Pat Williams' dad had a stroke, in coma

Fezmid

Being serious here: Calling what Tedy Bruschi (We're not worthy!) had "a stroke" makes a mockery of people who have real strokes and are incompacitated. You don't have a stroke, then decide you are going to play football again. <_<

Edit: I did not add the "We're not worthy" tag. Must be something automatic SDS put in.

PTR

aside from the very sad news about the father of a great and likeable former bills player, there's this. i read elsewhere (from dr. z) that williams absolutely dominated olin kreutz last week. but he's over 30 and a drag on the salary cap!!

http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/5707611.html

While Williams looks to his family for comfort, it's his family that marvels at what he has been able to accomplish on the two Sundays since Mayfield fell ill. In that time, Pat Williams has 12 tackles, two quarterback hurries, a pass broken up and has made life miserable for opponents. Williams, 33, actually has been doing that for the past three games since the Vikings switched to a 3-4 defense.

"My family doesn't know how I do it," Williams said. "Concentrate going back and forth and then playing good on Sundays, too. . . . [but I get] all the pressure out, my anger and everything. I leave it on the field."

Williams easily has been the best of the five major offseason acquisitions the Vikings made on defense. Signed to a three-year, $13 million deal after eight seasons in Buffalo, he is second on the team with 40 tackles and also has a sack and six quarterback hurries.

"I can't picture too many nose tackles playing better than he is right now," defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell said.

Neither can Williams.

"I think I'm the best nose tackle in the league because I can run," said Williams, dubbed "track legs" by some teammates because of the athletic build of his lower body. "There isn't any nose tackle playing like me because nose and three-techniques are different. Everybody can't play nose. I watch film all the time of guys who are at nose and are getting blown out of there."

Williams dismisses suggestions the switch to the 3-4 is why he's playing so well and said the key to his success is that he simply doesn't respect any centers no matter what their credentials. "I figure I'll destroy every guy that gets in front of me," he said.

Williams did exactly that for most of his Oct. 16 matchup against four-time Pro Bowl center Olin Kreutz of Chicago. That accomplishment left Williams unimpressed.

"I don't respect none of them, it don't matter who it is," he said. "The media wants to blow them up, they go to Pro Bowls, you all want to bump the guy up. Kreutz, he ain't nothing but a joke. He's been a big joke since he came in the league. I've never respected that guy."

Man, I wish we had a guy like that on the Bills.  All fire & brimstone, but backing it up as well.  TD, please get us a guy like that!!

495450[/snapback]

you said it, brother! as for getting us a guy like that, turns out we had one last year. he was too old and would have created cap problems, though.

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks getting rid of Phatty Patty was a good idea. Certainly not me.

495449[/snapback]

Search for some old posts from this past summer....we were gonna be fine because he was too old, too expensive, wasn't on the field that much anyway, we were returning 10 of 11 starters, London Fletcher didn't need protection, never played before Tim Anderson had it covered, oft-injured Ron Edwards had it covered, etc. Anyone who suggested otherwise was promptly rebuffed from the rose colored glasses crowd :)

Yeah, Pat's single-handedly kept the Vikings in the games they're regularly getting blown out of.  What a crock.  :)

495640[/snapback]

If you're gonna let a guy go, at least have a suitable replacement. Since they didn't, I can only assume they underrated the value of his performance to this defense. He wanted to stay and could've worked out a reasonable deal, but they never even made the effort. And we're left with another frustrating non postseason year. And the beat goes on...

you said it, brother! as for getting us a guy like that, turns out we had one last year. he was too old and would have created cap problems, though.

495455[/snapback]

So you're saying you'd rather we keep Pat than sign Holcomb, Gandy and Anderson?

Williams did exactly that for most of his Oct. 16 matchup against four-time Pro Bowl center Olin Kreutz of Chicago. That accomplishment left Williams unimpressed.

"I don't respect none of them, it don't matter who it is," he said. "The media wants to blow them up, they go to Pro Bowls, you all want to bump the guy up. Kreutz, he ain't nothing but a joke. He's been a big joke since he came in the league. I've never respected that guy."

Damn, that's some good smack there! :)

Go Pat, & God bless you & your dad,

495455[/snapback]

The problem isn't the loss of Williams, it's that they didn't put the proper complementary player in the lineup next to Adams.

