Villarrial on Jauron

Webster Guy

Bills Training camp is roughly six months away but 10-year veteran Chris Villarrial is having a hard time containing his excitement over the team's recent hiring of Dick Jauron as the 14th head coach in franchise history.

"Just talking with a few of my teammates, we're excited and we're are looking forward to getting back to work and showing everyone that we are not a dysfunctional football team but we are winners," Villarrial said via phone from Evansburg, Pennsylvania.

In fact, Villarrial has already made plans to return to Buffalo on Thursday with the hopes of reacquainting himself with Jauron, whom he played under in Chicago.

Villarrial started 75 games at right guard during Jauron's five-year tenure as the Bears head coach (1999-2003) and describes the 55-year old Yale graduate as a low-key coach that knows when to raise his voice.

"Dick is a guy that treats men like men and he really enjoys the game and loves the game," said Villarrial. "He's also straight-forward with you and you always know where you stand with him."

In 2001, the Jauron coached Bears stood atop the NFC Central Division with a 13-3 record. That year, the Bears defense was ranked first in the league in points allowed and second in rushing. The year was highlighted by five second half come-from behind wins, and the Bears were 8-0 in games decided by seven points or less. Jauron was named the Associated Press NFL Coach of the Year.

"That was legit," said Villarrial. "That was a team playing together as a team."

The following season, however, the Bears were hampered by a number of player injuries and went 4-12 leaving many to wonder if the 2001 season was a fluke.

"If you looked to see what happened, that following year [2002] a lot of the older guys were released and that hurt us," said Villarrial. "Even in Dick's last year when things were going bad we still managed to come back and win six straight games and a lot of that was to save our coach's job."

Jauron and the Bears parted ways after the 2003 season and he later became the defensive coordinator of the Detroit Lions. He was named interim coach for the final five games of 2005 when Steve Mariucci was fired.

"A lot of things happened [in Chicago] but [the media] will see and the Buffalo fans will see that he's a true football coach and a down-to-earth guy and he's a winner," said Villarrial.

"There are a lot of people in this league that want to play for Dick Jauron and that's only going to help us with free agency and everything else," added Villarrial. "I think with a lot of things that have happened during the past two seasons it's evident that we kind of lost that family atmosphere but with these two guys coming back [Marv Levy and Jauron] we're going to get it back."

Bills Training camp is roughly six months away but 10-year veteran Chris Villarrial is having a hard time containing his excitement over the team's recent hiring of Dick Jauron as the 14th head coach in franchise history.

"Just talking with a few of my teammates, we're excited and we're are looking forward to getting back to work and showing everyone that we are not a dysfunctional football team but we are winners," Villarrial said via phone from Evansburg, Pennsylvania.

580936[/snapback]

Thank God the Meathead is gone. GO DJ!! :devil:

"A lot of things happened [in Chicago] but [the media] will see and the Buffalo fans will see that he's a true football coach and a down-to-earth guy and he's a winner," said Villarrial.

580936[/snapback]

well Chris, I guess we are all winners then, since apparently there are no losers in your world.

What a load of crap Chris is spewing.  It is far more likely that he is playing the political game with the press to save his job.  He couldn't have his nose further up DJ's cornhole.

580959[/snapback]

That's the spirit, jump right in there with your first post. You will fit in well here.

Who threw Villy off the retard rollercoaster?  Someone give him his season pass back.

580944[/snapback]

While I do agree with you 100%, I would hope that the same donor instructs him on how to play football, because CV sucked this season.

Was it the fault of MW? Could be, but he sucked.

was i wrong buffalo bill 5? isn't it interesting how quickly that article came out after the press conference? listen, i just want to win. this chris smokescreen is just a ploy to cover up dj's average numbers (i'm being nice by calling them avg).

No, local writers sought out one of the few current Bills who had actually played for Jauron. Thats all.

was i wrong buffalo bill 5?  isn't it interesting how quickly that article came out after the press conference?  listen, i just want to win.  this chris smokescreen is just a ploy to cover up dj's average numbers (i'm being nice by calling them avg).

580978[/snapback]

The reporters at the press conference were talking about contacting CV, so it wasn't a plot. Also, lets acknowledge at least the possibility CV said these things because he might believe them.

What a load of crap Chris is spewing.  It is far more likely that he is playing the political game with the press to save his job.  He couldn't have his nose further up DJ's cornhole.

580959[/snapback]

Nice name.....I'll take a hot plate, extra sauce. !@#$ I hate living in Atlanta.

thanks, seemed appropriate.

580994[/snapback]

Appropriate, yeah.....but friggin torture for those of us who haven't been back in a while. I can taste the fuggin thing just thinking about it.....the italian bread alone is enough to get my mouth watering. DAMN YOU!

Appropriate, yeah.....but friggin torture for those of us who haven't been back in a while. I can taste the fuggin thing just thinking about it.....the italian bread alone is enough to get my mouth watering. DAMN YOU!

580996[/snapback]

i moved out of the roch in 98....only fond memories of getting harrassed for money in the back parking lot and preying that my car stereo was still there.

(If you need reference, see my signature).

581011[/snapback]

Why stop at not including the guys coach of the year season? How about we just take out all the wins?

If your looking for games that don't count I suggest you not include the year they didn't play at soldier field. Not that I'm a Jauron supporter, more of a wait and see guy.