Welcome Back Doug Flutie !

Red Dragon

If Flutie has a winning record as a starter in the NFL, I may be wrong.   Remembering back at how effective he was as the Bills starter, I think other teams kept him from breaking the pocket to shut our O down.

526378[/snapback]

Want some stats?

He has compiled a NFL starting record of 38-28 (.576)

In 1999 he set the Bills' team record for rushing yards by quarterback and led all NFL quarterbacks with 476 rushing yards.

He was the fifth quarterback in pro history to surpass the 50,000 yards barrier.

In 1998, as a Bill, he was named NFL Comeback Player of Year honors from Associated Press and Pro Football Weekly.

Took over the starting quarterback job five games into season and led Bills to 7-3 mark in 10 regular-season starts, including a 5-1 mark at home.

Posted the third and fourth highest single-game passing percentages in team history (.821) at Indianapolis Oct. 11, 1998, and (.818) at Carolina Oct. 25, 1998.

Threw only 11 interceptions in 354 attempts (.0311), the lowest career mark in team history (min. 250 attempts).

Earned team's Player of Week honors five times in '98.

He once threw 140 consecutive passes without an nterception, the third longest streak Bills history.

Even in a losing effort, he completed 21 of 36 passes for 360 yards in a Wild Card playoff loss in early 1999.

In '98, he threw for 20 TDs vs. 11 Ints.

In '99, he threw for 3,171 yards and ran for four TDs.

How ineffective is that?

Oops, I forgot to add earlier that he played in 11 games in 2000 with five starts and posted a record of 4-1 as starter. That gives him a 22-9 record as a Bill.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BackInDaDay
I guess he wasn't that easy to gameplan while he was in Buffalo...

526394[/snapback]

OK, Flakes, I'm about to cry Uncle, but one more question - Was he effective in his starts? Did our O score points in those Ws?

Guest BackInDaDay
Want some stats?

He has compiled a NFL starting record of 38-28 (.576)

In 1999 he set the Bills' team record for rushing yards by quarterback and led all NFL quarterbacks with 476 rushing yards.

He was the fifth quarterback in pro history to surpass the 50,000 yards barrier.

In 1998, as a Bill, he was named NFL Comeback Player of Year honors from Associated Press and Pro Football Weekly.

Took over the starting quarterback job five games into season and led Bills to 7-3 mark in 10 regular-season starts, including a 5-1 mark at home.

Posted the third and fourth highest single-game passing percentages in team history (.821) at Indianapolis Oct. 11, 1998, and (.818) at Carolina Oct. 25, 1998.

Threw only 11 interceptions in 354 attempts (.0311), the lowest career mark in team history (min. 250 attempts).

Earned team's Player of Week honors five times in '98.

He once threw 140 consecutive passes without an nterception, the third longest streak Bills history.

Even in a losing effort, he completed 21 of 36 passes for 360 yards in a Wild Card playoff loss in early 1999.

In '98, he threw for 20 TDs vs. 11 Ints.

In '99, he threw for 3,171 yards and ran for four TDs.

How ineffective is that?

Oops, I forgot to add earlier that he played in 11 games in 2000 with five starts and posted a record of 4-1 as starter. That gives him a 22-9 record as a Bill.

526407[/snapback]

Whoa... Enuf!!! I've been beat down. <_<

Nice work fellas... the crows very tasty this afternoon! :angry:

OK, Flakes, I'm about to cry Uncle, but one more question - Was he effective in his starts?  Did our O score points in those Ws?

526414[/snapback]

See my two posts in this thread Clearly, the team scored plenty.

In 1998, the Bills' passing game ranked seventh in the NFL in TDs and 12th in yards. The Flutie-led offense had games in which they scored 26, 31, 30, 30, 34, 33, 44, and 45 points.

In 1999, the team ranked 15th in passing scores.

If I was at the game, Id boo the hell out of Doug for nothing else than what his attitide and antics did to the Bills.

And my conscience is clear on this because I loathe and boo Al Leiter and John Franco for what their destructive attitude did to my baseball team, the Mets, before they left. And unlike Flutie, those two WON something with the Mets, the '00 Pennant.

