Ralph Back in the Saddle on Draft Day

Rico

I agree that JP was the right choice at the time as was picking up DB. But in both cases they were burdoned with bad offensive lines. I still think JP can work out and I'm frustrated that we wasted this year by not giving him playing time. He needs playing time so we can see if he'll sink or swim. If he sinks then we look for an alternative. But right now we really don't know what we have. Our coach and GM were more concerned about winning a couple more games to try to save their jobs.

What happened to the power running and strong defense that were going to give JP time to improve while still winning? The coach folded and listened to some veterans that are on the way out the door and wanted to win now. This year was a total waste of time. :blink:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have scouts and front office people spending hundreds of hours pouring over film and workouts of the draftees.  What is RW possibly going to add to what has already been compiled?  Granted he is the owner and has the ultimate say, but I don't see anything he can bring to the table that hasn't already been covered by his football staff.

548518[/snapback]

He's just going to ask the question: "are you sure we need to draft another WR when our O-line is in shambles???"

PTR

How can anyone say JP was a bad pick when we still don't know what he's capable of doing with some experience.  Most rookie QBs look bad in their first full year unless they have a great O-line and commitment to run like Pittsburgh had last year. 

If Ralph is going to become more like Jerry Jones, I just pray that he doesn't get the facelift.

548643[/snapback]

I remember reading in January 2003 something like...

"How can anyone say MW was a bad pick when we still don't know what he's capable of doing with some experience. Most rookie OL look bad in their first full year unless they have a great coach"

We can then swap the Pittsburgh reference for a comment on McNally's abilities.

So, I think you could make a case for not saying JP was a bad pick because it's too early to tell... but, I can't find a case of a QB who looked awful and was being labeled as a bust just before he took the NFL by storm and became a solid, playoff starting QB.

It's just like with your boyfriend or girlfiend... first and second time you find out about some of his/her defects and despise them... you hope that with time, she can change or at least try to hide them... but you find out that he/she was trying to hide them from you so you thought they were the perfect one for you, and they become more evident and frequent as time goes on.

Have you ever watched the Losman draft video on BB.com?  Ralph looked pretty !@#$ing happy when we landed JP.

548680[/snapback]

I remember watching a video where Ralph looked pretty !@#$ing happy when we landed Dorenbos... no more boring flights home after a loss!

"How can anyone say MW was a bad pick when we still don't know what he's capable of doing with some experience.  Most rookie OL look bad in their first full year unless they have a great coach"

So, I think you could make a case for not saying JP was a bad pick because it's too early to tell... but, I can't find a case of a QB who looked awful and was being labeled as a bust just before he took the NFL by storm and became a solid, playoff starting QB.

It's just like with your boyfriend or girlfiend... first and second time you find out about some of his/her defects and despise them... you hope that with time, she can change or at least try to hide them... but you find out that he/she was trying to hide them from you so you thought they were the perfect one for you, and they become more evident and frequent as time goes on.

548695[/snapback]

Terry Bradshaw.

Just go back and look at his first year stats.  Under 40% completions, 6 TDs, 24 picks.  He was abysmal.

548789[/snapback]

5 games 72 comp 138 attempts 52.2 % 935 yards 6.8 YPP 3 TDs 8 INT

14 games 195 comp 363 attempt 53.7 % 2282 yards 6.3 YPP 8 TD 13 INT

Those are Steve Young's totals in his third and fourth pro season. And according to Bills fans, this team is as bad as the Bucs were. They had a similar record in Young's fourth season. Losman is close to Young in the way they play. They can run and run with speed, have a strong arm, often try for gutsy plays and resort to playground tactics. I am not saying in any way that Losman is as good or will be as good. He is a similar kind of player.

5 games  72 comp 138 attempts  52.2 % 935 yards 6.8 YPP 3 TDs 8 INT

14 games 195 comp 363 attempt 53.7 % 2282 yards 6.3 YPP 8 TD 13 INT

Those are Steve Young's totals in his third and fourth pro season.  And according to Bills fans, this team is as bad as the Bucs were. They had a similar record in Young's fourth season. Losman is close to Young in the way they play. They can run and run with speed. have a strong arm, often try for gutsy plays and resort to playground tactics. I am not saying in any way that Losman is as good or will be as good. He is a similar kind of player.

548804[/snapback]

I honestly thought the same thing when they drafted him. Young was probably the most talented QB I've ever seen. It took smart guys like Walsh and Seifert to use him in a way that made him a HoFer.

I honestly thought the same thing when they drafted him.  Young was probably the most talented QB I've ever seen.  It took smart guys like Walsh and Seifert to use him in a way that made him a HoFer.

548809[/snapback]

Guess that dooms JP then.

There's no smart guys like Walsh and Seifert on the horizon in WNY. :blink:

"How can anyone say MW was a bad pick when we still don't know what he's capable of doing with some experience.  Most rookie OL look bad in their first full year unless they have a great coach"

548695[/snapback]

Drew Brees

Just go back and look at his first year stats.  Under 40% completions, 6 TDs, 24 picks.  He was abysmal.

548789[/snapback]

Abysmal was putting it mildly if you watched the steelers play back then.

Personally, I like JP and the way he played this year. I think the only problem was he didn't play ENOUGH. I mean, realistically all you can expect out of a young QB making his first series of starts in this league is to make some good plays. The bad plays are almost a given with a young QB... we can't expect him to consistently light up a defense like a 10 year all pro or something. What we can hang our hat on is he had his days this year where he played at that level. With experience you hope that develops into consistency and being able to play that way week in and week out. We probably won't know for sure how he'll fully develop for at least another year to 2 years.

But what I do hang my hat on is him scrambling around and making plays that few QB's in this league can and the way he feathered that pass to the back of the endzone to Lee Evans... it was sheer perfection. Those things showed me he's CAPABLE of greatness... and right now that's all we can ask for. Lets hope he gets there.

I don't need RW meddling in the war room on draft day. If he can't trust the staff he hires to run the football operations, then we have a problem.

548484[/snapback]

The bottomline is this is Ralph's team, he put up the money to get the franchise, he brought Buffalo the Bills, if he wants to sit in the War Room on draft day he has every right to do that.

My guess is all he wants is to be informed, and TD was to arrogant to do that. TD probably was acting like he owned the Bills and made all decsions w/o taking to the man that writes the checks. If I was the owner I would get tired of that behavior as well, especially in light of the on field performance.

In Levy's book, he talks about when he was hired as HC, Ralph's wife called and asked Marv to be sure to talk to Ralph about the team and game and he did, my guess is TD thought he was to good to even report to the owner, he sealed his own fate.

I'm also encouraged the owner seems to be as pissed off as the fan base, because the GM/President and HC don't appear to care.

I hope Ralph gets a superbowl trophy some day