We are absolutely LUCKY to have Marv -

IndyMark

Listening to Marv is encourging at worst and simply motivating at best.

At 80 he is sharp, astute, and considerably more funny than most posters on this board.

Marv has forgotten more football knowledge than his detractors currently possess.

This could be move of the year.

Well done Ralph.

Could also be a disaster, to be fair. But Marv is not just a generally smart man, hes is a brilliant man. Therefore, Im going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

For full disclosure as to my feelings on this issue, Marv talking about WINNING the Super Bowl has me absolutely giddy like a kid. IMO, having Marv and Mr. Wilson hoist the VL trophy soon would correct a lot of bad karma on this mudball we swing around on.

Could also be a disaster, to be fair. But Marv is not just a generally smart man, hes is a brilliant man. Therefore, Im going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

For full disclosure as to my feelings on this issue, Marv talking about WINNING the Super Bowl has me absolutely giddy like a kid. IMO, having Marv and Mr. Wilson hoist the VL trophy soon would correct a lot of bad karma on this mudball we swing around on.

555691[/snapback]

Could be a disaster? Name one move RW does this season that could not be a disaster?

Heck, firing MM could have been a disaster. Bringing in Haslett could have been a disaster. Hiring Mike Sherman could have been disasterous.

Sure I agree, but you point out the 'safe' and obvious 'counter argument' that really applies to ANY move RW made.

While I think Marv is one of the greatest guys on the planet and I have the utmost respect for the man, I will reserve judgement on Marv the GM until after they get the OC and DC, and get through the draft. I hope for the best, of course. Time will tell.

Could be a disaster?  Name one move RW does this season that could not be a disaster?

Heck, firing MM could have been a disaster.  Bringing in Haslett could have been a disaster.  Hiring Mike Sherman could have been disasterous.

Sure I agree, but you point out the 'safe' and obvious 'counter argument' that really applies to ANY move RW made.

555699[/snapback]

I know its "safe and obvious". That was the point!

Each of those moves you outlined as possibility entail bringing in someone with experinece in the job they would be taking. Marve has no experience here.

I'm a huge Marv fan......but I feel really uneasy about this move. As long as Modrak will have significant input and we bring in some strong coordinators, I think we'll be okay.....I just don't know about Marv as GM.

"Hurray for Marv,

Hurray at last...

Hurray for Marv,

He's a horse's ____ !"

:P

Great press conference, Marv! I hope you get that elusive Super Bowl ring very, very soon!

Marv will straighten things out at OBD. I'm sure he's already got an idea who the new OC and DC will be. He's familiar with the organization and the fans, so thats a big plus.

One things for sure, I doubt there will be any more protest signs taken away from fans in the Stadium...

We are most definitely lucky to have him. I'm not sure how Ralph managed to outbid every other team in the league that was clamoring for Marv's services. Bottom line though is Ralph did it, good job!

While I think Marv is one of the greatest guys on the planet and I have the utmost respect for the man, I will reserve judgement on Marv the GM until after they get the OC and DC, and get through the draft.  I hope for the best, of course.  Time will tell.

555704[/snapback]

And that's it, basically, in a nutshell. The reality is, this is nothing more than a PR move to appease the fans. And it obviously worked. To paraphrase Steve Martin's character in "Roxanne": A few frilly words and you guys are counting ceiling tiles.

I'm a huge Marv fan......but I feel really uneasy about this move. As long as Modrak will have significant input and we bring in some strong coordinators, I think we'll be okay.....I just don't know about Marv as GM.

555732[/snapback]

After seeing these press conferences the past 2 days, I'm not feeling it either. I hope I'll feel better once/if we sign some good FA's & make some nice draft picks, but right now, I already miss TD. Still think Ralph got rid of the wrong guy.

Listening to Marv is encourging at worst and simply motivating at best.

At 80 he is sharp, astute, and considerably more funny than most posters on this board.

Marv has forgotten more football knowledge than his detractors currently possess.

This could be move of the year.

