NFL Schedule makers love patriots

From Monday Morning Quarterback on SI web page

Trying to glean an edge for the 2006 pennant race? Well, my guess is we'll be talking about the Colts and Patriots as the strongest contenders to win next year's Super Bowl. Examining each team's 2006 schedule:

Neither team goes to the West Coast ... New England plays only three games outside the Eastern time zone (Tennessee, Minnesota, Green Bay) ... Road games vs. 2005 playoff teams: Pats 2, Colts 4. That's an edge for New England right there ... All told, the Colts have seven games against teams that made the playoffs in 2005, New England five ... Pats play one dome game ... Colts have tougher NFC road, versus strong NFC East. Pats get weaker NFC North.

And of course, for the sixth time in seven seasons, the Colts will journey to Foxboro.

It seems the Patriots have the schedule advantage.

The 2006 schedule (as well as all schedules through 2009) is determined by a formula that was put into place before the 2002 season.

The "schedule makers" only determine when the games are played. Which team plays which and where are determined years in advance.

I was under the impression that anyone who follows the NFL would know this.

From Monday Morning Quarterback on SI web page

Trying to glean an edge for the 2006 pennant race? Well, my guess is we'll be talking about the Colts and Patriots as the strongest contenders to win next year's Super Bowl. Examining each team's 2006 schedule:

Neither team goes to the West Coast ... New England plays only three games outside the Eastern time zone (Tennessee, Minnesota, Green Bay) ... Road games vs. 2005 playoff teams: Pats 2, Colts 4. That's an edge for New England right there ... All told, the Colts have seven games against teams that made the playoffs in 2005, New England five ... Pats play one dome game ... Colts have tougher NFC road, versus strong NFC East. Pats get weaker NFC North.

And of course, for the sixth time in seven seasons, the Colts will journey to Foxboro.

It seems the Patriots have the schedule advantage.

550513[/snapback]

Too bad the NFL schedule is set up years in advance and there are only 2 games that will change in any given year. The onyl part of the schedule to be deicded for next season is whether or not the Pats go to Cincinnatti or Denver (they will host the other).

I hate the pats as much as anyone, but this is just crybaby bellyaching over something theres no control over.

BTW - we have 14 common opponents with the pats, just a slightly different home/away schedule. This means that buffalo should have a relatively "easy" schecule next year then too.

That's already decided as well.  In 2006, the '05 AFC East Champion hosts the '05 AFC West Champion (Denver) and visits the '05 AFC North Champion (Cincinnati).

550564[/snapback]

My bad. i didnt know that even THOSE games were determined in advance as well. Do you know if that goes by the entire division? As in, do the AFC east teams this season host the AFC west games next year and go away to the AFC central? I only ask because i know the bills go to balt next year, and we host the chargers, in the same format as NE.

My bad. i didnt know that even THOSE games were determined in advance as well. Do you know if that goes by the entire division? As in, do the AFC east teams this season host the AFC west games next year and go away to the AFC central? I only ask because i know the bills go to balt next year, and we host the chargers, in the same format as NE.

That's a good question. I hadn't even though of that.

The answer appears to be yes. All AFC east team this past year hosted an AFC South team and visited an AFC North team, so that must be the format.

(EDIT: Same way next year too - all AFC east teams host their respective AFC West teams and visit their respective AFC North teams)

I was under the impression that there was/is a strength of schedule element that helped the weaker teams in a subsequent year.  When was that changed?

It was change before the 2002 season, mainly (I imagine) as a result of the Texans-induced realignment. Now, only 2 of 16 games on a team's schedule are affected by the previous season's standings.

I think since it's the same for all teams, it really comes down to how good the team is. If a team isn't good, it isn't good! The Patriots have been good, and the Bills haven't. A team must play well to beat another team, and the Bills didn't do that, and the pats have.

The 2006 schedule (as well as all schedules through 2009) is determined by a formula that was put into place before the 2002 season.

550553[/snapback]

Wrong. It is determined my a mojo witchie woman who carries a chicken leg in her purse and will feed you gumbo if you can guess her age. B-)

My only question is why have the Colts had to play *IN* NE so frequently?

Again, formulas.

2003 was the last time the entire AFC East had to play the entire AFC South. In that season, the Patriots travelled to Indianapolis.

In 2006, the entire AFC East plays the entire AFC South again; and this time, the Colts will travel to Foxboro.

The two regular season match-ups in between were both in Foxboro because the AFC South champ was slated to visit the AFC East champ in both of those seasons ('04 and '05).

No conspiracy here as others have pointed out. I will raise my 'brow that the Pats get another playoff night home game,,,,this time against the warm weather Jags in Frozen Foxboro. What?...Pittsburgh and Cinci aren't worthy of the Sat night prime timer?!?