$8.8M to Franchise Clemens?

joesz

BTW the CBs who had the highest pay to figure out the average...

1. A. Winfield $12.4 million

2. T. Law $9.6M

3. S. Rolle $8.3M

4. P. Surtain $7.8M

The franchise tag was $8.816M, the transition tag was $6.93M.

Boy TD really fugged up with Winfield. <_<

576769[/snapback]

Winfield's number is grossly exaggerated because the Vikings paid his entire 12.8 mil bonus as salary so it wouldnt count against their cap in years 2,3,4... That is what made the CB last year higher than this year, along with Law's and Woodson's exaggerated numbers.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's pretty laughable (I didn't check with ktfabd) that people want to run clements out of town for one bad season, considering how crappy the rest of our team was, and mention replacing him with guys like jabari greer, eric king and kevin thomas. That's just absolutly brilliant to replace a #1 corner with a bunch of nickle backs and #4 corners. I'm sure that'll work out pretty well.

Now say we can trade nate clements for the rights to draft mario williams, or acquire a top flight de in free agency like John Abraham. then and only then will it be plausible to let clements go. Otherwise I'd like to keep our 2 good corners on the roster. Terrence Mcgee is a good option as long as someone good is opposite him.

I think it's pretty laughable (I didn't check with ktfabd) that people want to run clements out of town for one bad season,  considering how crappy the rest of our team was, and mention replacing him with guys like jabari greer, eric king and kevin thomas.  That's just absolutly brilliant to replace a #1 corner with a bunch of nickle backs and #4 corners. I'm sure that'll work out pretty well.

Now say we can trade nate clements for the rights to draft mario williams, or acquire a top flight de in free agency like John Abraham. then and only then will it be plausible to let clements go.  Otherwise I'd like to keep our 2 good corners on the roster.  Terrence Mcgee is a good option as long as someone good is opposite him.

576795[/snapback]

I concur.

Sure Clements was burned a few times this year, but all CBs are. There is no such thing as a shut down corner, not in the literal sense anyway.

I have seen Bailey, Barber and others burned multiple times. People are fooling themselves if they think Nate is easily replaced!

If that's the number, that's great. At that number, the Bills could easily afford to keep him for the year, in a worst-case scenario. And if they were looking to trade him, teams would know the Bills don't HAVE to trade him and that would increase his value.

BTW, I checked that askthecommish.com link, and it gave today's date.

I think it's pretty laughable (I didn't check with ktfabd) that people want to run clements out of town for one bad season,  considering how crappy the rest of our team was, and mention replacing him with guys like jabari greer, eric king and kevin thomas.  That's just absolutly brilliant to replace a #1 corner with a bunch of nickle backs and #4 corners. I'm sure that'll work out pretty well.

Now say we can trade nate clements for the rights to draft mario williams, or acquire a top flight de in free agency like John Abraham. then and only then will it be plausible to let clements go.  Otherwise I'd like to keep our 2 good corners on the roster.  Terrence Mcgee is a good option as long as someone good is opposite him.

576795[/snapback]

I agree with the first part. The rationalization we used when Pat Williams was leaving is similar to waht is being posted in this thread. I believe we should keep him mainly because of the key question - who will replace him ? And I cannot accept drafting a corner will be adequate 'cos we don't know what we are getting and that player will be a rookie makin rookie mistakes.

As for the second, I refer to the logic above. Even if we draft better linemen, we will need to keep our secondary of the same quality. NC will perform better with better front end push from the DL.

To update this - the latest number I've heard is $5,893,000.

At that price, letting Clements walk would be pure idiocy.

586344[/snapback]

Right as per usual Lori! Letting Clements go even at 8 million is pure idiocy IMO. Top flight CBs are harder to replace then QBs. CB is the hardest position to field IMO. Having a CB with the abilty to go one on one with every WR in the league and still play the run make a defense and pass rush that much stronger!

Great job backing up that opinion. :ph34r:

You're basing this on what? Inquiring minds want to know.

586359[/snapback]

He doesn't have an opinion. he reads some message boards filled with a bunch of drones opinions, and says "hey I'll have that opinion too, someone else said so, so it must be true" Nevermind that guys like Champ Bailey, and pat surtain were on worse pass defenses, but these two are named frequently as players better then clements.

It's all about pass rush in the nfl, forcing the qb to get rid of the ball early, however when you dont have the luxury of that, you have to have corners who can hold their ground from time to time, and stay with their wr. Clements is the total package at cb. and one mediocre year won't convince me otherwise. You'll find no one better in free agency or the draft. Keeping Clements at the price of this years franchise tag is well worth it.

If you check out the link, you will see the posting date of January 21, 2006.

576721[/snapback]

Also if you check out the link it specifically says below the list that it is a listing of what it would cost today 1/21/06 in this case and not what the tag will be after 3/1/06 when the new cap applies and not only do the Bills and all teams have mor money to work with, but items like the Vikes 1 year extraordinary cap payout to Winfield in 2005 come off the franchise tag #.

Based specifically on the link you posted it is certain that the franchise # will change and several outlets such as Mort and the update given above state the new # (which no one knows for sure until the NFL releases it because no besides the NFL and the folks who signed the contract no what it says specificaly in terms of deadlines for allocations of payments.

Even if the #s on the Commish site are taken as a prediction of the 06 cap (which it specifically says it is not) this is merely one site which contradicts multiple other sources.

To update this - the latest number I've heard is $5,893,000.

At that price, letting Clements walk would be pure idiocy.

586344[/snapback]

he should be tagged.

Bils can afford to pay the $5.8 if he takes the tender.

But they are also free to shop him for a 1st rounder.

Look for Jimmy Williams to be the Bills pick if Ngata and Brick are gone as expected.

I'm not a big Clements fan at all. However, if I know Marv Levy, he values good corners over just about any other position so I doubt he will let Nate get away.

I think Nate gets beat waaaay too often for a supposed top flight corner. The Patriots, who have a pretty good coach who seems to judge defensive backs accurately, love to throw to his side. The especially like throwing naked WR screens where if Nate misses the tackle, its a big gainer. Often enough, he does.

Why tag him? Just sign him. He lost millions in value last year by playing CB like Chris Watson, Punt Catcher.

Sign him to a 4 year 17 million or something like that.

Or, threaten to franchise him and work out a trade, like they did with Peerless. They can probably wrangle a 2nd for him. Or a 3rd, if the trading partner has videos of last season. Or a 7th if they have the Miami game.

I'm not a big Clements fan at all.  However, if I know Marv Levy, he values good corners over just about any other position so I doubt he will let Nate get away.

586488[/snapback]

Aha! So now it all becomes clear. Your handle is named after Mickey Washington because Marv treasures corners above all else. :ph34r:

After the "great" year Clements had, it might make sense to roll the dice and see what he is worth on the market.  Who knows?  But, there is a very real possibilty that Nate's big money contract isn't out there -- not after he got completely schooled by "stud" receivers like Eric Parker week after week.

576749[/snapback]

i think it will be a much different story when he is playing for a defensive coach who is not lining him up 10 yards off the line on every play