Fear of Flying

gantrules

Flying rules!!

I love to fly but didn't used to.  I used to have this problem with the total loss of control over ones destiny when in an airplane.  You know, the plumitting to earth and not being able to do anything.  Then some strange noise which I'm sure is the wing/tail/nose falling off, etc, etc would happen and really freak me out.

Well, I took a drastic step to end my fears.  I decided to learn about planes, and flying.  I actually learned how to fly!!!! 

You can take a first lesson for less than $100 and if you are confident and seem to get it, the instructor will let you do all the flying.  Now I have a much better understanding of how planes work, and when the young hottie next to me on a flight is freaking out because there is one of those strange noises, I can calmly say, nothing to worry about, it just the flaps, landing gear, (wing falling off)), etc. 

Take a flying lesson, and lose some fear of flying.

493865[/snapback]

I don't travel that far that often, but I'll keep it in mind.

To drink or not to drink? Alcohol makes me hyper so that won't work.

Yeah, I'm calling the doc and seeing if I can get some pills. Man, I'd much rather drive. It's only 6-7 hours but work won't let me....

493872[/snapback]

Well, if booze won't work, then drugs will have to be the answer!

Well, if booze won't work, then drugs will have to be the answer!

493883[/snapback]

I fly over 100,000 miles a year, and am scraed for most of them. For me, a few drinks does wonders. Also, now matter how hard it is to do, you must make your logical mind take over your emotional side. Know that flying is much safer than driving down 95 at 80 miles an hr.

BTW, the Zanax works for me when boozing not an option. Oh yeah, you said six hr drive? Im a driving thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't flown in seven years but have to fly to NJ in two weeks for a conference. My palms are sweating just typing this, it's not so much the flying, it's the cramped space. I get it in elevators and when I'm around a ton of people in cramped quarters too.

I'm curious if anyone else here gets these irrational fears and if so what do you do about it if you are forced to fly? Will the doctor prescribe anything?

493744[/snapback]

I'd recommend bringing a copy of the bills-pats game. The agony will be so great you will completely forget where you are and will forget your fear of flying!

Im with BB! I used to be somewhat fearful of flying, because I always though the plane was hanging in the air JUST BARELY. That is, until I flew myself. Its friggin easier and takes less actual effort than driving does! And youd be downright amazed at how stable and unstressed an aircraft in flight is, even at slow speeds.

Id venture to say that at cruise, an aircraft is more stable and under less actual physical stress than either a car on pavement or a boat on water.

That should cover the actual flight. The rest of the experience, well...airline travel now ranks up there with bus travel in terms of convenience and comfort.

Im with BB! I used to be somewhat fearful of flying, because I always though the plane was hanging in the air JUST BARELY. That is, until I flew myself. Its friggin easier and takes less actual effort than driving does! And youd be downright amazed at how stable and unstressed an aircraft in flight is, even at slow speeds.

Id venture to say that at cruise, an aircraft is more stable and under less actual physical stress than either a car on pavement or a boat on water.

That should cover the actual flight. The rest of the experience, well...airline travel now ranks up there with bus travel in terms of convenience and comfort.

493954[/snapback]

Aircraft?

The safest way to fly is undoubtedly to hop on Tedy Bruschi (We're not worthy!)'s back and have him flap his arms...

Aircraft?

The safest way to fly is undoubtedly to hop on Tedy Bruschi (We're not worthy!) (We're not worthy!)'s back and have him flap his arms...

493966[/snapback]

But he's always diverting course to save people from burning buildings and foiling bank robberies. Even though he can fly at nearly the speed of light it still takes forever to get anywhere....

Flying rules!!

I love to fly but didn't used to.  I used to have this problem with the total loss of control over ones destiny when in an airplane.  You know, the plumitting to earth and not being able to do anything.  Then some strange noise which I'm sure is the wing/tail/nose falling off, etc, etc would happen and really freak me out.

Well, I took a drastic step to end my fears.  I decided to learn about planes, and flying.  I actually learned how to fly!!!! 

You can take a first lesson for less than $100 and if you are confident and seem to get it, the instructor will let you do all the flying.  Now I have a much better understanding of how planes work, and when the young hottie next to me on a flight is freaking out because there is one of those strange noises, I can calmly say, nothing to worry about, it just the flaps, landing gear, (wing falling off)), etc. 

Take a flying lesson, and lose some fear of flying.

493865[/snapback]

Way to go. I learned to fly in the early 70's. Sure got expensive though. Once in a blue moon I get a chance to bumb a ride with a guy I know who has a Citabria.

I really wouldn't worry much Gant. you'll do fine. Me, and I'm sure several dozen other posters who have done any real military time can tell you those things will go through a lot, in some ridiculous conditions, and still most normally stop upright somewhere at the airfield they were pointed at. There are also a lot of us who travel regular for business. We're all still here and posting. The worst thing that's going to happen will probably be the 60 year old flight attendant smelling like musk with her gay 30 year old crew buddie giving you stale pretzels and dropper sized glasses of coke.

Suck it up and fly you pussies! :lol:

I'm afraid of heights and have trouble cleaning gutters, but I always try to get a window seat when I fly. Love to see the scenery and figure out where I am. I've been scared out of my wits driving and as a passenger in a car, but never in a plane.

Its the safest way to travel- the stats speak for themselves. Keep reminding yourself that. It is more dangerous walking down the street. I enjoy flying- I even love turbulence. I highly recomend that you chew gum during take off and landing and drink plenty of fluids(booze is my first choice but you might want water or juice). That will alleviate the air pressure. If I dont chew gum I get headaches. You meet lots of neat people flying too. I love airport bars and have sat next to many really interesting people during flights. Enjoy it the best you can. Bon voyage!

I haven't flown in seven years but have to fly to NJ in two weeks for a conference. My palms are sweating just typing this, it's not so much the flying, it's the cramped space. I get it in elevators and when I'm around a ton of people in cramped quarters too.

I'm curious if anyone else here gets these irrational fears and if so what do you do about it if you are forced to fly? Will the doctor prescribe anything?

493744[/snapback]

I *loathe* flying. I hate it. I get sweaty, I get dizzy, I get tense and short of breath. This goes back years. I've had meetings 600+ miles away - I drive and expense the mileage. I would drive to Los Angeles (from Atlanta) before I'd willingly get on an airplane. It comes down to a control thing, for me.

When I've HAD to fly? Double Jim Beam and coke at the airport bar.

-Jeff

seating is based on the airplane, not the airline. May i ask from where to where you fly?

493754[/snapback]

Buffalo to West Palm Beach or to Ft. Lauderdale or to Miami

Do a search for a Us Airways flight or Continental then do a search for Delta

Most Delta planes have rows of 2 on the right side of the plane....