With the #4 pick in the 2006 draft

NavyBillsFan

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take the best player available as long as he is an OL or DT. I'd rather see the Bills start with an OL. Even trade the pick, move down and get an extra couple picks. The new GM should be ripping the current team up and starting over. They will need as many draft picks as possible. Needs are OL, DL, CB, S, WR, LB, TE. No gimmick pick this time. No reach pick this time. Just take the best player from a big name school that is available at a position of need.

I couldn't agree more about needing a stud pass-rusher. Schobel is a good player but not a game changer. Plus, Williams from NC State is a big dude. That guy from BC seems too light for what this team needs right now. Use one of the early 3rd round picks to trade back up into the 1st round and Wright or Ngata will probably still be around by the late teens/early twenties. Use the other 3rd on a TE. And Ralph needs to open his wallet for Bentley (he will have to over-pay, but that is the stage the franchise is at).

I'll toss in another vote for Mario Williams. The only other player I would consider taking before Williams is Ferguson.

I don't think this defense is ever going to play well against a top offense until the day that they can generate a pass rush from just the front four defensively. Not only can Williams rush the passer, but at 6'6 290lbs, he should be able to hold up against the run better than most DEs, too. Even with a top 5 contract, Williams will be a bargain if the contract of someone like Jevon Kearse is any indication. Considering that Denney is a FA and Kelsay is a FA after 2006, I think the decision to make this pick becomes quite easy.

I think we will pick five or six and the best o lineman out there is:

D'Brickashaw Ferguson OT from Virginia. I like the tight end from Georgia (pope, I think) for the second round if he decides to come in the draft. Look at Defensive Tackle Jess Mahalona who should make it to the third round.

Yeah, Kris Farris was an outland trophy winner too...that worked out great  :lol:

531818[/snapback]

Farris was a castoff from another team. Not our pick.

Bills picked 2 Outland Trophy winners in Round 1.

Jim Ritcher and Bruce Smith. Ever hear of them ? :doh:

Anyone watched Davin Joseph - OG from Oklahoma and have a report on him? Not thinking he's a top-15 pick but perhaps we can package for a move up with 2nd or 3rd round picks?

I know scouting banter is exactly that, but I don't like this quote about Max Jean-Gilles:

"May lack a nasty demeanor and killer instinct.."

Sounds like MW redux.

I know scouting banter is exactly that, but I don't like this quote about Max Jean-Gilles:

"May lack a nasty demeanor and killer instinct.."

Sounds like MW redux.

532044[/snapback]

I don't know much about Gilles, but IMO if you're going to burn a day 1 pick on an O-Lineman, they better have 4 characteristics (not necessarily in this order):

1. big (not fat... but not small)

2. intelligent

3. athletic

4. mean

If a OL player is lacking any 4, I would not draft him on day 1.

As for this year's #1, I still say best DT if the value is there, or else trade down.

Haloti Ngata - The Tongan Terror.... although I highly doubt that the Bills will be picking 4th.

531646[/snapback]

With the coverage and awards he picked up this season he almost surely made the correct decision in declaring early for the draft, but the thing to consider is just how fast his star has risen..

I have no doubt that our management team realizes the catastrophic misjudgements they made in the past offseason at DT, and if there's anyone worthy of tour 1st round pick at the position it'll be automatic that he'll be drafted by us.

The question of whether it's the youngster from Oregon will make interesting conjecture leading up to the draft. If his speed lives up to its hype at the Combine he could very well be a top 3 or 4 pick since he's ineligible for the Senior Bowl and he consequently can't be graded in that setting, instead he'll probably end up at the East West Shrine.

The good news about the situation regarding him is that if it develops as outlined above it might very well lead to the best NFL prospect in the draft being available to the 2nd or maybe even 3rd team drafting a DT this off-season. Even though the Pac 10 has some mighty talent these days it's important to remember they've also given us fast rising draft hypes like Ryan Leaf.

I'm making no supposition about the kid's talent because I haven't seen him play, but his rise could lead to making some team very lucky in where he ends up being picked.

I any of our picks in the first three rounds are anything other than an OL or DL, I'm going to be pissed.

If any of them are a RB or WR, I'll probably have to buy a new TV.

The only negative against Haloti Ngata is that he tore his knee up 2 years ago, which seems to be OK now (looking at his stats this year). This guy has been a stud for a long time. He was ranked the number 2 player in the country coming out of high school in 2002, behind a guy called Vince Young (who has a little talent).