Adams is a bigger/better version of Williams, a one-gap penetrating tackle who can make plays against the run and pressure the QB. Ideally, the team would have replaced Williams with a big CHEAPER two gap NT type instead of playing with two left feet like they have been the past year two years. Two very big and powerful left feet, but nonetheless, not a well coordinated pairing as they showed time and again against good running teams that took advantage of their disdain for gap control.

Give the Bills a stout NT, and London Fletcher and Angelo Crowell would actually look like decent LB's and Schobel and Kelsay would actually get a chance to just fly upfield on 3rd down without worrying about who's covering for Flapjack Anderson.

Instead, the Bills DON'T have that player, and so they ask Adams to play two-gap and do the dirty work to pick up the slack for the absolute garbage scrubs they've been marching into the lineup next to him, and he ain't down with it. Either way, it doesn't work, and it's a tricky spot for the coaching staff because Adams defied them last year and turned in a season the Bills haven't seen from a DT since Ted Washington's 1997 contract year.

Yeah, Pat's single-handedly kept the Vikings in the games they're regularly getting blown out of.  What a crock.  :ph34r:

495640[/snapback]

whoa there darin. just cuz a defense sucks has nothing to do with the performance of a single player. you watch enough football to know that, right?

The problem isn't the loss of Williams, it's that they didn't put the proper complementary player in the lineup next to Adams.

Adams is a bigger/better version of Williams, a one-gap penetrating tackle who can make plays against the run and pressure the QB.  Ideally, the team would have replaced Williams with a big CHEAPER two gap NT type instead of playing with two left feet like they have been the past year two years.  Two very big and powerful left feet, but nonetheless, not a well coordinated pairing as they showed time and again against good running teams that took advantage of their disdain for gap control.

Give the Bills a stout NT, and London Fletcher and Angelo Crowell would actually look like decent LB's and Schobel and Kelsay would actually get a chance to just fly upfield on 3rd down without worrying about who's covering for Flapjack Anderson.

Instead, the Bills DON'T have that player, and so they ask Adams to play two-gap and do the dirty work to pick up the slack for the absolute garbage scrubs they've been marching into the lineup next to him, and he ain't down with it.  Either way, it doesn't work, and it's a tricky spot for the coaching staff because Adams defied them last year and turned in a season the Bills haven't seen from a DT since Ted Washington's 1997 contract year.

496012[/snapback]

hmmm, badol. i pretty much always defer to you, but this strikes me as sophistry. you're arguing that the fact that williams is gone isn't the issue - it's that er don't have the right guy next to your boy - and the guy you've been plugging since the end of the 01 season - sam adams. don't you think it's about time that adams did what he was freakin' told? and don't you think it's time to recognize that williams was a good run stopper??

Letting Pat Williams leave was a good decision.  While he may have helped the Bills THIS season, odds are he'll decline soon and with the money he got, that would have been an albatross.

495638[/snapback]

You know..MadBuffalo Disease...sometimes in this crazy wacky life of ours--you have to actually go for the gusto in the moment--and not keep pushing this imaginary football plan out into next season after next season after next season.Its worked great for TD and Ralph so far huhh???--Ralph will be dead before this'planning one step ahead' bares fruit.

You know..MadBuffalo Disease...sometimes in this crazy wacky life of ours--you have to actually go for the gusto in the moment--and not keep pushing this imaginary football plan out into next season after next season after next season.Its worked great for TD and Ralph so far huhh???--Ralph will be dead before this'planning one step ahead' bares fruit.

At best WITH PW, the Bills were looking at a playoff berth, but no way were they going to win a SB. And it's entirely possible that PW declines next year given his age, but still saddles the team with a huge cap hit. Plus if they signed PW, they don't sign some of the other UFA's and probably don't get McGee locked-up.

At best WITH PW, the Bills were looking at a playoff berth, but no way were they going to win a SB.  And it's entirely possible that PW declines next year given his age, but still saddles the team with a huge cap hit.  Plus if they signed PW, they don't sign some of the other UFA's and probably don't get McGee locked-up.

496132[/snapback]

you really think the bills are going to compete for a super bowl in the next 3 years?