Vince Young to Buffalo

major

i always find it ridiculous when i hear or read people telling a QB will not succeed in the NFL because he has poor mechanics. This is not figure skating, this is football guys, as long as the ball finishes in the hands of a receiver the pass is complete!

560960[/snapback]

In an ideal world, you would be correct. But here's the problem...

It's not that poor mechanics won't translate into completions, its that the coaches in the NFL will take some one with poor mechanics and try to "fix" it. Afterall, they are the coach...and most of the time, screwing with someone's mechanics (even in an attempt to make them better) ruins a guy.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In an ideal world, you would be correct. But here's the problem...

It's not that poor mechanics won't translate into completions, its that the coaches in the NFL will take some one with poor mechanics and try to "fix" it. Afterall, they are the coach...and most of the time, screwing with someone's mechanics (even in an attempt to make them better) ruins a guy.

560969[/snapback]

After the championship game the Texas HC said that Young became much better after they stopped trying to restrict him and let him do his thing. NFL coaches do not ever do that, too bad for Vince. He has a decent chance of making it in the NFL IMO.

As for the Bills moving up to pick him.....only when pigs fly and hell freezes over. The only thing that would be worse than Buffalo picking a QB in the 1st 6 rounds would be if we picked a punter in the 1st.

Trade our 8th pick in the 1st round and our 3rd round pick (from Tennessee), along with JP Losman, to the Saints for the number 2 pick in the NFL draft.

With that pick, select QB Vince Young. I seem to remember Mularkey doing some pretty good things with Kordell Stewart in Pittsburgh. Even in his prime, Kordell wasn't half the player of Vince Young.

The rest of the draft we can use to shore up our O-line and D-line.

On a side note, I was happy to see that we brought Tory Woodbury back. I hope he gets a chance to compete for the starting job at training camp.

560672[/snapback]

Why?

i always find it ridiculous when i hear or read people telling a QB will not succeed in the NFL because he has poor mechanics. This is not figure skating, this is football guys, as long as the ball finishes in the hands of a receiver the pass is complete!

I think that a lot of so called "QB busts" have their roots in the conservative style of 90% of the NFL head coach. From Flutie to Kordell, from Brooks to Leftwich it's a shame so many talented QBS have never been able to really showcase their talent in the NFL because tehy were not classic pocket QBs. I'm afraid the same is waiting for A Smith, V Young or Vick junior, that's why college football is most of the time a lot better show than the NFL, free Qbs , creativity, instinctive play is what make football fun.

560960[/snapback]

Yeah, it's the lack of opportunity that has doomed guys like Kordella, Brooks and Ware. :):(

What time is the Falcons' playoff game this weekend? Oh....wait.....

Vince Young is not an NFL QB. His mechanics would have him killed in the NFL.

Most scouts have him as a WR or RB...

560716[/snapback]

I'm not in favor of the day dreamer trade to try to pick up Young nor do I think he'll be that successful in the NFL...however, where on earth do you get that "most scouts have him as a WR or RB?" The guy is going to be a top 5-10 pick at QB and no team taking him is even going to consider moving him to one of the above spots.

Cause then we won't need to worry about the OL, knowing that Vince can just scramble for 20 yards or so on every play.  Sheeh....didn't you watch the Rose Bowl???

561099[/snapback]

We probably wouldn't need to field a defense either. Brilliant! :)

If there is one single thing I think the Bills should NOT do in the upcoming Draft, it's Trade Up...Too many Need areas, Trading Up means giving up Picks...A luxury the Bills cannot afford at this point in time (IMHO)...

I think it should be noted that the Bills had a strong philosophy during the Butler/Levy Years of staying where they are at, setting up their Board based on where they are at, and not Trading much, if at all...The obvious exception was the RJ Trade...and we all know how that worked out...And also we all know that was Post Marv...I expect Marv will explore options, but I also expect him to stick close to what worked for the Franchise before...I think the odds are in favor of the Bills staying put, especially in the 1st Round, and going with the Board as it was set up...

Who knows, maybe Marv will bring some new tricks along with him...Personally I would prefer a Trade down just a bit to accumulate more Picks...But I guess we'll see here in 4 1/2 Months... :)

If there is one single thing I think the Bills should NOT do in the upcoming Draft, it's Trade Up...Too many Need areas, Trading Up means giving up Picks...A luxury the Bills cannot afford at this point in time (IMHO)...

I think it should be noted that the Bills had a strong philosophy during the Butler/Levy Years of staying where they are at, setting up their Board based on where they are at, and not Trading much, if at all...The obvious exception was the RJ Trade...and we all know how that worked out...And also we all know that was Post Marv...I expect Marv will explore options, but I also expect him to stick close to what worked for the Franchise before...I think the odds are in favor of the Bills staying put, especially in the 1st Round, and going with the Board as it was set up...

