Rose Bowl Game Thread

OnTheRocks

the Rose Bowl = V.Young Vs. USC, texas has nothing elso more to do, and there D-line aint playing that great. Lendalle White looks sick, a very very strong, durable and quick RB, almost like a E. James or Thurmanator. Bush looks good too, but I can see him gettin crushed in the NFL by some defensive lineman and killing him.

the Rose Bowl = V.Young Vs. USC, texas has nothing elso more to do, and there D-line aint playing that great.  Lendalle White looks sick, a very very strong, durable and quick RB, almost like a E. James or Thurmanator.  Bush looks good too, but I can see him gettin crushed in the NFL by some defensive lineman and killing him.

554648[/snapback]

I would take White over Willis hands down, the guy is going to be a great NFL back. I have also bee impressed with Byrd and Huff.

How did V. Young NOT win the Heisman?  He should be the MVP of this game.  Even if Texas loses!

554655[/snapback]

It's pretty obvious Bush's game is heavily affected by the speed of the defenses he faces. That doesn't mean he won't be a great pro, but he is predominantly an outside runner, and just like the NFL it's difficult to run outside against fast defenses. Put him against defenses with a little less speed and he looks like one of the best runners in NCAA History.

two things

1. anyone see the look in Vince young's eyes before the final drive? You KNEW they were going to go down and score.

2. Pete carroll got his by being an arrogant prick and not punting on 4th down with 2 mins left. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: pete and leinhart

awesome game, so good to see usc choke...

Threepeat this, "Choke-sign" Carroll.

554687[/snapback]

One of the All Time worst Coaching Jobs I have ever seen...I mean is there anyone in the entire Football World that did not know Young was going to Run the Ball on 4th Down?...And the decision to go for it on 4th Down at Mid Field? What the heck was that?

Just horrible...No way SC should have lost that Game...They were the better Team IMO...And if Bush does not try that stupid lateral they would have saved Carroll the brain craps of having to make any 4th Quarter decisions because the whole Game turned on that Play...

Congrats to Texas though...They took advantage of SC's arrogance and Won the Game...They should be talking about this one for a while... :doh:

One of the All Time worst Coaching Jobs I have ever seen...I mean is there anyone in the entire Football World that did not know Young was going to Run the Ball on 4th Down?...And the decision to go for it on 4th Down at Mid Field? What the heck was that?

Just horrible...No way SC should have lost that Game...They were the better Team IMO...And if Bush does not try that stupid lateral they would have saved Carroll the brain craps of having to make any 4th Quarter decisions because the whole Game turned on that Play...

Congrats to Texas though...They took advantage of SC's arrogance and Won the Game...They should be talking about this one for a while... :doh:

554712[/snapback]

Did work for the Mtneers... Yet, that was a fake punt.

??

Not watching the game but, I must agree... I would have punted.

What a game. In fact, what a BCS series. The ONLY thing the NFL has on college football is a legit playoff system / champ determination (remember, USC didn't win the BCS two years ago; LSU did).

I think major D-I ball is much more exciting than pro ball right now, which seems tepid in comparison.

Aspects of college ball that I would love to see in the pro game:

--One foot inbounds for a reception.

--15-yard max for pass interference.

--More plays, fewer TV timeouts.

--The streamlined, nearly-always-correct replay review system.

--Guaranteed posession OT.

--Marching bands.

--The Texas cheerleaders.

Anyway, here's to a great Bills '06.

And to the chance that Levy and Mogilny could return to Buffalo in the same week (see the Sabres boards)!

Not as obvious as Leinart, but Carroll looked to be a sore loser too IMO. When Brown met him after the game, Carroll was like get the !@#$ out of my face.

554734[/snapback]

i didn't see leinhart's reaction.. what did he say?

Something like "the better team didn't win.".

554751[/snapback]

Well...The comment was certainly uncalled for...classless...

But it's hard to argue with the basis of the comment after I watched the Game...I'm not a big Fan of either Team (though I did grow up in LA), and Young was certainly awesome, but I would say SC lost this Game more than Texas Won it...

If SC does not bumble away all those 1st Half opportunities the Game would have been a Blow Out...It was heading that way early no question about it...I give Texas all the credit in the world for hanging in there and bouncing back over and over again...But it seemed to me after that rediculously stupid lateral attempt by Bush the entire SC Squad was in a daze for the rest of the 2nd Quarter...That was the difference in the Game if you ask me...It was not just the point swing but the momentum was clearly in SC's favor before that point...and they had already squandered scoring opportunities up to that point...

Like I said...give Texas credit especially on Offense...but SC flat out blew this Game, and I'm not sure any defensive Coach on SC's side was awake for a single Film session leading up to this Game...Cause they obviously did not understand Texas' Offense completely revolves around Young's ability to scramble and run options and draws...As a Michigan Fan this Game seemed like a carbon copy of last Years Rose Bowl as far as Young was concerned...I just refuse to believe the Kid is THAT unstoppable... I mean,your not going to stop Young all together...but if you slow him down a bit, SC beats them going away tonight...

Just my opinion though... Congrats to Texas and Mack...I have to admit after all those Years watching him as NC's HC I never thought he could do it...:doh:

But it's hard to argue with the basis of the comment after I watched the Game...I'm not a big Fan of either Team (though I did grow up in LA), and Young was certainly awesome, but I would say SC lost this Game more than Texas Won it...

