Article on the frontpage regarding Wilson

ganesh

How would Billick or Fassel not be an upgrade? One has won a title and the other has experienced great success as a head coach.  Mularkey is a bum, I'd rather have either one of them anyday.  You got to be stupid not to see that.

498565[/snapback]

Well, I don't know it has anything to do with stupidity.

Coaching success (or lack of) is tied to ownership and front-office management in many cases. Not all, of course.

Fassel did a good job with Cincy, but as owner Mike Brown proceeded to get more and more involved in the team his late father founded, Fassel saw the handwriting on the wall.

Billick is good - but it's been a long time since they had a credible offense. I don't know the number of qb's BAL has had during his tenure, but it's a bunch.

Few fans are jumping for joy about MM, but after the GW/KB experience, he's a plus, even if only a marginal one.

Guest BackInDaDay
For the record I think Moo is a good coach who is only going to get better.

498681[/snapback]

No argument here. I like him. I like his assistants ( I wrote 'I like his staff' but I caught that in time :huh: ).

I don't like the conditions that TD ( via RW ) makes him work under.

I still don't believe pulling Losman was his call.

I do believe that between Mularkey, Clements and Wyche this kid would have greatly improved by year's end.

I think Mularkey was willing to bet his young career on that.

I think the fans would accept a 5-11 or 6-10 season, if need be, as long as it ended knowing we had a good QB for the next 6-10 years. The entire Bills mindset from Bledsoe's release to our 4th game was to accomplish this.

Wilson wants the revenue generated by a home playoff game more than he wants questions about the team's future answered. A division title brings that.

Mularkey's got his orders.

No argument here. I like him.  I like his assistants ( I wrote 'I like his staff' but I caught that in time :huh: ).

I don't like the conditions that TD ( via RW ) makes him work under.

I still don't believe pulling Losman was his call. 

I do believe that between Mularkey, Clements and Wyche this kid would have greatly improved by year's end. 

I think Mularkey was willing to bet his young career on that.

I think the fans would accept a 5-11 or 6-10 season, if need be, as long as it ended knowing we had a good QB for the next 6-10 years.  The entire Bills mindset from Bledsoe's release to our 4th game was to accomplish this. 

Wilson wants the revenue generated by a home playoff game more than he wants questions about the team's future answered.  A division title brings that. 

Mularkey's got his orders.

498702[/snapback]

Just curious....who do you think made the call to dump Drew?

Btw, I think MM will be a fine coach for many years.

OK, Fassel and Billek have at least done something, though their success rate was brief. But what has Scot Piloi done? Yes, he's the personal man for the the Super Bowl champs, but how does anyone know that all their success isn't due to Bill B? It's just like teams who hire coordinators of Super Bowl teams somehow think that will make them a great head vcoach too. Maybe, or maybe not!

TD had a good record in Pitt too, comparable with Wolf, other than Wolf I believe was still the GM in Green Bay when they won the Super Bowl. So I don't see where dumping TD for either of them two as GM is any kind of guarentee that we'll be in better shape.

Guest BackInDaDay
Just curious....who do you think made the call to dump Drew?

498707[/snapback]

Wilson and Donahoe.

How many of us had a problem with it after Bledsoe's poor performance in the Pittsburgh game? Finacially, the business end meshed with the football end and made that an easy move. No playoffs - no need for your big contract!

Watch out Big Mike.

Ralph can be cheap. Gregg Williams makes more as a Defensive Coordinator in Washington than he made as the Head Coach in Buffalo. With TD in charge, he really doesnt want a strong minded coach (See Pittsburgh with Cowher). As someone said before, some of these coaches they have interviewed may not want to come to Buffalo.

The authors suggestion of Billick or Fassel is absurd. Brian Billick was suppose to be an offensive genius and a groomer of QBs. He has done neither of those things in Baltimore. Kyle Boller has been horrible. Fassel is the OC in Baltimore this year and their offense is not impressive at all.

I dont think the author is saying those two are on the level of Gibbs or Parcells but would like to have a salary in the ball park of those coaches. Right now, all the Bills past coaches have had some of the lowest salaries in the league. Ralphie is cheap.

I think the problem is at all levels ... the owner, GM, coaching staff, and players. The owner wont change unless he sells it or dies. The GM wont change unless the owner tells him to go etc. There is a pecking order.

The article stunk and was full of cheap shots.

Anyone else coming up with the fact that the problem is not 1st time head coaches, but that TD chose the wrong one? He interviews John Fox, Marvin Lewis, Gregg Williams, Charlie Weis, Mike Mularkey, and Romeo Crennel. We end up with Greggo (bust) and Mularkey (too soon to tell). Every other guy TD interviewed is a damn fine head coach. The list is right, its just the final choice that was either wrong, or not sure yet.

The article stunk and was full of cheap shots.

Anyone else coming up with the fact that the problem is not 1st time head coaches, but that TD chose the wrong one?  He interviews John Fox, Marvin Lewis, Gregg Williams, Charlie Weis, Mike Mularkey, and Romeo Crennel.  We end up with Greggo (bust) and Mularkey (too soon to tell).  Every other guy TD interviewed is a damn fine head coach.  The list is right, its just the final choice that was either wrong, or not sure yet.