Who knows, maybe Marv will bring some new tricks along with him...Personally I would prefer a Trade down just a bit to accumulate more Picks...But I guess we'll see here in 4 1/2 Months... :)

561116[/snapback]

Agreed, this draft is pretty deep, there's no need to trade up and waste picks doing so. Either stay at 8 or drop down some spots if there are multiple guys you still want on the board at 8 and you think they'll be there a few spots down.

Trade our 8th pick in the 1st round and our 3rd round pick (from Tennessee), along with JP Losman, to the Saints for the number 2 pick in the NFL draft.

With that pick, select QB Vince Young. I seem to remember Mularkey doing some pretty good things with Kordell Stewart in Pittsburgh. Even in his prime, Kordell wasn't half the player of Vince Young.

On a side note, I was happy to see that we brought Tory Woodbury back. I hope he gets a chance to compete for the starting job at training camp.

560672[/snapback]

a big reason the Bills imploded last year is the incredible waste of draft picks spent on trying to find a QB, instead of building an OL.

With your scenario, the draft picks spent in the last few years for our current QBnow total:

2006 #1 Vince Young

2006 #3 move up for Young

2005 #1 move up for Losman

2004 #2 Losman

2004 #5 move up for Losman

2004 #1 Bledsoe

This doesn't even include the #1 and #4 for the failed Rob Johnson experiment and the#3 for Billy Joe Hobert

Build an OL and the QB will come

After the championship game the Texas HC said that Young became much better after they stopped trying to restrict him and let him do his thing. NFL coaches do not ever do that, too bad for Vince. He has a decent chance of making it in the NFL IMO.

As for the Bills moving up to pick him.....only when pigs fly and hell freezes over. The only thing that would be worse than Buffalo picking a QB in the 1st 6 rounds would be if we picked a punter in the 1st.

561088[/snapback]

The problem is investing $50 million in a guy and then let him run around like a maniac.

It may work in college, but he will eventually get maimed in the NFL.

That's a big chunk of your salary cap that will soon be sitting in the trainers room.

Yeah, let's draft ANOTHER quarterback and ignore the lines yet again.

Even better, let's trade up to draft a guy who has bust written all over him.  You know, because he played great in a college National Championship game against a team who has zero pass rush.

560704[/snapback]

darin, while i think the idea of trading up to draft young is laughable, i do think that in time he'll be a very strong qb. his arm is strong enough despite the weird throwing motion, he's fairly accurate (more than most college qbs, as far as i can tell), and he's an unbelievable athlete who can make plays out of nothing. but most importantly, he seems reasonably intelligent and is a flat out leader. being a leader as a qb is an incredibly important feature, and he did it through action, not words.

by the way, sc got to him all night. they just couldn't tackle them. and you're talking about a defense for which about 5 guys will eventually be playing on sundays. and lest you forget, he did the same thing against a good michigan defense last year too.

bottom line -- sometime in the 3 to 5 years, i really think he's going to be a star. not for the bills, however ...

In fact, to win a SB in this league you need a boring and consistant QB that does not make mistakes.

561164[/snapback]

Yes. We don't need a QB to "create" plays or "make something out of nothing". There should be plenty of offense as a result of good blocking, good running, good receivers and a QB who just needs to throw the ball on the money. No "creativity" required.

darin, while i think the idea of trading up to draft young is laughable, i do think that in time he'll be a very strong qb.  his arm is strong enough despite the weird throwing motion, he's fairly accurate (more than most college qbs, as far as i can tell), and he's an unbelievable athlete who can make plays out of nothing.  but most importantly, he seems reasonably intelligent and is a flat out leader. being a leader as a qb is an incredibly important feature, and he did it through action, not words. 

by the way, sc got to him all night. they just couldn't tackle them. and you're talking about a defense for which about 5 guys will eventually be playing on sundays. and lest you forget, he did the same thing against a good michigan defense last year too.

bottom line -- sometime in the 3 to 5 years, i really think he's going to be a star.  not for the bills, however ...

561177[/snapback]

I'll disagree whole heartedly. Doesn't mean I'm correct but I won't be at all surprised if he gets hammered early in his career and never plays to his athletic potential.

College FB ain't the pros, regardless of how many guys progress from that level to play on Sunday. We see it every year. Young is a terrific athlete who is going to get pummeled on Sundays (because ALL quarterbacks do). I don't think he has the frame to handle it.

I'll disagree whole heartedly.  Doesn't mean I'm correct but I won't be at all surprised if he gets hammered early in his career and never plays to his athletic potential.

College FB ain't the pros, regardless of how many guys progress from that level to play on Sunday.  We see it every year.  Young is a terrific athlete who is going to get pummeled on Sundays (because ALL quarterbacks do).  I don't think he has the frame to handle it.

561254[/snapback]

we'll just have to wait and see!

560672[/snapback]

NO WAY!!!! We don't need to get another QB that thinks he is a one man show and besides Young won't get away with that cr&p in the NFL, get a QB like ML from USC he will make a Pro, because he drops back and passes