Marv Levy to come in and help?

Bflojohn

I call shenanigans. Why hasn't there been some sort of link for these Levy rumors yet?

549772[/snapback]

I can say, with almost 100% certainty, that Levy has been talking to Ralph over the last few weeks. Levy inferred as much, a few weeks ago in a public speaking engagement, and some of the Buffalo media have mentioned it as well.

I think the world of Marv Levy. I am not saying he would be my first choice to lead the Bills at this point, either as a GM or a HC. However, in all seriousness, he is not the worst possibilty I have seen mentioned in connection with the Bills. I know that we all have a tendancy to be cynical. SDS mentions that none of the 53 players on the Bills roster, save Eric Moulds, would give a flip as to who Marv Levy is. I am not so sure I believe that. The last few years, after every team was picking "up and coming" co-ordinaters to run their teams, some of the old timers have been successful. Just look at the success that Dick Vermeil had in St Louis, and to a lesser degree, KC. His players loved him. They played for him.

The Bills could do far worse than have Marv Levy around, in some capacity. Assuming TD is canned, Marv can be the new "ol Whitey"!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

SDS mentions that none of the 53 players on the Bills roster, save Eric Moulds, would give a flip as to who Marv Levy is.  I am not so sure I believe that.

549781[/snapback]

I don't believe that for a second either. Some people tend to forget that Marv IS a legend especially in Buffalo. And all the players on this team right now know who Levy is and what he has accomplished. Good coaches use their players strengths and develop game plans around them. He motivates and it has a trickling effect from the top-down. Compare him to Gibbs. Eveyone in Washington said he was to old. Well. He's in the playoffs. I'm not saying that a hc job for Marv is good or the answer but some kind of a role whether it be consulting or management might be a smart option.

Some of you folks are simply UNREAL.  Levy was one of the best things for the Bills and Buffalo in his tenure and all some of you knuckleheads  want to do is mock and belittle him...

What would be wrong with bringing him in to help stabilize things?  I for one like this idea.  He is a man of high intelligence and integrity.

549677[/snapback]

Methinks you might be taking some jokes a bit too seriously- and any player that doesn't take Coach Levy seriously deserves a beat down that the NFL would frown upon, and to be cut- and I dont care who it is- respect the team's history or get the heck out! NO EXCEPTIONS

Im all for Levy comeing in as president and for overlooking player personel but, Im not sure Id want him dealing with player contracts and the cap....how much input did Levy have on that stuff durring his HC years?...maybe keep TD arround for cap and contract work and let Levy deal with the players and coaching staff...mortensen also said the MM most likely will be arround next year depending on the Levy hire....if Levy comes in as presidet/advisor what do you think he dose with the staff?

Oh God, I hope not... :unsure:  :)

Marv was blessed with exceptional talent. It's nothing he did...

549534[/snapback]

You cant be serious? Do you honestly believe that the Bills would had the same results over that span without Marv coaching that team? Not a chance. The players bought into what he was saying. He took the bickering Bills and molded them into 4 time AFC Champions.

He was blessed with exceptional talent but it was everything he did with it. Marv may be a little too old to coach but he stills has a great football mind and would be a valuable addition to the organization if Ralp brings him back in some capacity.

I personnally do not want to see him as our GM or HC again (assistant coach maybe).

I think he was a great coach in the day, but I don't think he can come back and do it again. As an adviser or as president, I say why not, I think he would be great in that role.

As for the people saying Levy sucks or that he only looked good cause he inherited good players, thats a load of crap. Sure he had good players, but they need someone to lead them and thats what he did. Thats what a head coach is supposed to do. Was he the best X's and O's Football guy? Maybe not, but he was an excellent motivator and knew how to get his team focused and prepared which is something that this team lacks.

If Levy was only good cause he had a very talented team, then couldn't you say the same for Billicheck, Dungy, and any other HC that has a playoff team or recently won a SB?

Oh God, I hope not... :unsure:  :)

Marv was blessed with exceptional talent. It's nothing he did...

549534[/snapback]

Show me a winning coach that isn't blessed with exceptional talent. There's a lot more to coaching than just the personnel you have on the field. You still have to keep them together as a cohesive unit and motivate them to play together. It's just like the military. You can have the best individual Marines in the world but you're only as strong as your weakest one....

