Move Peters Back to TE

Am I the only one left that would like to see Peters at TE. The success that Levy had with Thurman can be tied to Pete Metzalaars...can you imagine a 350lb TE clobbering people to spring McGahee or, even catching the ball with his 4.5 speed?

I think we waste him within the OL

Am I the only one left that would like to see Peters at TE. The success that Levy had with Thurman can be tied to Pete Metzalaars...can you imagine a 350lb TE clobbering people to spring McGahee or, even catching the ball with his 4.5 speed?

561126[/snapback]

Why not continue to use him at a position that he's been succeeding at? I don't think it necessary to switch him back to TE. RT looks like a good position for the Bills as long as Jason Peters remains there.

561126[/snapback]

I'd like to see him at TE and on Special Teams. But, right now, I'd say we NEED him on the OL until we get someone better.

I agree to the extent that you're saying Peters would be a significant upgrade at TE. But, it's harder to replace a RT than a TE. Would you rather go shopping for another RT?

I do think they ought to have Peters learn a running play and a pass play from the TE position. It would be interesting to see the Bills slide Peters over on occasion and have Big Mike Williams lined up between him and the RG (run right, Willis! run right!).

561126[/snapback]

Actually, I think Thurman made Metzelaars more successful- Thurman is the best football player we've ever had

561126[/snapback]

As poster Alaska Darin observed some time ago, his bulk won't let him have the wind to run more than a few pass patterns. He is a unique player, but better he plays the game close in.

I'm not cutting down the the young man - he certainly has moxie.

561126[/snapback]

Other than QB, there is no position that is more difficult to fill than LT.

Peters will eventually be the LT because he has the quickness and agility and size to handle elite speed rushers.

A premier LT who can handle a premier pass rusher 1 on 1 allows the offense so many options, including not requiring the TE to stay in to help block.

Peters will have much more value as a stud OT than a TE who never sees the ball in a Mullarkey run offfense.

Glad you're not on staff, dude. When you're lucky enough to find a guy who can play better than your other career linemen after only a few weeks at the position, you let him grow in that position.

tis the season of armchair coaches i guess

Peters is very fast for how big he is, and for an OL, but he is not all that fast for a TE. In fact, Everett is likely much faster than Peters. He's also never proven to be much of a TE, never ran great routes, never showed the skills to be a good receiver except that he has soft hands for a huge guy. I think he ran a 4.8 40, and not a 4.5. He should stay at tackle, and ill likely be our starter at LT unless we draft the Brick or sign another huge LT.

As poster Alaska Darin observed some time ago, his bulk won't let him have the wind to run more than a few pass patterns. He is a unique player, but better he plays the game close in.

I'm not cutting down the the young man - he certainly has moxie.

561174[/snapback]

Not just wind, his joints will give way because he's going to have to make seriously sharp cuts at speed - something he doesn't have to do nearly as often as a tackle.

I think if he were going to be special at TE our coach, a 9 year NFL veteran at TE, would already be using him there in situations outside short yardage. He doesn't because Peters can't regularly get separation down the field, nor is he built to run 25+ pass patterns a game.

Peters is very fast for how big he is, and for an OL, but he is not all that fast for a TE. In fact, Everett is likely much faster than Peters. He's also never proven to be muchg of a TE, never ran great routes, never showed the skills to be a good receiver except that he has soft hands for a huge guy. I think he ran a 4.8 40, and not a 4.5. He should stay at tackle, and ill likely be our starter at LT unless we draft the Brick or sign another huge LT.

561247[/snapback]

I wouldn't rush him to LT- or Ferguson if we draft him. Give either a year or so at LG, before putting them at such a crucial position- look at how Leonard Davis grew into the position

I wouldn't rush him to LT- or Ferguson if we draft him. Give either a year or so at LG, before putting them at such a crucial position- look at how Leonard Davis grew into the position

561249[/snapback]

Peters has already had basically a year's apprenticeship at LT. He practiced at bit at LT last year on the practice squad and after he was activated (Although he was playing TE, too). He spent all of the off season workouts at LT. He spent the mini-camps and the entire training camp and pre-season at LT. He started this season as the back-up LT and played LT until he started his first game at RT halfway through the season. In fact, RT is probably still more foreign to him, or it's close. He would have no problem moving to LT, and unless we get a stud to play there, that is probably where he is going to play.

Not just wind, his joints will give way because he's going to have to make seriously sharp cuts at speed - something he doesn't have to do nearly as often as a tackle.

I think if he were going to be special at TE our coach, a 9 year NFL veteran at TE, would already be using him there in situations outside short yardage.  He doesn't because Peters can't regularly get separation down the field, nor is he built to run 25+ pass patterns a game.

561248[/snapback]

Yes - I do recall you mentioning the joints - more important than wind. If somehow he ends up playing as a good LT, it will be quite a story. I also recall him being quite pi**ed at not being drafted. Getting snubbed can be a great motivation. To the extent that that happens, I would like to see Haggan also get a shot beyond special teams.

561126[/snapback]

Metz WAS great; perhaps the most under-rated Bill of all time.

That said, Peters belongs at the OT position and nowhere else. The kid has a chance to be a left tackle in the National Football League, at a low cost to boot.

TD drafted a TE last season. Perhaps we should see what he is capable of before moving our best OL prospect to TE, no? :)

Jason Peters does not have 4.5 speed. He might get close to 4.80, but that's about it. He's only fast for someone of his size.

After watching him play at Arkansas and now for the Bills, I feel pretty confident that the Bills are playing him in the correct position. At TE, I don't think he'd be anything more than 2nd TE brought in primarily for his blocking abilities. He'll never be anything but an average recieving threat at the position.

By contrast, he's proving that he can be a quality starting OT and he's got the ability to be as good as he wants to be at the position.