Mike Williams.... why is he a bust?

Have you actually watched him?  :D 

He isn't that good.  Overhyped by the coaching staff, and great strides from TE to tackle, but that transition happens somewhat often.  As a TE he already understood some of the end of line blocking schemes, plus he is a good athlete.  That makes up for a lot of it. 

So yeah, bad coaching.

526793[/snapback]

A guy who's playing RT for the first time in his career, and is far from embarrasing "isn't that good?" What transition happens somewhat often? Can you tell me the last TE that made this easy transition? Paul Seymour?

Don't you find at least a hint of coincidence that when the right side of the OL had been healthy, the overall unit has been very strong.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a bust because he was expected to be an elite player, someone that wanted to excel at his profession, dominate the game, and become a leader on the team. He was the first lineman taken in the draft. The guy was expected to be a rock at LT for a decade and a player the team could build around.

What the Bills got was a guy that never played a down at LT, isn't even in the starting line-up, can't beat out a TE at RT, and can't even beat out a complete stiff at LG.

How is he not a bust?

'Cause he threw a couple nice blocks once in a while? The "blind squirrel" defense is just pathetically flagging when it comes to defending someone like Mike Williams that the Bills had such lofty ambitions about.

Yeah, a 23 year old losing their mother (all reports were that his grandmother raised him) compared to a 30-something losing their father are completely different animals, especially considering the fact that it's very likely his grandmother was one of the only close relatives he had.  The amount of money he makes is completely irrelevent in that situation.

CW

526910[/snapback]

regardless, before and after her passing he still never lived up to his hype. i think hes a great guy very down to earth person. but to be honest i have not seen a bit of fire in him that tells me he wants to succeed in his position. im sorry after 4 seasons of playing tackle and for the coaches to switch him to guard just speaks for itself. use all the excuses you want. hes a bust. and how is a 30 somethign losing his father different. michael jordan's father was murdered brutally and he didnt falter in his play. if not it only lit a fire within him. successful players know how to channel their emotions.

A top pick like that and making millions and he can't beat out a converted TE 7th round nobody at RT nor a journeyman LG who leads the team in holding calls. 

Yeah, I think he qualifies as a bust.

No fire in the belly.

526789[/snapback]

Is it possible that TD knows he will cut MW at the seasons end, so he is using this lost season to see if Jason Peters in the answer at RT?

Most every draft pick in the top 10 is a BUST if you consider their value. Many are good players that don't warrant their huge salaries. MW is the same way. This season he was in the best shape of his career and he ended up injured most of the time. He is probably our best lineman when healthy. He is a good lineman, not great like you would want a top OL to be. I would keep him if he takes a paycut on his salary and agrees to increase it through bonus money. I could easily see him going to another team and playing very well.

Ok Granted I see no overall value to the drafting of a rt at the #4 spot in the draft, and yes at times seems to displacy competency instead of a all around nasty attitude that is coveted in offensive linemen.

However  I don't see how is on field play is a bust?  Case in point  other then the new england game our running game for lack of a better term has been below average, where as when Mike Williams was playing rt, we pretty much seemed to be able to run at will.  So why then cut Mike Williams or label him a bust if he's our best run blocking linemen?  Why not put Mike back at rt?

526757[/snapback]

Bottom Line..... Too fat and LAZY...which is the problem with all his injuries.Dominant in colledge because of size,and maybe had a little work ethic to make big money in the pro`s. Can his Butt. :D

A guy who's playing RT for the first time in his career, and is far from embarrasing "isn't that good?"  What transition happens somewhat often?  Can you tell me the last TE that made this easy transition?  Paul Seymour?

Don't you find at least a hint of coincidence that when the right side of the OL had been healthy, the overall unit has been very strong.

526922[/snapback]

Two that I know that were switched this year, and have already played significant time are Estes from San Fran, and Carswell from Denver. Again, the position of TE varies at colleges where a lot use them as part time blockers and part time receivers other use them as a "wide tackle". These guys tend to wind up being tackles in the NFl. So for Peters to make that switch is great, but in fact because of poor coaching and indecision, his development was delayed. Estes is a rookie this year, Carswell just switched in the off season and has played at tackle and guard for Denver which is one of the best offensive lines in the league. So again with good coaching, Peters who is adequate on a bad oline, probably could be a lot better with a good coach. Also, again, the transition of a blocking TE to tackle does occur quite often and you'll here of 4-5 every year that do it, whether it's stright out of college or even vets like Carswell.

Damn almost forgot about Wahle and Jones from the Jets. And Rogers for the Pathers as well switched this year.

In addition, Gallery and Steinbech where conversions late in their college careers.

You don't think McNally is a good coach?

527176[/snapback]

No because he isn't. He got a lot of local media hype because he is a local Buffalo boy, who got way too much press and credit for Anthony Munoz. He has done nothing since then.

People will point to a bunch of players 8 years back with the Giants that he did well with that were mostly castoffs. But they weren't really castoffs per say but more midtier FA's that signed with the gients and he did well okay with. Dusty Zieglar being one of them. Remember the Bills tried to resign him, so he wasn't a scrub.

