After reading Ralph's comments

RVJ

"I want to win this year. I don't want to wait until 2011," the Bills founder said.

I took that comment, the comment about losing fan support, and the direct silence towards TD as a vote of no confidence. Who knows though... TD isn't dumb, ralph isn't dumb, us fans aren't dumb. Everyone knows that the GM position is up in the air... I'm all for TD staying as the head businessman for the bills, however (and all parties listed above probably agree), a real GM, who's only job is to evaluate talent is sorely needed.

"They fought hard," Wilson said. "With the material we have and taking everything into consideration, the team played really hard (Sunday). I'm proud of them."

One shouldn't be proud of a 4-7 team.

It will be interesting how he views his GM & Coach after the Jets game Jan.1st.

Exactly.....The key phrase is "material we have".........Who is responsible for the matewrial we have? FOr all those looking to see TD become the Business side leader of this team and looking for the Bills to bring in a talent guy, forget it. TD's ego will not allow that to happen.

"They fought hard," Wilson said. "With the material we have and taking everything into consideration, the team played really hard (Sunday). I'm proud of them."

516200[/snapback]

The reporter edited Ralph's full comments, this is what he said in it's entirety:

"They fought hard," Wilson said. "With the material we have and taking everything into consideration, the team played really hard (Sunday). I'm proud of them. The way Kelly was throwing the ball to Dubenion, you just know this team is going to turn around. Cookie had a tough day running the ball that's true, but I know he'll pick it up. Coach Saban will keep fighting and our boys will soon be winning I'm sure of it. Now where are my pants? I sent them to be cleaned after I spilled some pudding on them and haven't seen them since and it's a bit cold and drafty today."

"With the material we have and taking everything into consideration, the team played really hard (Sunday). I'm proud of them."

...with the material we have...?

You mean, the material that this admin has had 5 years to assemble?

Now, doesn't the next quote sound like an aping of what he's hearing from the coaches?

"Wilson said. "He's upset like we all are. We can't seem to finish off games that are close. But with all the changes in the offensive line ... well, it's hard to jell."

So whose fault is it that the best 5 linemen were not established back at camp? Whose fault is it that Benny Anderson was brought in and they twice have experimented with putting a guy in his spot who has never played guard?

I think that Ralph, in his old age, is easy to sway. You just tell him what you want him to think and he repeats it, like old folks often do.

Ralph 10 years ago would be properly pissed off.

I don't care if 4-7 and another lost season is due to a failure on the personnel staff, the coaches, the players, or a combination of all 3. They're not getting the job done, and feeding Ralph these cliches about the OLine pisses me off.

The attitude out of OBD is "Oh well...maybe next year..." This is the culture that this staff has created.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/p...347/1007/SPORTS

OK now breath.

It is however a sad state of affairs. Losing is losing, but hearing that the owner is OK with it, because he's proud of how hard they have worked is well, BS.

We can be proud of our kids when they compete and lose, they give it their best we will always be proud....of our kids. But our pro football team.....Now that is a different matter.

I agree!!

The fact that he said very little about TD and singled out MM for support tells me he's not happy about things from a GM perspective. Supposedly from what I've heard in the past. Leo Roth has an inside track to Ralph, I guess for some reason Ralph likes Leo and talks with him "off the record" Since there was only a passing reference to TD, maybe this interview was done on the understanding of " No TD questions" as he didn't want to have to answer them.

Regarding the quote ....."with the material we have"..... tells me Ralph feels the Bills don't have as much talent as other teams. Well he knows who signed the players on the roster, so again that comment to me is a shot at TD for not signing better talent.

I have no problem with TD being moved to position of President in charge of business decisions, provided we don't make Modrek the GM as he's likely the guy making many of the recommedndations to TD as to who to sign or not sign. Bring in someone from the outside. As mentioned, if TD's supposed ego won't allow it, then he's totally done. If it's true that he's only signed through 06, dumping him now would mean Ralph would only have to eat one year of salary for him which isn't too bad. Likely if you dump TD and bring in a new GM, you're also dumping the coaching staff too. Are some of coaches contracts up this year? They often aren't signed as long long term as the head coach. Again may not cost him too much $$ to dump TD and the rest of coaches. Plus new staff may retain some of coaches, and/or they get new jobs which lets Ralph of the hook for remaining $$ If you dump TD, you're likely looking at eating one year of TD's salary, plus maybe 70% of MM as he likely would have to settle for a coordinators job at a lower salary. Therefore Ralph would have to pay the difference.