498860[/snapback]

Too early to tell for MM , but can already proclaim Weis and Crennel as good NFL HCs ?? :huh:

I'm willing to say that Weis would be a HUGE success wherever he coached. You see it now with ND, and with NE coming back to the pack.

Crennel, too soon, I agree. But I didn't think Cleveland would win 2 games this year and he's got that team fired up and playing well enough, given their dearth of talent.

498707[/snapback]

What do you base this on? His handling of Losman is anything but rational, IMO.

That move of bringing JP into the NE slaughter game last season when he had indicated that the 2nd stringer was going in was bush beyond belief. He may appear to have a plan but I can't see anything that can't be attributed to random swings of mood up to now.

Too early to tell for MM , but can already proclaim Weis and Crennel as good NFL HCs ??  :huh:

498915[/snapback]

I think Romeo is doing a decent job in Cleveland...but you're point is well taken. Neither of them is a proven NFL head coach.

BTW, I'd take MM over Jim Fassel any day of the week...and Billick, apparently, has NO clue of what offense is or what a QB does.

Note to self.... First time head coaches who end their 1st year of coaching with a winning record are bums and must be replaced by a "name" who has been involved in a superbowl game. By being involved in a superbowl game, this makes them smarter than other coaches. Therefore, in conclusion, only existing coaches who have already attended a superbowl should be considered as head coaches by any team.   :huh:

498590[/snapback]

Regarding Mularkey....How bout these numbers, what kind of reputation does this kind of record get you?

24 Games of Data

Overall

Vs. teams under .500 (8-3)

Vs. teams at .500 (2-1)

Vs. teams over .500 (2-8) Best win vs. 10-6 NY Jets (home)

On the road......

Vs. teams under .500 (2-3) Worst Loss vs. 5-11 Oakland

Vs. teams at .500 (1-1)

Vs. teams over .500 (1-4) Best win vs. 9-7 Seattle

At home.....

Vs. teams under .500 (6-0) N/A

Vs. teams at .500 (1-0)

Vs. teams over .500 (1-4) Best win vs. 10-6 NY Jets

Regarding Mularkey....How bout these numbers, what kind of reputation does this kind of record get you?

24 Games of Data

Overall

Vs. teams under .500 (8-3)

Vs. teams at .500 (2-1)

Vs. teams over .500 (2-8) Best win vs. 10-6 NY Jets (home)

On the road......

Vs. teams under .500 (2-3) Worst Loss vs. 5-11 Oakland

Vs. teams at .500 (1-1)

Vs. teams over .500 (1-4) Best win vs. 9-7 Seattle

At home.....

Vs. teams under .500 (6-0) N/A

Vs. teams at .500 (1-0)

Vs. teams over .500 (1-4) Best win vs. 10-6 NY Jets

499006[/snapback]

What is says to me is: He's a first time/first year (and part of second year) coach of a crappy team and his team is winning almost all the games they should win, but few of the games they shouldn't. B-/C+

What is says to me is:  He's a first time/first year (and part of second year) coach of a crappy team  and his team is winning almost all the games they should win, but few of the games they shouldn't.  B-/C+

499013[/snapback]

OK, I agree to an extent. So, if I add numbers from the three previous years, it gets even worse than this. So, what does that tell us about the GM after 5 years?

OK, I agree to an extent.  So, if I add numbers from the three previous years, it gets even worse than this.  So, what does that tell us about the GM after 5 years?

499018[/snapback]

He's a GM in a small market with a cheap-ish owner who was saddled by terrible decisions and horrible cap problems from the previous regime. He made a terrible choice with his first head coach and replaced that HC with another rookie HC. His draft picks and FA moves (including UDFAs) have, for the most part, been pretty impressive...but the team remains poor. Grade C-

He gets another year to show that things are turning around.

He gets another year to show that things are turning around.

499032[/snapback]

It will be merely one more season if he refuses to recognize his miscalculations as to the importance of the first 3 players in the DT rotation. There's always holes to fill on a bottom 25 team but not a single thing would have gone further to have put us in first place today than had we addressed our lack of a 2nd starting quality DT in the offseason.

Billick or Fassel would be a huge upgrade for this dismal crew we have.  Why have the Bills taken all year to realize that Peters is an upgrade at Tackle and Williams is better suited for guard?  Hubris - TD took a tackle at 4 over all and that's what we got...until the noose tightened a little that is.

Look - while TD is in the wheel house, there is no fear we would get a Billick or Fassel - they're not cut from the puppet cloth our TD loves his coaches to come fron...Maybe he'll approach Hoffner fgor next year...he was too weak to challenge the SUNY establishment on what he needed...would fit great on one bills drive...

498552[/snapback]

gee, I don't know- maybe the fact that he hasn't played tackle before factored in.

Are you a Mike Schopp clone, you are spouting WGR garbage