Welcome Back Doug Flutie !

Red Dragon

... and where is Rob now?  Nowhere to be found!

It's pretty pathetic that a highly touted player such as he could no survive in the league and an over the hill player like Flutie is still considered a player worth having.  Jon Gruden gave up on RJ.  Steve Spurrier gave up on him.  Even the Raiders sent him his walking papers.

526718[/snapback]

and how many teams have sent Dougie walking papers let's see the Rams, Bears, Patriots, British Columbia, Calgary, Toronto, Buffalo and San Diego.

I'll end with this point. Doug Flutie was a better QB then Rob Johnson. However had Johnson been allowed to develop (yes a lot had to do with Rob's inability to stay healthy but Wade Phillip's choice to keep Flutie in for 1998 and 1999 are also factors) in the end I feel Rob would have turned out to be a much better QB then Doug. Much like the current situation in that Holcomb is a better QB than Losman right now but not because of talent. Rather because Kelly, like Doug, has far more game experience.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you look up sacks taken per pass attempt?  :P

That would probably rank worst in team history.  Rob Johnson did not know how to throw the ball away in the face of pressure.  As a result, he took sacks rather than throw interceptions.

And the most important stat?  Wins.  Look at their win-loss records.

526701[/snapback]

Did you look up most batted down balls in history by a quarterback? :D Me either but I bet Doug wins!

Most important stat? We haven't been in a playoff game since then!

you just proved dawggs point LOL :D

526737[/snapback]

I know I said I was finished but I have to ask, how many playoff games has Doug been in since he left? Just as many as the Bills though he might break the drought this year because we know how vital he is to the Patriots this year.

Yeah it meant mothing to the Colts who as recall were playing for home field advantage throughout the playoffs and also started Peyton Manning and drove 72 yards on 10 plays for a field goal by Mike Vanderjagt and 3-0 lead on their opening drive which tells me they really didn't want to win. But if you really want to argue gushing facts then if it meant absolutely nothing then tell me how much more was the perfect game Dougie had against Seattle worth for the Seahawks?

526721[/snapback]

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/JohnRo00.htm

i wish i could include his record in big college games, but it isn't available.

Good God not this again??? :D

Come on Folks, ya'll are losing your focus here...We have more current issues in need of arguments, name-calling, etc...

Where has all the "new skool" bashing gone I ask you?..And because of threads like this, I do believe it's been at least 15 minutes since a new Moulds thread has begun...What's up with that?

Focus people...focus!

There are Coaches and GM's to be bashed aplenty! We don't need these stale old conversations...TSW is abuzz with all new controversy! It's the dawning of a new bashing area...Don't be left behind!

K just one...Flutie's still a midget...

Man that felt good... :P

Moron or not, you cannot argue with his record as a Bill. If you were a Bills fan back when he was starting, I guarantee that you rooted for him. The team was a winner when he was the starter, and a loser since he left. He was the first of many poor decisions made by the Bills admistration. I'm not asking you too root against the Bills Sunday, but you should cheer Flutie the way you would any ex-Bill who had accomplishments such as his.

526344[/snapback]

How many starts has he had since leaving Buffalo?

Not an NFL starting QB. Just a quick, change of pace backup.

Oh, yeah. He started for San Diego in 2001, when they went 5 - 11.

How many starts has he had since leaving Buffalo?

Not an NFL starting QB.  Just a quick, change of pace backup.

Oh, yeah.  He started for San Diego in 2001, when they went 5 - 11.

526749[/snapback]

he played well in buffalo while he was here, and when he left he went to a bad team and he was 39 years old. it's a miracle he's still in the league. plus i have this kooky notion that belichick knows more than we do. also note that he didn't go headlong after johnson when he was cut by spurrier/danny snider in 03.

he played well in buffalo while he was here, and when he left he went to a bad team and he was 39 years old. it's a miracle he's still in the league. plus i have this kooky notion that belichick knows more than we do. also note that he didn't go headlong after johnson when he was cut by spurrier/danny snider in 03.

526751[/snapback]

Good points.

You have low standards!

Like I said, Orton has done nothing to "win" games for the Bears... Flutie made numerous plays that won games for the Bills.

This wins my award for post of the week.

526759[/snapback]

You have low standards! 

Like I said, Orton has done nothing to "win" games for the Bears... Flutie made numerous plays that won games for the Bills.

526775[/snapback]

This is my LAST Flutie-related post...until my next one.

Dawgg you are correct, Flutie made some great plays late in games to help the Bills to victory. Don't forget, however, that in many (if not most) of those games, last-minute heroics were necessary due to, in large part, Skin's HORRID performance throughout the game.

This is my LAST Flutie-related post...until my next one.

Dawgg you are correct, Flutie made some great plays late in games to help the Bills to victory.  Don't forget, however, that in many (if not most) of those games, last-minute heroics were necessary due to, in large part, Skin's HORRID performance throughout the game.

526779[/snapback]

None more evident then our win against the Ravens in 1999

Flutie ran for 17 yards on a key fourth-down play, then flipped a 5-yard touchdown pass to Jonathan Linton with 1:35 left Sunday to rally the Bills to a 13-10 victory.

Flutie threw three interceptions in the first three quarters to help Baltimore build a 10-3 lead. But Banks threw an interception and lost a fumble in two straight series, setting the stage for Buffalo (5-3) to snap a two-game skid.

Flutie ran for 17 yards on a key fourth-down play, then flipped a 5-yard touchdown pass to Jonathan Linton with 1:35 left Sunday to rally the Bills to a 13-10 victory.

Flutie threw three interceptions in the first three quarters to help Baltimore build a 10-3 lead. But Banks threw an interception and lost a fumble in two straight series, setting the stage for Buffalo (5-3) to snap a two-game skid.

526780[/snapback]

you are correct, but i really don't think anyone knew at the time how great that ravens defense was. they were dominant by the end of 99, and the best ever (in my opinion) the following year.

He made a play to win the game. Made a play when it mattered. When was the last time you saw that from a Bills QB? I can't even remember.

526780[/snapback]

ZZZ-Z-Z-ZZZZZ-ZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZZ-ZZZZZZ

526889[/snapback]

Crickets...

I agree with this and want to tell anyone touting Flutie for anything, Crickets...Crickets...Crickets...Crickets...Crickets...Crickets...Crickets...Crickets...

Although he was great in the CFL wasn't he? Why yes! But who cares? Not even Canadians care!! Crickets...Crickets...Crickets...Crickets...Crickets...Crickets...Crickets...Crickets...And they care about all the little things in the world!!

More crickets!!!

I don't see how people can still be emotional about the Flutie/Johnson thing anymore. Let it go.

At the time, I was a Johnson supporter because, with everything we were told, he had the "tools" to become the Next Big Thing. I believed it. And he did show flashes of it, with that cannon on his right arm.

Obviously, in hindsight, Flutie was one of the best things to happen to this team. He had a killer instinct, something RJ lacked which was a huge flaw of his (besides being brain-dead and brittle boned), he re-juvenated the town and was able to give the team some confidence that they could pull out a win no matter what.

People saying that Flutie "had a big ego" or was "a cancer" aren't thinking clearly. The best quarterbacks in the NFL have big egos. Jim Kelly had one of the biggest egos ever.

If your QB doesn't have an inflated self-worth, then they shouldn't be your QB.