My Choice For Defensive Coordinator is

Bill from NYC

MIKE SINGLETARY

Coach Singletary is a decent, smart and intense person.

How many of you saw him (on ESPN) get in the face of Ray Lewis for acting out on the football field? Singletary does not seem to fear anybody, and frankly, he has no reason to.

I don't think that Sam Adams would have pulled his BS this season nor last with Coach Singletary in his face. If nothing else, the man could be counted on to get his players fired up.

Opinions?

MIKE SINGLETARY

How many of you saw him (on ESPN) get in the face of Ray Lewis for acting out on the football field? Singletary does not seem to fear anybody, and frankly, he has no reason to.

I don't think that Sam Adams would have pulled his BS this season nor last with Coach Singletary in his face. If nothing else, the man could be counted on to get his players fired up.

Opinions?

529413[/snapback]

He's a HoFer with hardware and that counts for A LOT. But what are his coaching credentials? Is he doing a good job in SF? Could he be counted on to draw up and coach complex schemes?

What's wrong with Gray? I know TD is on the hot (very hot) seat, but you guys have always loved your D. This year had some tough breaks with injuries.

529449[/snapback]

Gray = no adjustments, just blitz, blitz, blitz (unless we want to let our most hated rival make a comeback)

What's wrong with Gray? I know TD is on the hot (very hot) seat, but you guys have always loved your D. This year had some tough breaks with injuries.

529449[/snapback]

His "break-but-don't...oh-sh---it-already-broke...Aww-crap" defense. And as someone just mentioned, NEVER an adjustment. Hard-headed, stick-to-the-plan-that-isn't-working defense.

NEVER an adjustment. 

529453[/snapback]

This is interesting. Last year the 3rd quarter was always when the Defense was at it's best because of the adjustments Gray would make at half time. I agree there have been some breakdowns on defense this year but i put that more on the fact that they are on the field a lot more, they lost two top key players in Pat Williams and Teko Spikes, and their safeties got old seemingly overnight.

I like Jerry Gray and I would prefer to keep him at DC.

Are there better candidates out there? Probably, but I don't think a change for the sake of change is a good idea.

This is interesting.  Last year the 3rd quarter was always when the Defense was at it's best because of the adjustments Gray would make at half time.  I agree there have been some breakdowns on defense this year but i put that more on the fact that they are on the field a lot more, they lost two top key players in Pat Williams and Teko Spikes, and their safeties got old seemingly overnight. 

Are there better candidates out there?  Probably, but I don't think a change for the sake of change is a good idea.

529483[/snapback]

What about playing CBs 10 yards off a receiver? What about abandoning the rush when it's been working all game? How many times have you watched and seen a receiver wide freaking open against this defense? Maybe it's personnel, but I'm more tempted to believe that Jerry benefited from the personnel last year than to believe in his genius.

Losing Spikes and especially Pat Williams hurt. But NE seems to lose guys all the time and can still contain with a system that works...

MIKE SINGLETARY

Opinions?

529413[/snapback]

I like it. Look what Ron Rivera has done with the Bears defense this year.

The Samurai is one of my favorite football players of all time and I would be thrilled to have him associated with the Bills in any capacity.

The only downside is that if you hire him as a co-ordinator, he's only going to be here for a year (or two at the most) before somebody offers him a head coaching job somewhere, and then you have to start all over again installing and learning yet another new/different package.

Agreed. Last year, one of the biggest strenghts of the Bills top-ranked D was Gray's half-time adjustments. This year, the talent just isn't there.

No Spikes.

No Pat Williams.

No Ron Edwards.

No Sam Adams.

McGee has missed some time.

Add to that we have an aging secondary with 2 safeties on the wrong side of 30... you're not going to stop many people in this league.

This is interesting.  Last year the 3rd quarter was always when the Defense was at it's best because of the adjustments Gray would make at half time.  I agree there have been some breakdowns on defense this year but i put that more on the fact that they are on the field a lot more, they lost two top key players in Pat Williams and Teko Spikes, and their safeties got old seemingly overnight. 

Are there better candidates out there?  Probably, but I don't think a change for the sake of change is a good idea.

529483[/snapback]

MIKE SINGLETARY

Opinions?

529413[/snapback]

I don't think the problem with this team is Sam Adams being a jerk. Missing tackles, not being able to handle a stunt, blown coverages and the inability to generate a pass rush without having to send in 9 guys is our problem.

Bruce Smith was a jerk and Thurman could be a real moody SOB. Reed and Kelly could be creeps often enough. Being a good player, one who makes plays, and being a nice guy are not the same. Its nice when being a good guy and a good player go hand in hand but it isn't necessary. For my money, if I want character I'll cheer on a Boy Scout troop and the next jamboree. I want wins and I don't care if it takes a squad of Conrad Doblers to get them.

Agreed.  Last year, one of the biggest strenghts of the Bills top-ranked D was Gray's half-time adjustments.  This year, the talent just isn't there.

No Spikes.

No Pat Williams.

No Ron Edwards.

No Sam Adams.

McGee has missed some time.

Add to that we have an aging secondary with 2 safeties on the wrong side of 30... you're not going to stop many people in this league.

529933[/snapback]

With those guys in place, we could stop the run but even with him, we were still vulberable to a good passing attack, especially two minute offenses. We were unable to generate a pass rush even against just 5 blockers with only 4 down lineman against the better teams. To get pressure, we had to send extra bodies, usually Molloy, and that can leave you naked in the secondary.

The ability to stop the run and the patsy loaded schedule we played last year covered up that defensive weakness though it showed on occasion such as in the opener against J'ville.

Just about every good defense in this league starts with a top pass rusher on the right side or with a wrecking crew type of DT. Adams and Williams were solid on the run but not so great getting in the backfield and our DE's are so mediocre it is depressing. It was only a matter of time before that weakness was exposed.