Who are some possible future gm's for the bills?

I think I can make a case for Theo Epstein! Throw Tom Donahoe into the ivory tower (strickly President of football operations) and bring on a young, vibrant, and talented guy who has held one of the tougher positions in ALL sports! If you are wondering about the crossover from baseball to football, Jim Finks worked both sides of the street in the late 70's and early 80's and had pretty good success too! Your top executive should be someone who possesses a vison for the future and I'm sure that Theo would fit the bill.... No pun intended!

I think I can make a case for Theo Epstein! Throw Tom Donahoe into the ivory tower (strickly President of football operations) and bring on a young, vibrant, and talented guy who has held one of the tougher positions in ALL sports! If you are wondering about the crossover from baseball to football, Jim Finks worked both sides of the street in the late 70's and early 80's and had pretty good success too! Your top executive should be someone who possesses a vison for the future and I'm sure that Theo would fit the bill.... No pun intended!

509439[/snapback]

Theo became a good GM by years and years of studying BASEBALL talent. So unless hes planning on taking 5-10 years to study football talent, that would be a waste, kind of like posts like yours.

You mean to tell me Ramius that a talent evaluator can't identify a "player" whether it's football, baseball, or basketball? I can....I'm therefore fairly SURE Epstein COULD administer the Buffalo Bills along with the other staff members who may or may NOT, in your opinion, know something about football ( scouts, for example!). Oh, and by the way, Jim Finks won at every stop! Minnesota, Chicago and New Orleans in the NFL from 64 thru the late 80's and 2 years with the Chicago Cubs in 83 and 84! The Cubs, for your edification, went to the NLCS in 84. Pretty nice resume'!!!

One rumor is Dwight Adams coming back into the fold. I heard that from the Bulldog and Van Miller

509567[/snapback]

Hmmm, that would be interesting. But, weren't Ralph and Dwight Adams pretty bitter toward eachother when Adams left? It seems to me, if Ralph still can't bury the hatchet with Lou Saban or Chuck Knox, it would be hard to envision this. For what it is worth, I think TD and MM are back next season.

Otherwise...seriously I dont think Ralph is going to boot TD and if he does, I have a feeling the promotion will come from within the organization

510088[/snapback]

I hope you're wrong. If the Bills go 5-11, or even 4-12, there is a good chance TD will get the boot. So let's hope for lots of losses, instead of a mirage like last season's late rally. That way we can get a good GM, as well as a nice high draft choice.

Hmmm, that would be interesting.  But, weren't Ralph and Dwight Adams pretty bitter toward eachother when Adams left?  It seems to me, if Ralph still can't bury the hatchet with Lou Saban or Chuck Knox, it would be hard to envision this. For what it is worth, I think TD and MM are back next season.

509664[/snapback]

first, donohoe isn't going anywhere. re adams, you're confusing him with aj smith, who indeed had a bitter breakup with ralph. dwight stayed loyal to ralph. his problem is that closing in on 70 years old. he's got about as much chance as marv returning as head coach.

You mean to tell me Ramius that a talent evaluator can't identify a "player" whether it's football, baseball, or basketball? I can....I'm therefore fairly SURE Epstein COULD administer the Buffalo Bills along with the other staff members who may or may NOT, in your opinion, know something about football ( scouts, for example!). Oh, and by the way, Jim Finks won at every stop! Minnesota, Chicago and New Orleans in the NFL from 64 thru the late 80's and 2 years with the Chicago Cubs in 83 and 84! The Cubs, for your edification, went to the NLCS in 84. Pretty nice resume'!!!

509484[/snapback]

Theo also had a blank check book...not really Ralph's MO.

509439[/snapback]

you intended to pun, don't lie

Theo became a good GM by years and years of studying BASEBALL talent. So unless hes planning on taking 5-10 years to study football talent, that would be a waste, kind of like posts like yours.

509445[/snapback]

i think you're a waste of space.

I'm therefore fairly SURE Epstein COULD administer the Buffalo Bills along with the other staff members who may or may NOT, in your opinion, know something about football

509484[/snapback]

Steve Spurrier couldn't even make the transition from college football to pro football. How is this Epstein guy supposed to make the transition from baseball to football? Take a player like Drew Bledsoe. He's successful in a certain type of scheme, as is being seen in Dallas. But he's mediocre at best in other types of schemes, as seen in Buffalo and with Charlie Weis. A football man would have a better chance of not putting a square peg like Bledsoe into a round hole like the Bill Walsh offense. There are lots of other examples where you need a particular type of player to fit a given system. Denver needs smaller, faster offensive linemen for its blocking scheme. Pittsburgh needs bigger, stronger DEs and OLBs for its 3-4 defense. Jerry Gray needs a SS that's more like a LB for his kind of defense.

Do you really expect a baseball guy to learn about these subtleties well enough to put together a cohesive football team? Baseball is more of a plug-and-play sport. A guy who puts up good hitting stats for one team can be a good hitter for any team. The same is true of pitching, or other defensive play. Building a good football team is a more complicated task.