BackInDaDay, All I'm saying is cut the guy some slack. The Bills were much more enjoyable when he was at the helm than what we've had to endure the past six years. I pray for the day that I can forget about flutie and we play in a stinkin playoff game! That day I'll change my board name.

Guest BackInDaDay
BackInDaDay,  All I'm saying is cut the guy some slack.  The Bills were much more enjoyable when he was at the helm than what we've had to endure the past six years.  I pray for the day that I can forget about flutie and we play in a stinkin playoff game!  That day I'll change my board name.

526429[/snapback]

No problem Flakes. You and Scribo did a great job at proving Dougie was an effective starter for the Bills. As weak as it may be, my only defense is that I remember watching a Jets/Bills game while on vacation ( Vinny Testevarde's dad was there ) where the Jets did what I was saying, and Doug couldn't get anything done. That was a very good Jets team, though.

Anyway, it's all good.

BackInDaDay,  All I'm saying is cut the guy some slack.  The Bills were much more enjoyable when he was at the helm than what we've had to endure the past six years.  I pray for the day that I can forget about flutie and we play in a stinkin playoff game!  That day I'll change my board name.

526429[/snapback]

Good point. We really aren't in much of a condition to be griping about a guy who won most of the games he played for us. I'd put up with a lot to have such a guy here now. Maybe JP will be someday.

Perhaps that attitude was because he has been underestimated throughout his career, so much so he had to play in the CFL? Underestimated by fans like... you <_<

If I was at the game, Id boo the hell out of Doug for nothing else than what his attitide and antics did to the Bills

526428[/snapback]

well, after reading 3 replies and skipping over to the reply button, i can see that whomever the regular was who registered as red dragon a couple months ago has just reeled in 2 pages of fish.

526423[/snapback]

mmm.... bacon...

Perhaps that attitude was because he has been underestimated throughout his career, so much so he had to play in the CFL?  Underestimated by fans like... you <_<

526439[/snapback]

Once again, excatly! I'd have a piss poor attitude as well if I was giving it my all, winning games, making big plays when it mattered, only to be rewarded by a coach who cannot make up his mind and continual calls from the fan base to bench me for some loser (RJ).

I can't wait for this Sunday, when the Pats are eventually beating the Bills by a wide enough margin, and Flutie is inserted into the game. He will be a reminder of the last good teams Buffalo had, when they were competitive in each game, and actually made the playoffs. Say what you like about his shortcomings (no pun intended), but after he left, it has all gone downhill for this team. If only Flutie had been chosen over Rob Johnson, the disastrous personnel decisions made after his departure would not have happened.

526319[/snapback]

Dragon,

I normally prescribe to the observations and visions you boldly share with us - but on this subject I could not disagree further. From the mullet hair-cut to the tasteless Flutie Flakes, that man was nothing but a blight upon the once beautiful face we called WNY.

Watching him play on Sundays was akin to watch the hurdy gurdy man's monkey rally for change in the park - comical and somewhat amusing, but an insult to musicians and zoo keepers alike. Flutie was about entertainment for the masses, be it playing the drums in Thursday in the square, or flashing that commercial smile to passers by at the Mall, he was an enigma that prganization needed to unload.

I know winning comes with a price, (one I would gladly underwrite at this time), however, I never felt his act was the driving force behind the wins. I think it took courage for the team to unload him when it did. Unfortunately, courage like that has not been seen at Once Bills drive since they made the bold move.

I'll cheer for floutie when he's playing the skins at the tralf, but I think i'll reserve the same at the Ralph - that's reserved for true heros of the red white and blue like Sam Aiken or Coy Wire.

Again, please don;t takje this email as disrespectful, merely a disagreeance on the subject matter.

If I was at the game, Id boo the hell out of Doug for nothing else than what his attitide and antics did to the Bills.

And my conscience is clear on this because I loathe and boo Al Leiter and John Franco for what their destructive attitude did to my baseball team, the Mets, before they left. And unlike Flutie, those two WON something with the Mets, the '00 Pennant.

526428[/snapback]

Suppose you were among the pro-RJ group. How did that turn out? Maybe I should find some of his stats and post them.

Note: Rob Johnson averages the most sacks per dropbacks in the history of the NFL.