Sullivan needs to lighten up

Tolstoy

I just love the fact that our owner and GM's 5 year plans now includes... DONT DIE....

The problem with Sullivan is that he thinks by running coaches and GM's out of town will improve the situation.

I said before and I will say it again. No one good wanted the GM job. So we took a legend that has begged for a shot the last 5 years and gotten zero interest. What is next? Jim Kelly comback to play QB!!

He also brings instant credibility to the front office.  As I noted yesterday, he is a master motivator, organizer, administrator, and judge of talent.  Marv is also a listener, not a preacher.  He will encourage Mularkey and the other coaches to be better, and he will work to provide the tools needed for them to accomplish the goals of the franchise.

555017[/snapback]

Isn't that exactly what a GM is supposed to do ? As with corporations, the best CEO is not the best CFO, COO etc. He is best at keeping things in check, setting strategy, motivating his minions and providing a great PR face. Same thing goes with the Presidency of the country.

And contrary to several opinions on this board, I do see these developments as a significant change - firing of a GM and impending firing of the OC, DC, strength coach. A majority on this board are baying for everyone's blood save Bobby April's. There has to be some continuity and I see these steps as those in the right direction. The only way to blow it is by hiring a crappy OC and DC. For that we all have to reserve judgment.

Sullivan has done nothing in his lifetime but write commentary on what others do, and more often than not, provide commentary that is criticism.

My question is: what the hell does he know about anything?  He is not a good writer, and he has no expertise about anything, much less football.  Maybe he is a good parent, husband and friend.  I hope so, otherwise he is a complete loser as a human being, and should be ashamed of himself.

Sullivan criticizing Wilson?  Levy?  He doesn't hold a candle to these men.  Sullivan is a whiny schoolyard nerd criticizing men who aren't afraid to try to accomplish some good in the world.  What has Sullivan done that gives him license to criticize?  Has Sullivan fought in a war?  Set up charitable foundations? Taught our children? Practiced Medicine?  Law?  Set up a business?  Fixed water pipes?  Built a house?  Tilled a field?  What good has he accomplished other than filling our ears with negativity?

I think we should flood the Buffalo News with demands to fire Sullivan.  Than, maybe, he would be forced to get a real job and serve others in some positive capacity.

554962[/snapback]

I am no fan of Sullivan but being critical of him for doing nothing but "..write commentary on what others do" ignores the fact that his job is to do just that. Its what sports writers do. He is not a reporter, relaying the scores, the facts, etc. He is a writer so he writes.

What have any of us here ever done that give us the license to criticize? Well, we were born and we were fortunate enough to be born where we are free to be critical of whatever we want, hence, we all have that license.

I just love the fact that our owner and GM's 5 year plans now includes...  DONT DIE.... 

The problem with Sullivan is that he thinks by running coaches and GM's out of town will improve the situation.

I said before and I will say it again.  No one good wanted the GM job.  So we took a legend that has begged for a shot the last 5 years and gotten zero interest.  What is next?  Jim Kelly comback to play QB!!

555112[/snapback]

I disagree-by being negative about whatever happens, he thinks he willsell papers

I am no fan of Sullivan but being critical of him for doing nothing but "..write commentary on what others do" ignores the fact that his job is to do just that.  Its what sports writers do.  He is not a reporter, relaying the scores, the facts, etc.  He is a writer so he writes.

What have any of us here ever done that give us the license to criticize?  Well, we were born and we were fortunate enough to be born where we are free to be critical of whatever we want, hence, we all have that license.

555204[/snapback]

I agree 100%. People don't like what Sullivan says or how he says it, so they complain:

-He doesn't get any stories, all he does is critcize (well, that's his job - it's not reporting news as much as it's writing an opinion column)

-He doesn't give any suggestions about what should be done, he only complians about what is wrong (again - not his job to find the solution)

-He's a hack and works in a small market because he couldn't get a better job elsewhere (by that logic, everyone in jornalism in Buffalo is a hack because they don't have the talent/driveto work for the NY Times)

-He's not qualified to criticize Wilson or Levy because he doesn't have their football experience (guess you have to be in the Hall of Fame to be able to criticize someone in the NFL - I guess just being a fan or someone who follows the Bills isn't enough to speak up - we should shut down the Wall and all go home).