If SC does not bumble away all those 1st Half opportunities the Game would have been a Blow Out...It was heading that way early no question about it...I give Texas all the credit in the world for hanging in there and bouncing back over and over again...But it seemed to me after that rediculously stupid lateral attempt by Bush the entire SC Squad was in a daze for the rest of the 2nd Quarter...That was the difference in the Game if you ask me...It was not just the point swing but the momentum was clearly in SC's favor before that point...and they had already squandered scoring opportunities up to that point...

Like I said...give Texas credit especially on Offense...but SC flat out blew this Game, and I'm not sure any defensive Coach on SC's side was awake for a single Film session leading up to this Game...Cause they obviously did not understand Texas' Offense completely revolves around Young's ability to scramble and run options and draws...As a Michigan Fan this Game seemed like a carbon copy of last Years Rose Bowl as far as Young was concerned...I just refuse to believe the Kid is THAT unstoppable... I mean,your not going to stop Young all together...but if you slow him down a bit, SC beats them going away tonight...

Just my opinion though... Congrats to Texas and Mack...I have to admit after all those Years watching him as NC's HC I never thought he could do it...:doh:

554795[/snapback]

I actually disagree here - USC's offense had the oppoortunity to end that game on the 4th down, after Texas' defense was sucking air, had 4 guys with IVs, 13 with cramps I think they said.

Yet, we STILL stopped them on defense and found a way to win.

This is the way this team has been all season - against good teams, they might not win with a blowout, or real pretty, but they always find a way to win the football game.

Its a testament to Huff on defense, the real leader of the defense, and Young on offense. Its a lot like the Sabres - the "team" aspect of the Longhorns finds them ways to win close games, whereas USC doesn't have that same effect, they just have talent.

554795[/snapback]

I would have to agree with most of what you said, but I think a huge role in this outcome was motivation. If the media wasn't labeling USC the greatest team of all time, and giving Texas absolutely no chance in this game then USC wins this game more times then not. But that adage of 110% is used for a reason.

USC still gave great effort but this Texas team was on a mission, and I hardly believe it was because of Mack Brown. That motivation can only be attained by the entire nation giving you no chance not only these last few weeks, but all season. Congrats to Texas for bringing that type of effort, and that type of talent, because that was the only combination that could dethrone the Trojans this year.

I think major D-I ball is much more exciting than pro ball right now, which seems tepid in comparison.

--Marching bands.

--The Texas cheerleaders.

554728[/snapback]

You DON'T want to see a 15 yard limit on pass int calls. This encourages beaten DB's deep to tackle the WR peventing a catch and you only get penalized 15 yards.

--Marching bands.

--The Texas cheerleaders

554728[/snapback]

How could you leave off the clock stoppage after you gain first down yardage so they can move the chains? That rule makes the end of close games so intense! As long as the team is throwing downfield and moving the ball, the clock will stop. Teams with 0 timeouts can use the middle of the field instead of just the sidelines.

USC should have won this game despite Vince Young's incredible performance.

I have to question Pete Carroll's decison making. If Vince Young gets the ball, Texas was going in for a touchdown. That is just how effective Vince Young was against a tiring USC defense. If Young got the ball with time on the clock, Texas was going to score. Even punting was better than what SC called. Although I agree with the decision to go for it on 4th down I cannot believe that Reggie Bush wasn't on the field for this play. The distance needed for a 1st down was not much. By putting Bush and White in the backfield at the same time, there would have been more doubt as to what the play would be and who was getting the ball. It worked all game. Decoy Bush and give it to White. But just putting White back there made it much easier to defend. Of course it was going to White.

And as for burning the timeouts!!! Especially the last one. Especially all of them. For God's sake, Young was going to get them in for the two point conversion. Don't waste the TO!!! I know the clock was running. Three passes downfield against a prevent defense with the SC line protecting as well as they had been doing would have enabled a field goal attempt and a classic OT finish.

As for Bush's botched pitch, play less basketball and concentrate only on football. That was playground slop.

Right after SC went up by 12 after Bush ran for his touchdown the SC players were acting like they had separated from Texas and had the game won. Just like Marino, the guy is fiercely competitive. If there is time on the clock you cannot count Vince Young out.

But so goes football.

Congrats Longhorns!!!

I would have to agree with most of what you said, but I think a huge role in this outcome was motivation. If the media wasn't labeling USC the greatest team of all time, and giving Texas absolutely no chance in this game then USC wins this game more times then not.  But that adage of 110% is used for a reason.

USC still gave great effort but this Texas team was on a mission, and I hardly believe it was because of Mack Brown.  That motivation can only be attained by the entire nation giving you no chance not only these last few weeks, but all season. Congrats to Texas for bringing that type of effort, and that type of talent, because that was the only combination that could dethrone the Trojans this year.

554806[/snapback]

PSU-Miami, January 1987. "Vinny Testaverde has a bright future as an NFL quarterback. John Shaffer has a bright future as a financial analyst." That may have been true -- Shaffer is doing well on Wall Street, last I heard -- but he also has a national championship ring from that season, and Vinny doesn't.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.