot of time!

I think Haslett's remark about Kent Hull probably sealed his fate. I've never seen the complete text of the interview and I'm sure it was taken out of context, but even mentioning steroids and players or former players is definitely taboo.

I always got the impression that Jim has a hard time keeping his mouth shut about subjects like that, and for a head coach, thinking about what you're going to say before you say it is skill set number one.

Now, I know this is guilt by association, but if you ever have had the (dis)pleasure of listening to Hasletts self-proclaimed "best friend" Fred Smerlas on WHAM, he doesn't help Haslett's cause any.  Smerlas, over the last few weeks, was ranting about how Haslett should get the job, but then, in the same breath, slammed the Bills franchise for not "taking care of" its' former players.  I guess he forgot about his name going up on the Bills "wall of fame"?

581343[/snapback]

Smerlas is on the local sports station here in Boston (Loserville) twice a week, and was spouting off how his good buddy "Haz" was going to get the job and bring him (smerlas) in as a defensive coach. Smerlas is an embarrassment, and I would gladly sign any petition for removing him from The Wall. He goes out of his way to denigrate the region, the team, and the fans. If he dropped stone dead in front of me I would dance a jig.

Smerlas is on the local sports station here in Boston (Loserville) twice a week, and was spouting off how his good buddy "Haz" was going to get the job and bring him (smerlas) in as a defensive coach.  Smerlas is an embarrassment, and I would gladly sign any petition for removing him from The Wall.  He goes out of his way to denigrate the region, the team, and the fans.  If he dropped stone dead in front of me I would dance a jig.

582031[/snapback]

I wouldn't p#ss in his mouth if his teeth were on fire,

I never liked Smerlas and never understood why he got such accleaim as a Buffalo Bill. Yes he anchored our line during some dismal seasons, but after his release and subsequent trashing of the team, how did he end up on the wall? I never figured that out...

I wouldn't p#ss in his mouth if his teeth were on fire,

I never liked Smerlas and never understood why he got such accleaim as a Buffalo Bill. Yes he anchored our line during some dismal seasons, but after his release and subsequent trashing of the team, how did he end up on the wall? I never figured that out...

582084[/snapback]

I can't stand Smerlas, but he was a hell of a football player. He and Haslett, in their primes, were about as good as it got, in the NFL. For Haslett, injuries took their toll (or was it steroid withdrawl?), and Smerlas just got old at the wrong time, to enjoy any of the Bills 90's success...Smerlas had the distinction of being one of the very best players, on some awful Bills teams. Still, he was always a Pro Bowl caliber a-hole!