Well done Ralph.

555687[/snapback]

I hope you include yourself in the "most posters" category! I will never dispute his intelligence and only wish I could be an 1/8th as sharp as him, but the league has changed significantly since he left and he couldn't win the big one when he was given a Ferrari, now he is operating with nothing short of a Ford Pinto.

Honestly, I hope you are correct in that he can make a positive contribution, but I think the organization could have done a lot better than these recent collective moves they made this week.

I hope you include yourself in the "most posters" category! I will never dispute his intelligence and only wish I could be an 1/8th as sharp as him, but the league has changed significantly since he left and he couldn't win the big one when he was given a Ferrari, now he is operating with nothing short of a Ford Pinto.

Honestly, I hope you are correct in that he can make a positive contribution, but I think the organization could have done a lot better than these recent collective moves they made this week.

555970[/snapback]

he got into the hall of fame his first time around. He might not have won the super bowl, but he did something right. As for the game passing him by?? Time will tell, but i trust that he'll take the advice of modrak, et al when it comes to personnel decisions. He's a harvard grad who's been doing media work with the NFL... he's not out of touch. Or at least not as out of touch as ralph wilson.

After seeing these press conferences the past 2 days, I'm not feeling it either. I hope I'll feel better once/if we sign some good FA's & make some nice draft picks, but right now, I already miss TD. Still think Ralph got rid of the wrong guy.

555965[/snapback]

I agree.....as frustrated as people were with TD, like it or not the guy brought us credibility. TD was a badass and he knew how to get things done. I just wish a few more his moves had panned out. I really think TD would have gotten it done. Oh well.....here's to hoping Marv is a better GM than I think he'll be.

i think the organization could have done a lot better than these recent collective moves they made this week.

555970[/snapback]

and your suggestion of better moves is? (a) (b) ©

I agree.....as frustrated as people were with TD, like it or not the guy brought us credibility. TD was a badass and he knew how to get things done. I just wish a few more his moves had panned out. I really think TD would have gotten it done. Oh well.....here's to hoping Marv is a better GM than I think he'll be.

556005[/snapback]

I'm not sure how much credibility we had after going 5-11 in year 5 of TD's tenure. No offensive line, not much defensive line, uncertainty at the QB position, aging veterans at many other positions. Credibility? Hah!

I'm not sure how much credibility we had after going 5-11 in year 5 of TD's tenure. No offensive line, not much defensive line, uncertainty at the QB position, aging veterans at many other positions. Credibility? Hah!

556164[/snapback]

Regardless of the record, TD was and is a respected front office guy around the league, as well as with both players and agents. TD will have absolutely no problem getting another gig, and I would not be surprised if that team made the playoffs faster than we get back there. I hope I'm wrong about that, but I just don't believe TD was the problem.

Regardless of the record, TD was and is a respected front office guy around the league, as well as with both players and agents. TD will have absolutely no problem getting another gig, and I would not be surprised if that team made the playoffs faster than we get back there. I hope I'm wrong about that, but I just don't believe TD was the problem.

556443[/snapback]

Marv has 5 years apparently if he wants to beat out TD's new team

I...wish I could be an 1/8th as sharp as him, but the league has changed significantly since he left...

555970[/snapback]

As GM, I see bringing in the best possible personnel as the primary objective. Granted, Modrak, Mularkey, et al. will have a huge role there, but I like Marv's example from the PC about disagreeing on who to draft regarding character vs. talent.

I don't have the exact quote, but he said that they ended up drafting Shane Conlan, and the other guy they considered ended up in jail.

That part of the game has NOT passed Marv by, and I think he's perfect for that role. I have recently switched allegiances to my 2nd-favorite team (which was always FAR distant to my #1 - the Bills) because they picked up Eli "Daddy doesn't want me to play for San Diego" Manning and Jeremy Shockey, so I do believe character is important.

Go Marv, but more importantly, GO BILLS!

555965[/snapback]

It's not that the wrong guy was let go, it was that both (TD & MM) needed to go.