After a full season on his own...

Kipers Hair

Do you guys think that Willis was much of an upgrade over having Travis as our starter? I know TH is dumb as a stump, but on the field - he produced, arguably better than WM. Willis has shined at times - but I really am not sure that taking Willis with that pick and moving TH for a 3rd rounder was a great thing for the Bills.... I'll chaulk it up to anotherdumbass TD move...

Do you guys think that Willis was much of an upgrade over having Travis as our starter?  I know TH is dumb as a stump, but on the field - he produced, arguably better than WM.  Willis has shined at times - but I really am not sure that taking Willis with that pick and moving TH for a 3rd rounder was a great thing for the Bills....  I'll chaulk it up to anotherdumbass TD move...

546276[/snapback]

At this point I would have to say it is a push. McGahee has a lot more upside, but he has not shown any of it in the 2nd half of this season.

What really made me laugh in your post was hearing you say Travis was as dumb as a stump. Everytime I hear McGahee talk I cringe and I picture a collection of rocks in his head instead of a brain!

I guess we've been blessed with 2 rocket scientists in a row at RB :w00t:

We need a better OL to make a comparison. This OL is so sad that Willis cant do anything really.

546281[/snapback]

This line isn't any worse than what Henry ran behind...I think McGahee has more upside, yes, but he doesn't run with the hard, determination that Travis ran with, at his best. Both have proven adept at tripping over their own feet on key downs. Neither has proven to be a reliable short yardage runner. A push....though I am not writing off Willis just yet...I would have liked to see both of them get more opportunities to catch the ball out of the backfield. Travis was a bad receiver early on, but improved that part of his game quite a bit, before being benched. I just remember what a killer play it was, in the glory years, seeing Kelly toss the screen pass to Thurman for 20-30 yards a couple times a game. I love the screen pass...Madden says that defenses today are much more adept at stoping it...

Fastest bills runningback to 2000 yards

Still accounts for most our total yards of offense

99 yards per game through the first 8 games 49 through the last 7 (hey who's missing from our oline)

These Mcgahee threads are getting tired. Get some offensive linemen who are capable of basic pulling, and drive blocking and we can have this discussion. This is about as fruitless if I asked......

After a season on the bench with a broken leg and a half season of starts and trading 3 draft picks was drafting JP Losman the right move? Of course the answer would be no So I dont get what you're looking for in this thread other then to bash willis.

Look at the move in its entirety...

We traded a number 1 in 2003 for Bledsoe

We manuvered to get that #1 back in the 2003 draft by franchising a #2 receiver and then trading him...

We used that #1 to draft an injured running back who would not be ready to play until 04 but was checked out by doctors and declared very probable to return to his past form..he would have been a top 10 and possibly a top 5 pick in 03 had he not been injured in the national championship game.

Would I still make these moves...abso !@#$ing lutely -- its really easy to Monday morning QB--

Has Willis been a disappointment--well 1200 yards is now pretty much the gold standard for top shelf backs--he's there--we got what we gave up with the 23rd pick...

Fastest  bills runningback to 2000 yards

Still accounts for most our total yards of offense

99 yards per game through the first 8 games  49 through the last 7 (hey who's missing from our oline)

These Mcgahee threads are getting tired.  Get some offensive linemen who are capable of basic pulling, and drive blocking and we can have this discussion.  This is about as fruitless if I asked......

After a season on the bench with a broken leg and  a half season of starts  and trading  3 draft picks was drafting JP Losman the right move?  Of course the answer would be no So I dont get what you're looking for in this thread other then to bash willis.

546294[/snapback]

Not bashing Willis at all - that was directed at TD. If anything, I think Bills fans were to quick to throw Henry under the bus...he was a tough little back who also ran behind a bad line...

This line isn't any worse than what Henry ran behind......

546289[/snapback]

Sure it is. Benny Anderson can't move out of his own shadow and for all his good potential, Peters doesn't run block nearly as effectively as he pass blocks. The lack of any push in short yardage last week was embarassing for an NFL line.

IMO, this group is much less effective run blocking than any in the TD era. And the lack of a credible passing game makes that weakness even more glaring.

I think that what people are missing is that WM and TH are two totally seperate kinds of backs....

TH - will get you 3-5 yards no matter how bad your line is.....unfortunately his style of running into the backs of OL with no patience for blocks usually means a short career for a running back.....and he hasn't seen the field a whole lot (although he will play hurt) he also cant pick up blitzes....and isn't a natural receiver.....

WM - A big powerfull back who unfortunately dances when holes close up because he prefers to be patient with his blocking instead of just powering for what is there.....a much better blitz pickup WHEN HE WANTS TO BE......and better hands as a reciever....capable of making the breakaway run......

We need the OL we were promised folks......

I guess the bottom line is that travis is a guy who was limited, but would give you his all. willis has almost no limits talent-wise, but will only give his all if he sees a purpose to it. the pick, as a pick, was worth it, because at the time there was no one on the board with near the value. the pick, as a player, is questionable since his heart is only in it if he has an appropriate supporting cast.

Do you guys think that Willis was much of an upgrade over having Travis as our starter?  I know TH is dumb as a stump, but on the field - he produced, arguably better than WM.  Willis has shined at times - but I really am not sure that taking Willis with that pick and moving TH for a 3rd rounder was a great thing for the Bills....  I'll chaulk it up to anotherdumbass TD move...

546276[/snapback]

To answer your own question, why don't you start by reading your screen name. Then, you could check out these stats, which only tell a portion of the ugly story of Travis Henry. Don't be too surprised if TH is out of football in a year or so.

Willis is clearly superior to TH in every phase of the running back position.

Are you the same person that argued with me that Travis was a top 5 back and Tiki Barber sucks? Ummm.. maybe Willis has some issues, the Oline has gotten worse, no push whatsoever, and a "Dawgged" coach. So no Travis Henry was a has been when he his the league with his 15 fumbles per year. Now he is a has been who doesn't even see the field for the 2nd worst team in the league. To top it off while Willis is no great blocker, he as least will attempt on occassion, Travis didn't even attempt and it was like 10 vs. 11 when he was on the field for a passing play.

Sophmore slump, tho with OL as a plausible reason/excuse?

Combine that with iirc he's now in the third year of a four-year deal (one of them spent not playing). No incentive to bust his a-- this year when it won't help him out. Watch out next year. I hate those kinds of players who only bother to really play up to their potential for their contract, tho. Too bad it's not realistic to sign those types of people to a string of 1-year contracts.

The Bills knew more about Henry's off field problems than anyone else & knew he had to go. The problem isn't that they chose McGahee to replace Henry. The problem is, there was a healthy running back on the board who was picked a few picks later who has outperformed McGahee-Larry Johnson. Not taking Johnson was the mistake. There was no mistake made in trying to get rid of Henry, a fumbling, injury prone drug user and sex offender.