Show me a winning coach that isn't blessed with exceptional talent. There's a lot more to coaching than just the personnel you have on the field. You still have to keep them together as a cohesive unit and motivate them to play together. It's just like the military. You can have the best individual Marines in the world but you're only as strong as your weakest one....

549934[/snapback]

Only until you frag his ass, or get him booted out of the Corps. :unsure:

If this is true, that would bring a lot of optimism to Buffalo.  It would be great to have Marv Levy back on the sidelines.

549659[/snapback]

You're kidding right? I don't want any 80 some year old roaming the sideline for my team especially one that doesn't have much talent at this point. He had all the talent in the world back in the day and still couldn't win the BIG ONE! :unsure:

You cant be serious? Do you honestly believe that the Bills would had the same results over that span without Marv coaching that team? Not a chance.

549907[/snapback]

Are you saying that Marv was the only coach capable of being highly successful with a team full of HOF caliber players? :unsure:

Surely you jest....

Are you saying that Marv was the only coach capable of being highly successful with a team full of HOF caliber players?  :D

Surely you jest....

549954[/snapback]

Wow, I think you are really underestimating what Levy did. I am sure that he is not the only coach who could have won games with those teams, hell there are probably a few who could have won a Super Bowl or two with them. But, beyond the big name guys (Kelly, Thurman, Reed, Hull, Bruce, and Bennett) those Bills teams were comprised of decent, not great talent, role players. Their effectiveness and success was a result of the atmosphere Levy created around the team. Most did very little when they went to other teams.

Marv may not be the X's & O's guy on par with a Bill Walsh , but he certainly had the "team concept" idea down as well as any of his contemporaries. I am not so sure that couldn't be used with todays' version of the Bills. Give Levy, and old guy even then, credit for doing something as radical as handing his teams offense over to his QB, and run a "no-huddle offense" because he saw it gave his teams the best chance to win.

Just think of a guy like Steve Tasker. It was Levy's forsight, and his emphasis on an aspect of the game that was always (at that time) under emphasised that made Taskers' career. He very likely would have languished on the waiver wires for a few years, and fallen the way of a bunch of other slowish, marginal wide receivers if Levy hadn't seen the potential. Tasker was as smart as they come, maybe not as physically gifted as some. Other coaches would likely have only held on to Tasker, until someone faster came along. I could, with a straight face, argue that Levy's dedication to the special teams, and some of the other more mundane aspects of the game, contributed 2 or 3 victories per season for the Bills, during the "Super Bowl" era.

A head coach doesn't always have to be an offensive or defensive genious, he can hire assistants for that. He does, however, have to be able to keep a team focused on their game plan, and on the team concept. In his day, Levy did this as well as anyone. It is a lesson that genious' like Mike Mularkey definitely needs to learn....

Believe me, I am not advocating Levy to be the Bills next GM, but I just don't understand why so many think having him involved with the organization would be such a mistake.

A comprehensive plan would incorporate as much of the current talent, player and coach alike, that are currently under contract.  Their contract status and their specific abilities must be considered to determine if their services are necessary to the club's future. 

We have a collection of talented players and coaches that under-achieved. They lost sight of what their goals were, or they were abandoned.  Some saw their responsibities change, often, week to week.  This rudderless ship had no fate but the rocks. 

Give your coaches a workable plan and players committed to it's success. 

If this is all Marv tells Ralph,  I'll be happy.

549751[/snapback]

I would have to think the opposite. I believe players would know exactly who he is and what he's done for the Bills and want to play that much harder for him albeit GM or coach

Hopefully Marv would bring along Dwight Adams. Although if Modrak stays on that won't happen. Modrak=Donahoe as far as I'm concerned. I think this team would have been much better off with a great OL and DL and an average QB rather than drafting the likes of Parrish, McGahee, Losman etc.... Had they bolstered the lines, kept PW and kept a talented supporting cast and had an average QB this team could definitely compete. Is JP the future? I don't know but are people willing to endure two more straight 5-11 seasons to find out? He better come back and be able to accurately throw a 10 yard out. I do like his work ethic and mobility. I just hope he calms down and plays.

For those stating Marv was just a good coach b/c of talent---so is every coach. Belichick never has had a winning record without Tom Brady as QB. Brady is the best QB in the game in the past 25 years. I think Belichick is one of the best coaches ever, but he's no good with no talent. At least Marv got something out of those teams with talent. The Bills have had talent and last year were loaded with talent and went 9-7!