That being said ends are harder to find, and if Mario Williams would be my pick, but Ngata isn't bad compensation......

Hopefully we can sign a few O-linemen in free agency, there seems to be better options there than on the D-line.

I any of our picks in the first three rounds are anything other than an OL or DL, I'm going to be pissed.

If any of them are a RB or WR, I'll probably have to buy a new TV.

532105[/snapback]

Allow me to guarantee that you will be pissed.... no matter who is running the Bills' draft.

JDG

1st off... I would like to see whoever is making the decisions give Trading Down STRONG consideration...Scout well and Stockpile Picks...This Team has numerous Needs...

Even without a Trade Down the Bills are going to have 5 Picks in the Top 105 or so...I think it's pretty obvious OL, DT, an edge Pass Rusher, and Safety are the biggest Needs...

I think if the Bills stay put, and the Jr's declare as expected, it would be awfully tough for them to pass on Nagata, Mario Williams or Ferguson...I'm guessing it will be Nagata at this point...If the Bills are going to Pick that high I would rather see them take a shot at a Big, Athletic DT than anything else...It just seems to me in recent years the Top DT's have had far less 'Bust" factor than the OT's...But I could be wrong... 0:)

1st off... I would like to see whoever is making the decisions give Trading Down STRONG consideration...Scout well and Stockpile Picks...This Team has numerous Needs...

Even without a Trade Down the Bills are going to have 5 Picks in the Top 105 or so...I think it's pretty obvious OL, DT, an edge Pass Rusher, and Safety are the biggest Needs...

I think if the Bills stay put, and the Jr's declare as expected, it would be awfully tough for them to pass on Nagata, Mario Williams or Ferguson...I'm guessing it will be Nagata at this point...If the Bills are going to Pick that high I would rather see them take a shot at a Big, Athletic DT than anything else...It just seems to me in recent years the Top DT's have had far less 'Bust" factor than the OT's...But I could be wrong...  0:)

532199[/snapback]

Well, look at the recent drafts:

Ryan Sims (from the "Mike Williams" draft) is a bit of a bust. Henderson, from the same draft, has performed well for Jax. Haynesworth (Ten) probably rates a bit lower than his #15 selection (though he was projected higher).

2003: Jimmy Kennedy is viewed as pretty much a bust at No. 12 for the Rams, though he did lose all of the 2004 season and might be coming on a little stronger now. Jonathan Sullivan (No. 6) is not starting for the Saints. Dewayne Robertson (No. 4) has graded out at slightly above average for the Jets in an up-and-down career so far. So far Kevin Williams is looking very good as a pass rushing tackle, posting double-digit sacks in 03 and 04. '05 has been a little different with early struggles, an injury and Pat Williams making this line more of a run-stuffing unit.

2004: Harris looks decent, probably merits pick No. 14-15. Wilfork has been up-and-down but one of the betters in a DT-weak draft (only two first-rounders).

You're probably right, a little less bust factor at DT, but there are also less teams reaching for them early and a clear distinction is made b/t the top, top prospects and the second tier. Meanwhile, teams are always desperate for OL help and will sink more picks into that position hoping to strike gold.

532199[/snapback]

At this point, I think that 98% of NFL fan wants their team to trade down..... unfortunately for the Bills, with Bush and Leinart off the board when we pick, I don't see many teams wanting to trade up.

JDG

If D'Brickashaw is there I definately take him, if not trade down with possibly Oakland, who I think currently stands at pick 12. As they could be eyeing a QB as don't think Marques Tuiasosopo is a long term solution for them and Young and/or Quinn might be to their liking. Then with their pick take the best lineman available, I think OT Eric Winston should be there. If not I'd favor DT Rodrique Wright from Texas or his teammate OT Jonathan Scott. More the latter as think we could land a quality DT in Round 2.

If D'Brickashaw is there I definately take him, if not trade down with possibly Oakland, who I think currently stands at pick 12. As they could be eyeing a QB as don't think Marques Tuiasosopo is a long term solution for them and Young and/or Quinn might be to their liking. Then with their pick take the best lineman available, I think OT Eric Winston should be there. If not I'd favor DT Rodrique Wright from Texas or his teammate OT Jonathan Scott. More the latter as think we could land a quality DT in Round 2.

532511[/snapback]

The above was meant for you. That sounds like the ideal draft plan.