Franchising Clements

Tortured Soul

Clayton just said on Sports Center that the cap number for franchising corners will drop to $5.7 million next season from 8.8 this year.  I supported keeping Clements before.  I definitely do now, or at the very least franchise him.

531498[/snapback]

I'm for franchising him, and getting picks in the next 2 drafts. We arent going to get good by attempting a 1 year rebuild

Clayton just said on Sports Center that the cap number for franchising corners will drop to $5.7 million next season from 8.8 this year.  I supported keeping Clements before.  I definitely do now, or at the very least franchise him.

Wow, that's a HUGE drop in price and makes franchising him (and possibly trading him for a 1st rounder) almost guaranteed and much lower-risk. Cool.

Any reason given why the amount dropped? Is it something to do with the (currently) uncapped 2007 year?

There will be no need to franchise him. He's not worth that kind of money. Even the lowered amount.

Nate will not be getting Winfield money, so it will be an interesting process to watch unfold but remember there is a disadvantage to franchi sing someone, we cant do it again for 5 years I think, not sure though.

So we need to save tag for Willis in two years and then trade his sorry ass for who knows what :P

Wow think of all the ways TD could screw this up if given the opportunity. :P

There will be no need to franchise him. He's not worth that kind of money. Even the lowered amount.

Nate will not be getting Winfield money, so it will be an interesting process to watch unfold but remember there is a disadvantage to franchi sing someone, we cant do it again for 5 years I think, not sure though.

You're on drugs if you think that a) Clements is not worth Winfield money (if not more) and/or b) teams wouldn't love to have him for just $5.7M a year. :P

So we need to save tag for Willis in two years and then trade his sorry ass for who knows what  :D

Willis might not prove to be worth franchising if the O-line isn't fixed/he doesn't start playing better.

Wow think of all the ways TD could screw this up if given the opportunity.  :P

Somehow I think he won't get the chance.

No I don't think I am kidding you. If these cap numbers are correct, do you think someone is still lining up to pay him Winfield type money?

Especially after the year he has put forth?

If you are a GM and doing your homework there are some things that would scare you or an owner away from lining up to dump that kind of money on him.

Jacksonville game last year is one, and then when most guys stand tall knowing it's a contract year, he dies on the vine and gets To.rched, Lit Up repeatedly.

Maybe a TD type is lining up for him but imo, his stock has dropped dramatically.

A 6' something 200 poundish corner who can tackle with speed?

Well ya, sometimes and then others he just gets Torched.

No I don't think I am kidding you. If these cap numbers are correct, do you think someone is still lining up to pay him Winfield type money?

Especially after the year he has put forth?

If you are a GM and doing your homework there are some things that would scare you or an owner away from lining up to dump that kind of money on him.

Jacksonville game last year is one, and then when most guys stand tall knowing it's a contract year, he dies on the vine and gets To.rched, Lit Up repeatedly.

Maybe a TD type is lining up for him but imo, his stock has dropped dramatically.

A 6' something 200 poundish corner who can tackle with speed?

Well ya, sometimes and then others he just gets Torched.

So the best you have is the Jax game last year, and this year when the Bills have no defense at all? And Winfield is a better CB? Sorry but we'll have to agree to disagree.

If that's the case, they'll almost certainly use the franchise tag on him.

Clements has not had his best year, but there's little reason to believe he won't bounce back. He's still young and has no injury history. In a weak year for CBs both in FA and the draft, I don't think it'll be a tough sell if the Bills try to trade him. He's still the best CB available this offseason.

So the best you have is the Jax game last year, and this year when the Bills have no defense at all?  And Winfield is a better CB?  Sorry but we'll have to agree to disagree.

531606[/snapback]

That's cool :P

But I am willing to say Winfield is a better tackler.

Who was our last franchised player? I think it was Fina. It is big thing to do. I . But I am not saying that if that lower cap number is reality, that it wont happen. I am saying if the higher cap number is reality, it wont happen.

That's cool  :P

But I am willing to say Winfield is a better tackler.

A better tackler, but not a better CB.

Who was our last franchised player? I think it was Fina. It is big thing to do. I . But I am not saying that if that lower cap number is reality, that it wont happen. I am saying if the higher cap number is reality, it wont happen.