He's a bust because he was expected to be an elite player, someone that wanted to excel at his profession, dominate the game, and become a leader on the team.  He was the first lineman taken in the draft.  The guy was expected to be a rock at LT for a decade and a player the team could build around.

What the Bills got was a guy that never played a down at LT, isn't even in the starting line-up, can't beat out a TE at RT, and can't even beat out a complete stiff at LG.

How is he not a bust?

'Cause he threw a couple nice blocks once in a while?  The "blind squirrel" defense is just pathetically flagging when it comes to defending someone like Mike Williams that the Bills had such lofty ambitions about.

527044[/snapback]

couldn't be better stated.

No because he isn't.  He got a lot of local media hype because he is a local Buffalo boy, who got way too much press and credit for Anthony Munoz.  He has done nothing since then. 

People will point to a bunch of players 8 years back with the Giants that he did well with that were mostly castoffs.  But they weren't really castoffs per say but more midtier FA's that signed with the gients and he did well okay with.  Dusty Zieglar being one of them.  Remember the Bills tried to resign him, so he wasn't a scrub.

527197[/snapback]

They were castoffs - 60 yr old Glenn Parker & 90 yr old Lomas Brown weren't exactly at the top on anyone's Christmas list that year. Ziegler played much better w/ NYG than he did here. Also, after the old man line was gone, McNally did more than a serviceable job with their replacements, but got nailed in '03 when 3 of 5 came down with injuries.

The Bills' entire offense fell apart this year, in most part, due to coaches' decision to annoint Losman the starter from day one, and it snowballed from there. They've never been able to establish any flow or continuity, and while it's easy to pinpoint the OL as the main culprit, their job isn't helped when the opponents know exactly what play to defend before the snap.

They were castoffs - 60 yr old Glenn Parker & 90 yr old Lomas Brown weren't exactly at the top on anyone's Christmas list that year.  Ziegler played much better w/ NYG than he did here.  Also, after the old man line was gone, McNally did more than a serviceable job with their replacements, but got nailed in '03 when 3 of 5 came down with injuries.

The Bills' entire offense fell apart this year, in most part, due to coaches' decision to annoint Losman the starter from day one, and it snowballed from there.  They've never been able to establish any flow or continuity, and while it's easy to pinpoint the OL as the main culprit, their job isn't helped when the opponents know exactly what play to defend before the snap.

528234[/snapback]

Oh I see, so Mcnally is faultless? Is this because he is a hometown boy. I say bull sh--. He got IMHO what he asked for just like he did in NY, and now there seems to be plenty of excuses on why he is failing. But failing again he does, just as he did in NY. Sorry but I don't agree or see it. He along with the rest of our coaching staff is failing in every aspect and not teaching or putting our players in a position to win. You say he isn't at fault because of Losman, well last year they sucked and that was with Bledsoe. Again, it starts at the line and with the coaching and the blame ends there. If he felt he didn't have the horses he should have been jumping up and down on Donahoes desk and the media to ensure he got the players. Since he didn't he seems to say he can do it. Well he can't, again.

look at our team when he is in vs when he is not.

he is a HUGE part of our running game.

i say we keep him cheaper than he is now and draft a good LT, and sign hutch and bently.

we'll figure out what to do with peters, he could still be a decent tight end (couple passes here and there, lots of blocking). never hurt pitts to have a massive TE smash people in the mouth, we might as well get them all out there.

I am not a huge MW fan, but I do think that he is worth keeping at the right price. He can be salvaged.

P.S. Those of you who have not lost a parent or grandparent have no idea how it can effect you. I lost my dad 19 years ago and it effects me every day.

Oh I see, so Mcnally is faultless?  Is this because he is a hometown boy.  I say bull sh--.  He got IMHO what he asked for just like he did in NY, and now there seems to be plenty of excuses on why he is failing.  But failing again he does, just as he did in NY.  Sorry but I don't agree or see it.  He along with the rest of our coaching staff is failing in every aspect and not teaching or putting our players in a position to win.  You say he isn't at fault because of Losman, well last year they sucked and that was with Bledsoe.  Again, it starts at the line and with the coaching and the blame ends there.  If he felt he didn't have the horses he should have been jumping up and down on Donahoes desk and the media to ensure he got the players.  Since he didn't he seems to say he can do it.  Well he can't, again.

528246[/snapback]

Defensive, aren't we? Read the post again. Where did I say that McNally is faultless? He's part of the overall mess, but that's far from saying that he sucks because he hasn't been able to transform the latest iteration of the "tubs of goo" into world beaters.

Last year, the line came along rather well in the last half of the year, and the thinking was that they could build off that. Injuries and rookie QB stopped all that talk. Of course you like to blame McNally for not predicting that Williams & Villareal would be injured most of this year, which has had a huge impact on the OL. It's McNally's fault that Anderson hasn't lived up to his FA signing. The only other realistic offseason option was to get Shelton, but contrary to your insistence, he hasn't played that much better than Gandy.