Is Chris Villarial shot?

For my money, Villarial was pretty decent in 2004 and consistently mediocre to terrible in 2005. Surely his foot injury and some other nagging injuries affected his play. But he may just be shot.

A lot of those guys break down once their leg injuries start to mount up and they're approaching mid 30s. Others can still play a few more years very effectively even when their bodies are held together with duct tape. I'm just not sure which category CV fits into.

I do know, however, that we need a lot of help on the line, and getting three new good players is a lot easier than getting four (or two vs. three). And I also know that a team is in trouble if Chris Villarial is their best offensive linemen, but a team could be very good if Chris Villarial is your worst offensive lineman, so he still could be a valuable player for us. So the question is, is he shot, or can he still be a solid but unspectacular link in our (hopefully) totally revamped OL?

Serious tards only shall reply. :)

For my money, Villarial was pretty decent in 2004 and consistently mediocre to terrible in 2005. Surely his foot injury and some other nagging injuries affected his play. But he may just be shot.

A lot of those guys break down once their leg injuries start to mount up and they're approaching mid 30s. Others can still play a few more years very effectively even when their bodies are held together with duct tape. I'm just not sure which category CV fits into.

I do know, however, that we need a lot of help on the line, and getting three new good players is a lot easier than getting four (or two vs. three). And I also know that a team is in trouble if Chris Villarial is their best offensive linemen, but a team could be very good if Chris Villarial is your worst offensive lineman, so he still could be a valuable player for us. So the question is, is he shot, or can he still be a solid but unspectacular link in our (hopefully) totally revamped OL?

Serious tards only shall reply.  :(

561321[/snapback]

In 04 he was so good that when he was out, the play of MW was clearly worse.

This year, his "good games" were few and far between. Can he return to the 04 level? Sure, but the odds are probably against him doing so. As I recall, he has a bad elbow too, and he is no spring chicken.

His cap figure is high for a right guard, and again, he isn't getting any younger. At the level he played at in 05, upgrading upon him shouldn't be so hard, but we ARE talking about the Bills. :)

Conspiracy Theory....Modrak and Donahoe both IUP graduates. Chris V. IUP graduate. Modrak and Donahoe keep their alum commitment by overpaying Chris V so he can donate to the school... ;-)

Chris V is a warrior but he broke down--elbow, leg, influenza--its tougher and tougher to recover--but I think you have to give him a shot to comeback next year as the starter who could lose his job in camp and you bring in some competition..both veteran interior line and high interior OL draft pick...we need depth

His leg injuries were constant. I remember too many plays during home games where I focused on the middle of our line and Chris V. was getting planted. I remember one play where the DT just spun him around and just ran over his back, as CV fell face down. :w00t: Teague and Bennie became jealous and tried to do worse.

We must be active during March Free Agency.

Serious tards only shall reply.  :w00t:

561321[/snapback]

good post, dog, and i think you may be on to something. everyone breaks down at some point. it happens to the best of 'em.

Serious tards only shall reply.  :w00t:

561321[/snapback]

Throw me into the "he can still be a solid but unspectacular link in our (hopefully) totally revamped OL" camp. Although I wouldn't lose any sleep if he were to be released, I believe he'd be serviceable as the team's 4th or 5th best lineman. Plus, he's a character guy which Marv loves.

Conspiracy Theory....Modrak and Donahoe both IUP graduates.  Chris V. IUP graduate.  Modrak and Donahoe keep their alum commitment by overpaying Chris V so he can donate to the school... ;-)

Chris V is a warrior but he broke down--elbow, leg, influenza--its tougher and tougher to recover--but I think you have to give him a shot to comeback next year as the starter who could lose his job in camp and you bring in some competition..both veteran interior line and high interior OL draft pick...we need depth

561376[/snapback]

LOL! Thanks, Joe, I needed that! Laugh-out-louds are not so commonplace anymore.

Ah, the alumni connection! I have often felt that my former university should have given Bin Laden an honorary degree. Because wherever you roam, your alumni association will find you!!!

Living in a cave? No problem. We have this annual fund, y'see, and .....