"Jauron is close to Levy"

Rubes

So the media is reporting that Jauron is a strong candidate for the job, at least in part, because he and Levy are "close".

This seems to be supported by the fact that Levy (a) lived in Chicago while Jauron was there, and (b) Levy did some broadcasting for Bears games while Jauron was the head coach.

That's it?

That's what this "closeness" is based on? Nothing else? That couldn't possibly be why they are "close". You must be joking.

So the media is reporting that Jauron is a strong candidate for the job, at least in part, because he and Levy are "close".

This seems to be supported by the fact that Levy (a) lived in Chicago while Jauron was there, and (b) Levy did some broadcasting for Bears games while Jauron was the head coach.

That's it?

That's what this "closeness" is based on? Nothing else? That couldn't possibly be why they are "close". You must be joking.

571324[/snapback]

c. Jauron got his coaching career started in 1985 as a DB's coach for the Bills.

d. Both are Ivy Leaguers - Levy an MA in English from Harvard, Jauron a BA in history from Yale.

That's all I could think of :huh:.

Levy has always spoken highly of DJ, right back to when GW was hired here he stated he thought DJ was one of the best candidates at the time.

571369[/snapback]

Does that mean he interviews well?

c. Jauron got his coaching career started in 1985 as a DB's coach for the Bills.

d. Both are Ivy Leaguers - Levy an MA in English from Harvard, Jauron a BA in history from Yale.

That's all I could think of  :huh:.

571363[/snapback]

Marv got his MA in British history from Harvard. :lol:

Jauron is not at the level of Sherman. His coordinators in Chicago were John Shoop, Gary Crowton and Greg Blatche all of whom like Jauron had little success in their careers other than the 13-3 season. He will come cheap though which works for RW. I say Sherman.

Guest BackInDaDay

OK. We've got Marv 'lusting' in one post and Marv being 'close' to a Frenchman in another. What the hell is going on around here!?!

Of all the guys mentioned, I could be sold on Sherman, but I would prefer Jauron. The Bears, particularly when Jauron was there, had one of the more disfunctional management situations in the NFL. The "new" old Bills management might not be much better, but at least Jauron will have some experience in working in it.

Of all the guys mentioned, I could be sold on Sherman, but I would prefer Jauron.  The Bears, particularly when Jauron was there, had one of the more disfunctional management situations in the NFL.  The "new" old Bills management might not be much better, but at least Jauron will have some experience in working in it.

571843[/snapback]

Jauron is just the type of milquetoast hiring that will kill any glimmer of hope that fans cling to and erode the season ticket base. What a cluster !@#$ this organization has become. :huh:

Jauron is just the type of milquetoast hiring that will kill any glimmer of hope that fans cling to and erode the season ticket base. What a cluster !@#$ this organization has become.  :huh:

571846[/snapback]

I can't disagree with you at all. Jauron certainly isn't the type of pick that is going to get Bills fans excited, but that doesn't mean he is not a good football coach. I think the fact that Jauron and Sherman seem to be the only candidates, at this point, indicates to me that, yes, Ralph is really out of touch with what the fans want. That may not be a bad thing, in this instance.

I agree, this organization does appear to be a big mess. This is the first time in years, no matter how misguided I was in the past, that I have felt this franchise was such a mess. As a Bills fan, I am pinning any optimism I have on Marv Levy. That is all the franchise is giving us right now.

0:)

Jauron started his coaching career in Buffalo as a DB coach back in the 1980's... I am not sure if that was under Levy.

Can anyone confirm the years he was here in Buffalo? That may lead to a Levy connection? The Bills did give him his first NFL coaching gig.

Like others hace said... there is the Harvard-Yale, Ivy league thingy too.

Jauron started his coaching career in Buffalo as a DB coach back in the 1980's... I am not sure if that was under Levy.

Can anyone confirm the years he was here in Buffalo?  That may lead to a Levy connection?  The Bills did give him his first NFL coaching gig.

Like others hace said... there is the Harvard-Yale, Ivy league thingy too.

572016[/snapback]

Jauron only coached in Buffalo for 1 year (1985). Levy joined the Bills in the middle of the 1986 season, so they never met at least as Bills coaches during this time.

Here is Jauron's complete career in the NFL:

1973-77 - Lions, player, FS

1978-80 - Bengals, player, FS

1985 - Bills, coach, DB's

1986-94 - Packers, coach, DB's

1995-98 - Jaguars, coach, DC

1999-03 - Bears, coach, HC

2004-05 - Lions, coach, DC

2005 - Lions, coach, interim HC

Overall HC record: 36-50 (incl. 0-1 in playoffs)

Up through the 2001 season when the Bears went 13-3 and Jauron won Coach of the Year honors, his coaching record was solid and his future looked bright. But then something happened in 2002 (4-12 record) and in 2003 (7-9 record) which led to Jauron's firing. I'm not sure exactly what went wrong with his team, but it's very possible that Marv Levy saw (and is currently seeing) a similarity between Jauron's downfall in Chicago as he did his own downfall during his own 5 seasons as a first-time HC (with the Chiefs from 1978-82). Marv, a Chicago native, was probably watching the Bears' situation closely as an NFL media analyst following his HC retirement.

So in summary, the big questions I propose to all of you are:

A. What went wrong in Chicago during the 2002 and 2003 seasons?

B. What went wrong with Levy's Chiefs in the early 80's?

C. Are there any similarities between A and B?

If the answer to C is "yes," then Jauron may very well be the leading candidate.