In the grand scheme of things, how many empty seats would pay for that amount of eating lost salaries? Probably less than 10000 empty seats per game, over the course of the season would take about $2.5 mil away from Ralphs share of the home team receipts?? Thats assuming each seat costs $40 on average which is likely a low number when you figure in food spent and concessions, plus parking. ($40 X 10000 seats X 10 games X 60% home team share) $2.5 mil would probably pay for most of the salaries. I think if TD comes back another year, the Bills will be hard pressed to sell as many tickets as lat year, as people are at he point of saying: "I've had enough!!"

I took that comment, the comment about losing fan support, and the direct silence towards TD as a vote of no confidence.  Who knows though...  TD isn't dumb, ralph isn't dumb, us fans aren't dumb.  Everyone knows that the GM position is up in the air...  I'm all for TD staying as the head businessman for the bills, however (and all parties listed above probably agree), a real GM, who's only job is to evaluate talent is sorely needed.

516199[/snapback]

Funny, I didn't really take it that way.

I took it as, he understands we don't have the guys we need right now to win, and we might reasonably expect he intends for the team to do something about it.

I understand, nobody wants to hear the owner say we're happy with losing, but he has to be happy that Losman is getting better.

You think Wellington Mara was happy about his team's performance last year? I'd wager not. However, I'm sure that before he passed he was happy seeing that his team was being led in the right direction, Manning having had a year of experience under his belt.

I'm sure TD will be evaluated by Ralph after this season just like anybody. Ralph didn't indicate in that article that he was happy or angry with TD's performance, and hinting that we don't have the personnel ("material") might be a bit of a shot or ultimatum for TD. I hope it is.

516200[/snapback]

Ralph always respects his players, even when they have a losing record. The comment about "the material we have" is very interesting, however...

In Wilson's eyes, getting playing time for Losman and playing respectable football, so the club doesn't turn off more of its fan base heading into another important off-season, should be attainable goals for the final five games.

My concern is, Who is in charge of this important off-season? The same guy who was in charge of the last 5 important off-seasons?

Please give us a chance and get us a football guy, not a seller of jerseys and mini helmets. If TD is retained as president, he would do fine at selling shirts, tickets and hats, but as others have mentioned, his ego is such, that he would impede any real football guy from signing prospects or developing the club in any fashion other than what TD thinks is appropriate.

I kinda like Mularkey, but I understand that with a new regime, usually a coaching change is warranted, I still think he has some decent qualities, but it would be difficult for a new GM to come in and be forced to keep him, maybe he can help Tom set up the interactive displays for T-shirts sales and Billy Buffalo appearences.

Funny, I didn't really take it that way.

I took it as, he understands we don't have the guys we need right now to win, and we might reasonably expect he intends for the team to do something about it.

I understand, nobody wants to hear the owner say we're happy with losing, but he has to be happy that Losman is getting better.

You think Wellington Mara was happy about his team's performance last year?  I'd wager not.  However, I'm sure that before he passed he was happy seeing that his team was being led in the right direction, Manning having had a year of experience under his belt.

I'm sure TD will be evaluated by Ralph after this season just like anybody.  Ralph didn't indicate in that article that he was happy or angry with TD's performance, and hinting that we don't have the personnel ("material") might be a bit of a shot or ultimatum for TD.  I hope it is.

516296[/snapback]

Agreed. I actually think Ralph's silence re: TD speaks volumes. I remember thinking there was no way that Ralph was gonna fire Wade Phillips, but he surprised me with his awareness and willingness to swing the axe. And, I think you're right that the comment about "materials" is a jab at Donahoe. In fact, let me be the first to predict it:

DONAHOE WILL BE FIRED.

I'm really starting to believe it. In the past, Ralph has stood up and supported his president - not anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if Ralph has been talking inquiring around the league about possible replacements. I think it will all happen rather quickly after the season is over - TD will be fired or resign, and Modrak and Rick Spielman will be two of the finalists.

I took that comment, the comment about losing fan support, and the direct silence towards TD as a vote of no confidence.  Who knows though...  TD isn't dumb, ralph isn't dumb, us fans aren't dumb.  Everyone knows that the GM position is up in the air...  I'm all for TD staying as the head businessman for the bills, however (and all parties listed above probably agree), a real GM, who's only job is to evaluate talent is sorely needed.

