Ralph Back in the Saddle on Draft Day

Rico

What?

Wilson said he believes he needs to take a more active role in the team, rather than sitting back and letting his top football man make the decisions without the owner's significant input.

"I'm going to be more active," Wilson said. "I've been around this game for a long time. And I'm not going to take somebody else's word that we're going to draft this guy because he's a heckuva player. If we're going to take somebody in the first three or four rounds, I want to see him on tape.

"The last time I saw a player (on tape) we took first, with our first pick, was Thurman Thomas. I saw him personally."

I wonder which of TD's picks has pissed him off the most...

could it be MW? ;)

hope it's not JP. :lol:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it was JP he was talking about. In fact, Wilson went out of his way (even after "calling JP out") to emphasize that he wasn't blaming Losman.

I think RW was pointing out how angry he was for believing the hype that the team would be good enough to win with a young, untested QB. (See Chicago) The team isn't good enough in A LOT of areas.

I actually think RW's comment was more of a general one -- and I think a clear indictment of how he feels that he's been snowed by TD. In fact, for those of you who are worried that RW will maintain TD is some capacity, this is to me me the clearest indication that TD is gone.

It is also scary to think that this may mean that RW will become overly meddling with whomever our new GM will be... That could scare good candidates away.

It was JP.  There is noway he called JP out by name and not have it have meaning.

548472[/snapback]

I think it was JP as well. His pick seems to have been something of a spur of the moment "genius move" by TD and I'm sure RW was caught off guard, like the rest of us.

I don't need RW meddling in the war room on draft day. If he can't trust the staff he hires to run the football operations, then we have a problem.

548484[/snapback]

I didn't see RW's comment as meddling...I just think he wants to know the players the front office is targeting so he can have some input on the discussion. Ralph's a pretty knowledgeable football guy for an owner and I don't think he likes to be kept in the dark.

If we want to "blame" someone for the Losman pick, then that goes squarley on the shoulders of Sam Wyche, who scouted him at his public workout -- and gushed about how he had a better workout than Manning.

I for one do not want to blame anyone for this pick, as I still think JP can work out if given proper coaching and supporting players (OL in particular).

I don't think Ralph looking at a guy on tape is going to mean squat. Some of the best talent evaluators have blown high draft picks. Ralph would do better to actually fly prospective draft choices in to his office and meet them face to face. That would probably tell him alot more about a guy's character.

I didn't see RW's comment as meddling...I just think he wants to know the players the front office is targeting so he can have some imput on the discussion.  Ralph's a pretty knowledgeable football guy for an owner and I don't think he likes to be kept in the dark.

548504[/snapback]

You have scouts and front office people spending hundreds of hours pouring over film and workouts of the draftees. What is RW possibly going to add to what has already been compiled? Granted he is the owner and has the ultimate say, but I don't see anything he can bring to the table that hasn't already been covered by his football staff.

You have scouts and front office people spending hundreds of hours pouring over film and workouts of the draftees. 

548518[/snapback]

He can add perspective, which is always valuable. If RW veto's a 160 lb slot receiver as the 55th pick in the draft, then I'm all for the change! :blink:

And I'm not sold on this scouting staff, which for the most part is very young and inexperienced. IMO, Modrak is the Teflon Tom of this organization, not TD.

That's great news. Now during the draft, the war room guys can all feast on Ensure and scrambled eggs through a straw along with Ralph while he waxes nostalgic about playing on the same high school team as George Halas' dad.

548562[/snapback]

Then we end up drafting Cornelius Bennett. :blink:

That's great news. Now during the draft, the war room guys can all feast on Ensure and scrambled eggs through a straw along with Ralph while he waxes nostalgic about playing on the same high school team as George Halas' dad.

548562[/snapback]

:blink:

Creamed corn, offensive lineman, applesauce....

In case none of you have noticed...

The JP Trade, as bad as the actual deal was, was a necessity at the time. We needed a young QB. Green bay was going to take JP a few picks later. We looked at the 2005 draft and saw nobody exciting (Smith and Rogers would be gone before we picked, and there was really nothing else exciting...)

Turns out rogers fell ALOT in the next draft, but nobody could have seen that coming.

We needed a QB and we got one. You cant fault TD for that. Honestly, my only gripe with TD is the way he has completly neglected the lines, and head coach selection. Alot of other things didnt go as planned (i.e. Bledsoe, etc.), but overall I am happy with the personnel on this team. JUST GET SOME BIG GUYS UP FRONT.

Draft Priorities

1) OL

2) DL

3) DB

How can anyone say JP was a bad pick when we still don't know what he's capable of doing with some experience. Most rookie QBs look bad in their first full year unless they have a great O-line and commitment to run like Pittsburgh had last year.

If Ralph is going to become more like Jerry Jones, I just pray that he doesn't get the facelift.