Young talent on the line

Adam

Gotta like the improved play of Tim Anderson, Aaron Schobel, and Justin Bannan, especially over the past few games. Denney and Kelsay have come along as well.

I think Mike Williams would play better if the interior line held up better, not hanging the tackles out to dry- am I right, or will he get that chance? Only time will tell.

But I think we have quite a few building blocks right now

They give us what they have. tKelsay is weak against the run and I do not recall many pressures let alone sacks. Denny has not done bad vs the run. We need a defensive lineman who can draw a double team. We don't have one today.

Mike Williams cannot consistantly pass block versus a stunt. Opponents know it and thus he gets exposed whenever he is on the field. I think he is a dominant run blocker when healthy. Bottom lline he is playing at the level of a backup not an 11 million dollar player.

Denney is a decent backup and one of our best ST players. Makes a lot of tackles on kick coverage. I hope they sign him back up. Andersons play has really improved over the last month. Bannon is good as a rotation guy but the Bills need a run stuffing DT in a bad way.

I wouldn't mind seeing Kelsay replace Posey. I think he's a little small for a DE but just flys to the ball when he gets off his block. Sideline to sideline range.

Schobel gets better every season.

They give us what they have. tKelsay is weak against the run and I do not recall many pressures let alone sacks. Denny has not done bad vs the run.  We need a defensive lineman who can draw a double team. We don't have one today.

Mike Williams cannot consistantly pass block versus a stunt. Opponents know it and thus he gets exposed whenever he is on the field. I think he is a dominant run blocker when healthy. Bottom lline he is playing at the level of a backup not an 11 million dollar player.

544202[/snapback]

Exactly. I see all of these guys as decent backups. The reason we suck so bad is all our starters are other teams backups.

Exactly.  I see all of these guys as decent backups.  The reason we suck so bad is all our starters are other teams backups.

544206[/snapback]

And they've made significant progression each year- who's to say they wont be very good starters soon

I wouldn't mind seeing Kelsay replace Posey. I think he's a little small for a DE but just flys to the ball when he gets off his block. Sideline to sideline range.

Schobel gets better every season.

544204[/snapback]

Will Crowell be switching to Posey' side now that he has got a contract

extension and Posey has not ?

I'm really not unhappy with our tackle play this year. Gnady hasn't been a turnstile at LT and Peters has held up well since he was inserted. Interior line needs to be our off=season focus. Steve Hutchinson and LeCharles Bentley would be nice (albeit expensive) solutions. If TD or his successor can renegotiate big Mike down to a reasonable cap number I'd move him to RG. His cap figure has to come down though, nobody can afford an 11 million dollar guard.

Left to right that'd make

Gandy

Hutchinson

Bentley

M. Williams

Peters

That works for me...obviously the question is finainces...though I get the sense that RW is antsy and won't quibble too much about cash...particularly given that 2007 is currently uncapped so all sorts of cap shenanigans will be taking place this off-season...

Will Crowell be switching to Posey' side now that he has got a contract

extension and Posey has not ?

544598[/snapback]

Crowell's a little small to play over the TE all the time. I wouldn't be shocked if Spikes is the one to switch sides and play over the TE next year. As we've all discussed and seen before w/ Sam Cowart, his athleticism will likely be diminished in the future and it would make more sense to have the smaller guy play the weak side if that's the case.

I'm really not unhappy with our tackle play this year.  Gnady hasn't been a turnstile at LT and Peters has held up well since he was inserted.  Interior line needs to be our off=season focus.  Steve Hutchinson and LeCharles Bentley would be nice (albeit expensive) solutions.  If TD or his successor can renegotiate big Mike down to a reasonable cap number I'd move him to RG.  His cap figure has to come down though, nobody can afford an 11 million dollar guard.

Gandy

Hutchinson

Bentley

M. Williams

Peters

544603[/snapback]

What effect has Peters had on the running game....Ever since he replaced MW the running game has gone south along with the passing game....I don't understand how Peters has been an improvement over MW...The only improvement I see is a guy who is energetic and puts in lots of training rather than a lazy 4th overall pick who is pocketing 11M.....But then if you are a rank outsider trying to get in to a job that you covet at work, won't you be doing the same.....trying to please your boss so as to get that job....

Bottom line, we really need 2 Guards and a center....May be Peters moves to LT and MW gets back his RT spot.....Preston gets the left guard spot and Villarial

stays for one more year at the RG...Villarial and MW had it going together with

the signals etc....Of course this all depends on the finances.....what pay cut is

MW willing to take for a long term security.....