Here's a thought - if you think Sullivan's a hack, don't like what he has to say or they way he says it, don't read it. Judging by the folks on this message board, there are people who agree with what he has to say and may even like his writing. Hell, I hate Ann Coulter for her message, tone and what I feel is a lack of understanding about her subject matter, but I know others like her and she's got a right to do the job she's paid to do - give her opinion and sell her media product (I just choose not to read her column).

so they complain

555248[/snapback]

How are these people any different from Sully? They "complain" while he "analyzes?"

The "don't read it" argument is only valid if his columns were printed in the weddings or want ad sections. You can't put a spam filter on the sports page, unfortunately...

The "don't read it" argument is only valid if his columns were printed in the weddings or want ad sections.  You can't put a spam filter on the sports page, unfortunately...

555266[/snapback]

You're telling me that because Sullivan is published on the sports page you're forced to read his column? :lol:

You're telling me that because Sullivan is published on the sports page you're forced to read his column? :lol:

555281[/snapback]

Nobody is forced to read his columns, and no one is complaining that they're forced to read his columns.

However, when there's a link to one of his articles purporting that he's spreading the gospel, a little cold water on Jerry's fiery flames is sometimes in order.

Of course he's a columnist who's held to a different standard than a beat reporter. Of course, every sports town with a newspaper has a rabble rousing columnist who's job it is to write slanted opinion pieces.

But, doesn't it make people wonder that out of all the writers covering Bills, Sully is the only one that gets specific deriding mentions by the owner, the former GM and players?

He was probably proud that Wilson called him out for sitting in the front row of this particular car crash.

I agree 100%. People don't like what Sullivan says or how he says it, so they complain:

-He doesn't get any stories, all he does iscritcize (well, that's his job - it's not reporting news as much as it's writing an opinion column)

-He doesn't give any suggestions about what should be done, he only complians about what is wrong (agan - not his job to find the solution)

-He's a hack and works in a small market because he couldn't get a better job elsewhere (by that logic, everyone in jornalism in Buffalo is a hack because they don't have the talent/driverk for the NY Times)

-He's not qualified to criticize Wilson or Levy because he doesn't have their football experience (guess you have to be in the Hall of Fame to be able to criticize someone in the NFL - I guess just being a fan or someone who follows the Bills isn't enough to speak up - we should shut down the Wall and all go home).

Here's a thought - if you think Sullivan's a hack, don't like what he has to say or they way he says it, don't read it. Judging by the folks on this message board, there are people who agree with what he has to say and may even like his writing.  Hell, I hate Ann Coulter for her message, tone and what I feel is a lack of understanding about her subject matter, but I know others like her and she's got a right to do the job she's paid to do - give her opinion and sell her media product (I just choose not to read her column).

555248[/snapback]

Great Post Avenger

I'll start with this - I may be the only one to admit it on this board, but I like a lot of what Sullivan has to say.

In response to the original post asking whether Sullivan has ever "tilled a field" or "practiced medicine" (??) - how would doing such things give a sports writer "license to criticize"? I guess we should just get rid off all editorial writers then, since it is their job to criticize yet NONE of them have "set up charitable foundations". And most of the other things you requested Sullivan do before he criticize are just JOBS done by people with the same motives as Jerry Sullivan has in doing his job:

Teachers teach to make a living for their family.

Doctors practice medicicne to make a living for their family.

Lawyers practice law to make a living for their family.

Water-pipe-fixers fix pipes to make a living for their family.

(I could go on but I think you get the point.)

Jerry Sullivan editorializes to make a living for his family.

Althought there may be a bit more nobility involved in the choice to become a doctor over a sports columnist if the person is genuinely choosing medicing b/c he wants to help people, I truly feel that in a city like Buffalo where football is religion and oftentimes the only thing that some people have to hold on to, a sportswriter HELPS them in a certain way that a Doctor or Lawyer never could - they give people something to talk about which gets their minds off of all the other crap going on in their lives.

And, as its already been said, if you don't like Sullivan don't read him. Just b/c its in the paper doesn't mean you have to read it - if you need something else to do to fill your time, there's a field I know that needs some tilling.