A Very Early Mock

Mikie2times

This is my current mock draft with the assumption of Buffalo picking between 3-6. In my mock the Bills also were awarded a 3rd and 4th in compensation for PW and JJ. Finally Ferguson did not fall to the Bills so I traded down 5-8 spots picking up an additional second round pick.

1.Haloti Ngata DT Oregon

2.Daryn Colledge OT Boise State

2.Davin Joseph OG Oklahoma

3.Terna Nande OLB Miami (OH)

3.Matt Lentz OG Michigan

3. Pat Watkins FS Florida State

4.Greg Threat SS Miami

4.Kamerion Wimbley DE Florida State

5. Josh Betts QB Miami (OH)

6.Clinton Solomon WR Iowa

7.Tramain Hall WR N.C. State

This is my current mock draft with the assumption of Buffalo picking between 3-6. In my mock the Bills also were awarded a 3rd and 4th in compensation for PW and JJ. Finally Ferguson did not fall to the Bills so I traded down 5-8 spots picking up an additional second round pick. 

1.Haloti Ngata DT Oregon

3.Matt Lentz OG Michigan

4.Greg Threat SS Miami

532839[/snapback]

Not bad. I really like Ngata too. I see you dont draft a CB. Do you think the Bills franchise Clements? I am hoping so. Also no WR until late. Do you think that will be addressed thru Free Agency since in all likelyhood Moulds will be gone

1.Haloti Ngata DT Oregon

3.Matt Lentz OG Michigan

4.Greg Threat SS Miami

532839[/snapback]

Cept for the Sooner, good draft

I probably would lean toward the same strategy that you've used. I wonder about Nande. He sounds like he's going to be a great player, but I wonder if that would in essence leave Buffalo three deep at weak side LB and having to put up with Posey for yet another year at strongside backer. Wouldn't Buffalo be better served by looking for a guy who has more size, who could fend off the tight end blocking on the strong side.

Bills may not get any free agent compensation since they also signed several players.

The teram must have a net loss of free agents to even be considered for compensation.

Not use of the numbers but Bennie and Gandy were free agents

532946[/snapback]

Gandy was cut by the Bears, so he was a street free agent and shouldn't count of those we signed. I think all things considered we may end up with a 3rd for the loss of Pat Williams (if he ends up making the Pro Bowl).

I like the theory behind the draft without knowing too much about individual players. I also like that you kept to their projected draft positions, not assuming we're going to get any great steals. A couple of thinks I would change:

1. I don't want another small receiver, even in the 7th round. There are almost always small-school big receivers worth a flier there.

2. I would switch the priority of the DE and LB and also look for more size in each.

Other than that, I like that our safties aro over 6'1 and our OL's are under 300 pounds. If only it was this easy, Kzoo.

Great draft. I agree with most of your assumptions but I'm hoping there will be a combination of Ferguson slipping down and us "slipping up" in the next two games.

I think there are two Tennessee players who may slip down to early third round. ONe is Jason Allen a top pick who was injured and didn't play this year. A cornerback, but worth a third pick and, probably a better fit, DT Jesse Maholona.

1) I would not count on being able to trade down with anyone this year. With the abundance of OL this year, I highly suspect anyone wanting to give up picks in order to trade up.

2) I would not count on any compensation picks awarded to Buffalo, at all. New England, on the other hand, will get 3 picks because Teddy Bruschi came back from a stroke. :blink:

Thussly therefore semicolon your draft looks like this

1.Haloti Ngata DT Oregon

3.Matt Lentz OG Michigan

532839[/snapback]

I moved up Wimbey because we need DE's to compete for playing time.

This Ngata scares me. Guys that big break down more easily. Yes, this team is in desperate need of big, athletic dudes on the line. But I'd go for a pass rusher with the early 1st round pick, preferably Mario Williams. Then, if Ngata, Wright, or one of the LT prospects hangs around in the 1st round, trade up to get them. This team has plenty of depth. It is in need of game changers on both lines.

Great draft.  I agree with most of your assumptions but I'm hoping there will be a combination of Ferguson slipping down and us "slipping up" in the next two games.

I think there are two Tennessee players who may slip down to early third round.  ONe is Jason Allen a top pick who was injured and didn't play this year.  A cornerback, but worth a third pick and, probably a better fit, DT Jesse Maholona.

533052[/snapback]

I consider DT the main priority in the first round, but a top 5 selection might be a little early to go with Ngata. If he's your target I think you do everything possible to drop down a few spaces, but if Reggie Bush, D'Brick Ferguson, or Mario Williams are available they also need consideration.

Bush should be gone by then, but from the 3rd pick on any team in the NFL would be stupid to pass on him, no matter who they have at RB. Ferguson, is somebody we so desperately need, and we can’t afford to pass him up if he falls. He is supposed to have some of the best footwork, and pass protection skills of any college player in a long time, and that’s exactly what the Bills need at LT.

I saved Mario Williams for last because I view him as the wild card. He's supposed to be the best DE prospect since Peppers, and is built in the same mold. Another important variable is that he plays LE, which is currently occupied Chris Kelsey, not Aaron Schobel. A trio of Schobel, Williams, and Kelsey is very enticing, and while it doesn't improve us at OL or DT, sometimes turning an average group into a great group can really pay off.