I'm really not unhappy with our tackle play this year.  Gnady hasn't been a turnstile at LT and Peters has held up well since he was inserted.  Interior line needs to be our off=season focus.  Steve Hutchinson and LeCharles Bentley would be nice (albeit expensive) solutions.  If TD or his successor can renegotiate big Mike down to a reasonable cap number I'd move him to RG.  His cap figure has to come down though, nobody can afford an 11 million dollar guard.

Gandy

Hutchinson

Bentley

M. Williams

Peters

That works for me...obviously the question is finainces...though I get the sense that RW is antsy and won't quibble too much about cash...particularly given that 2007 is currently uncapped so all sorts of cap shenanigans will be taking place this off-season...

544603[/snapback]

I'd prefer this-

Gandy/draft pick

Preston

Bentley

Williams

Peters

Much more cap friendly

That works for me...obviously the question is finainces...

544603[/snapback]

I think perhaps more obvious is whether those guys will be available on the open market.

I'd prefer this-

Gandy/draft pick

Preston

Bentley

Williams

Peters

Much more cap friendly

544711[/snapback]

I'd prefer that Williams go suck his thumb in another NFL city.

Preston is a complete unknown and wasn't rated highly at all, coming out of College. The middle of the OL is my biggest worry. Bentley should be priority #1. Go after a Guard ( or two) in FA.

Crowell's a little small to play over the TE all the time.  I wouldn't be shocked if Spikes is the one to switch sides and play over the TE next year.  As we've all discussed and seen before w/ Sam Cowart, his athleticism will likely be diminished in the future and it would make more sense to have the smaller guy play the weak side if that's the case.

544606[/snapback]

I would agree with this assessment as a possibility for next year. I'm not sure Crowell has enough of a "power pack" as they say, to play on the strong side.

IMHO, Mike Williams is heading for retirement at the end of the season.

Apparently, he talked about retirement a few years ago and someone on the Bills talked him out of it. Do I have a link????? NOPE, this is all hear say, unless someone else has a link.

What really leads me to look at this is he has no heart into the game what so ever. He has been out with a "chest" or a "back" problem for the last 5 or 6 weeks. The way mularkey presents it every week is extremely suspecious, plus, I don't think Williams is even practicing.

He just seems to be content with his signing bonuse and wants out. He is a rich man, why waste part of his life getting beat up??? With his size, all that extra weight is hurting him, emotionally and physically.

What effect has Peters had on the running game....Ever since he replaced MW the running game has gone south along with the passing game....I don't understand how Peters has been an improvement over MW...The only improvement  I see is a guy who is energetic and puts in lots of training rather than a lazy 4th overall pick who is pocketing 11M.....But then if you are a rank outsider trying to get in to a job that you covet at work, won't you be doing the same.....trying to please your boss so as to get that job....

Bottom line, we really need 2 Guards and a center....May be Peters moves to LT and MW gets back his RT spot.....Preston gets the left guard spot and Villarial

stays for one more year at the RG...Villarial and MW had it going together with

the signals etc....Of course this all depends on the finances.....what pay cut is

MW willing to take for a long term security.....

544619[/snapback]

The running game has gone south and maybe you hit on part of the problem. Villerial's absences and poor play when he's been in there haven't helped either. Nor has Anderson been of any value at all. He's simply just another Jamie Nails...

Many young tackles stuggle a bit in the pass blocking, but Peters has done reasonably well in this area, yet to me, his blocking does seem to be lacking at this point, but I'm sure someone out there will disagree with us.

They give us what they have. tKelsay is weak against the run and I do not recall many pressures let alone sacks. Denny has not done bad vs the run.  We need a defensive lineman who can draw a double team. We don't have one today.

544202[/snapback]

I agree with most of that but the real problem on that line is guard to guard. All three are just awful. Yeah, we gave up a lot of pressure from the edge but the interior pressure from right up the middle is what was fatal to both the run and the pass. As bad as Williams was, Bennie is so bad they actually thought that the failed Williams might be an upgrade in a position he has never played. That says to me that the coaches felt that the weakest position on the entire line was LG and the were desperate enough to even try Williams there.

I can live with Peters and maybe even Gandy next year but I want Anderson out and I would love to upgrade Teague and Villarial. You can move plays away from edge pressure, the QB can even just step forward against an edge rusher an buy an extra second. You can't do anything if they penetrate the middle. The distance to the QB is just too short from there and even if they don't get there, the QB can't see anything. Worse, he can't step up into the pocket so that the edge rushers find themsleves too deep to make a play because there is no pocket to step up into.

Guard to guard we are arguably the worst in the league. Other teams know it and that is why they love to bring their DE's stunting up the middle or running LB on delays right up the center.