516199[/snapback]

See, I read the "don't want to wait until 2011" comment to mean a quite different assessment of the situation. To me the comment meant that he didn't want to gut the team all over again with a new regime because it would take too long to rebuild under that new regime. And as far as the silence goes, when has Ralph ever freely talked about post-season changes, especially when Ralph sees us as "still in the playoff picture?"

Ralph 10 years ago would be properly pissed off.

516283[/snapback]

Ummm, Ralph 2 years ago was pissed off...remember his comments after the Jets loss? I linked to them in the other Ralphie thread...For some reason, apparently he didn't see the Carolina performance as heartless and gutless like he saw the Jets game in 2003...I guess he must have gone blind in the last two years... :doh:

Agreed.  I actually think Ralph's silence re: TD speaks volumes.  I remember thinking there was no way that Ralph was gonna fire Wade Phillips, but he surprised me with his awareness and willingness to swing the axe.  And, I think you're right that the comment about "materials" is a jab at Donahoe.  In fact, let me be the first to predict it:

DONAHOE WILL BE FIRED.

I'm really starting to believe it.  In the past, Ralph has stood up and supported his president - not anymore.  I wouldn't be surprised if Ralph has been talking inquiring around the league about possible replacements.  I think it will all happen rather quickly after the season is over - TD will be fired or resign, and Modrak and Rick Spielman will be two of the finalists.

516310[/snapback]

to add fuel to the fire, check out the comment below from SI's don banks in his latest column. In my opinion, he's the best national writer out there (alongside dr. z), and certainly one of the most informed. He's very trustworthy.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...off.odds/2.html

"2. Buffalo -- Speaking of general managers who should be or are feeling the pressure, the Bills' underachievement this season has rightfully left Tom Donahoe in a very precarious position as he ends his fifth playoff-less season at the helm in Buffalo."

Agreed.  I actually think Ralph's silence re: TD speaks volumes.  I remember thinking there was no way that Ralph was gonna fire Wade Phillips, but he surprised me with his awareness and willingness to swing the axe.  And, I think you're right that the comment about "materials" is a jab at Donahoe.  In fact, let me be the first to predict it:

DONAHOE WILL BE FIRED.

I'm really starting to believe it.  In the past, Ralph has stood up and supported his president - not anymore.  I wouldn't be surprised if Ralph has been talking inquiring around the league about possible replacements.  I think it will all happen rather quickly after the season is over - TD will be fired or resign, and Modrak and Rick Spielman will be two of the finalists.

516310[/snapback]

I don't need him to be fired. He's a good Team President and should remain so. The Bills simply need to take the GM title away and give it to someone else who can work without interference. I'd even accept Modrak becoming the GM for the time being, though we would all be suspicious of TD calling the shots behind the scenes so that might not work for long...

TD will be fired or resign, and Modrak and Rick Spielman will be two of the finalists.

516310[/snapback]

Rick Spielman...please....the guy gave a 2nd round pick to get Foley from

the Eagles...Gave a 3rd rounder to St. Louis to get a guy who couldn;t

even make the team..Too many risky decisions that did not pan out...

If you are going to fire TD, please get someone better than him....not some

one whose credentials are way below TD.....That is not a upgrade....It is

a downgrade...

DONAHOE WILL BE FIRED.

516310[/snapback]

Not in this age of 'saving face'. Ralph is a classy person and only acts abruptly when he is severely pissed off (Polian...Butler). I think Donahoe will be gone at the end of the year, but the way this will happen is that TD will be 'leaving the organization' to spend more time with his family in Pittsburgh a nd pursue some other activities of personal interest. He will never be 'Fired'.

My concern is, Who is in charge of this important off-season? The same guy who was in charge of the last 5 important off-seasons?

Please give us a chance and get us a football guy, not a seller of jerseys and mini helmets. If TD is retained as president, he would do fine at selling shirts, tickets and hats, but as others have mentioned, his ego is such, that he would impede any real football guy from signing prospects or developing the club in any fashion other than what TD thinks is appropriate.

I kinda like Mularkey, but I understand that with a new regime, usually a coaching change is warranted, I still think he has some decent qualities, but it would be difficult for a new GM to come in and be forced to keep him, maybe he can help Tom set up the interactive displays for T-shirts sales and Billy Buffalo appearences.

516304[/snapback]

You're so wise. You're like a miniature Buddha, covered with hair.