The last franchised player was Peerless Price. If you remember, the Bills traded him for a 1st and retained the use of their franchise tag. With the lower cap number, the chance of him being franchised just went to 100%, and the chance of him being traded for a 1st also rose significantly. At least in our eyes since we didn't know about it, but I'm sure other teams (and TD) did.

I plead ignorance and drunkeness having forgotten about PP.

But Clayton is the one saying the cap number is going down, doesn't that in turn mean that the cap number will be going up? :P

I ask forgiveness in forgetting about Peeerless though.

(thinking to myself, idiot :P

I plead ignorance and drunkeness having forgotten about PP.

Well, with a name like "beerme1...."

But Clayton is the one saying the cap number is going down, doesn't that in turn mean that the cap number will be going up?  :D

:P

I ask forgiveness in forgetting about Peeerless though.

(thinking to myself, idiot  :P

Yes, this was based on what happened with Peerless to a large extent.

but remember there is a disadvantage to franchi sing someone, we cant do it again for 5 years I think, not sure though.

:P

531559[/snapback]

We can tag Clements year after year after year if we want to (see Donovan Darius). It's good for the club if they determine it's worth the cap space, and bad for Nate cuz he never gets to see that huge signing bonus in his bank account and lives year to year. They can also tag him, trade him, and get the tag and cap space back.

The only caveat is that there is a period from somewhere around April to August where tagged guys never get signed to long term extensions, because that is where you lose the franchise marker for the duration of the deal.

Why is the Fina tag sticking in my head so much? Did they change the rule somewher along the way after we tagged him?

If you tag a player and then sign him to a long-term deal before August I believe, then the franchise tag is lost for the life of the contract. If a player is tagged and traded, the team gets the tag back when he's traded. I don't know why the Bills signed Fina to a long-term deal and lost the tag, when they could have waited and saved it.

Tag him and trade him.

We could easily get a first round pick for Nate.

We can't afford him when we have more pressing needs long both our offensive and defensive lines.

Plus we just shelled out a bunch of money to McGee.

531660[/snapback]

Quick question, if we get a 1st for Nate, how do we replace him?

Granted he has not been stellar this year, but he is still a top 10 CB. They do not grow on trees.

If he only costs 5.7 to tag and he's not willing to sign a realistic long term deal, tag him for the next few years until we can find a substitute.

Think this through people!

Quick question, if we get a 1st for Nate, how do we replace him?

Granted he has not been stellar this year, but he is still a top 10 CB. They do not grow on trees.

If he only costs 5.7 to tag and he's not willing to sign a realistic long term deal, tag him for the next few years until we can find a substitute.

Think this through people!

Draft one using the extra 1st rounder?

I think he gets either tagged or new contract. We cannot assume to replace a good CB when we will already be in need of lineman on both sides of the ball along with a wr and a safety.

I imagine he would have better numbers if we had a pass rush and an offense that could convert a third down to keep the D fresh.

Wow, that's a HUGE drop in price and makes franchising him (and possibly trading him for a 1st rounder) almost guaranteed and much lower-risk.  Cool.

Any reason given why the amount dropped?  Is it something to do with the (currently) uncapped 2007 year?

531541[/snapback]

The only reason I can think of is some collective drop in the contracts of CB's, such as last year, a bunch of CB's were in the last year of their contracts and were due a lot of money. I don't know for sure, but that's all I can think of.

If you tag a player and then sign him to a long-term deal before August I believe, then the franchise tag is lost for the life of the contract.  If a player is tagged and traded, the team gets the tag back when he's traded.  I don't know why the Bills signed Fina to a long-term deal and lost the tag, when they could have waited and saved it.

531662[/snapback]

I think that they have to sign him long-term at some early point in the offseason, probably around April 1st. If they don't sign him before then, they have to wait to another date, I think July 15th, because if they sign him in between those dates, they lose the tag for the length of the contract. Not sure what the exact dates are, though.

He's not that expensive. Say his cap number is 5.7. We save 5 from moulds alone, and a cople more from Big Mike and Sam each. And we're already 8 mil under. So after Clements, that still puts us about 10-12 mil under. And remember, it's not like free agents are going to be beating down the door to come to Buffalo.

I think a lot of the speculation on the drop in franchise number has to do with Charles Woodson's 10+ mil cap figure being off the books. He was franchised last year, and Oak wouldnt frnachise him again, as that would cost them 12+ million. So 10 mil is no longer the top CB number.