Fear of Flying

gantrules

I haven't flown in seven years but have to fly to NJ in two weeks for a conference. My palms are sweating just typing this, it's not so much the flying, it's the cramped space. I get it in elevators and when I'm around a ton of people in cramped quarters too.

I'm curious if anyone else here gets these irrational fears and if so what do you do about it if you are forced to fly? Will the doctor prescribe anything?

I'm like that with flying, so that is why when I need to fly, I fly Delta because on most of their planes they have rows of 2 seats and not 3

493747[/snapback]

seating is based on the airplane, not the airline. May i ask from where to where you fly?

I haven't flown in seven years but have to fly to NJ in two weeks for a conference. My palms are sweating just typing this, it's not so much the flying, it's the cramped space. I get it in elevators and when I'm around a ton of people in cramped quarters too.

I'm curious if anyone else here gets these irrational fears and if so what do you do about it if you are forced to fly? Will the doctor prescribe anything?

493744[/snapback]

If you don't like cramped spaces try to get a exit row at check-in. Those extra inches make the world difference. Go to http://www.seatguru.com/ to find the good seats.

493744[/snapback]

I have no problem, but those that do, do this:

Get an aisle seat. I like 'em anyway - you can stretch your legs out.

And yep, call a doctor and explain. I've known plenty of folks that get a limited number of pills that takes the edge off. Mild stuff, but seemingly effective. Put a bottle of water in your carry-on, and some life savers or other hard candy, and a couple small bags of peanuts or some such. Munching helps.

And don't drink any alcohol or caffeine beverage.

You'll be just fine...

I can't take the taking off, once i am up in the air i am pretty fine, but that climb is a killer for me

493744[/snapback]

And yep, call a doctor and explain. I've known plenty of folks that get a limited number of pills that takes the edge off. Mild stuff, but seemingly effective. Put a bottle of water in your carry-on, and some life savers or other hard candy, and a couple small bags of peanuts or some such. Munching helps.

And don't drink any alcohol or caffeine beverage.

Excellent advice!!!!

Excellent advice!!!!

493783[/snapback]

xanax. It should be in the water supply.

Maybe, with some really serious luck, Gant, you'll get put into a seat next a 19 year old hottie twice as afraid to fly as you are. It will take your mind off it, trust me.

I'm in the "drink heavily" camp. Drinking may worsen jet lag, but SHOULD take the edge off of the "fear" part. (Of course, what works for some...) It's hard to be afraid when you're passed-out!

493744[/snapback]

Get one of these: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1099392260799

Watch some of your favorite movies and try to forget everything else..

I can't take the taking off, once i am up in the air i am pretty fine, but that climb is a killer for me

493777[/snapback]

For me it's the landing. Particularly here in Rochester, where (1) there's always low cloud cover and (2) half the time you have to swing out over the lake, come in low over downtown, and land from the north. Sometimes the ATC guys will swing you out over the lake, come in from the north, and then change their mind and tell you to land from the south instead. Man does that suck, especially when you're 1,000 feet up and still can't see the ground.

I'm in the "drink heavily" camp.  Drinking may worsen jet lag, but SHOULD take the edge off of the "fear" part.  (Of course, what works for some...)  It's hard to be afraid when you're passed-out!

493819[/snapback]

Of course, you may end up needing one of these, particularly if you're on a flight to DC and they make you stay in your seat for the last 30 minutes.

Flying rules!!

I love to fly but didn't used to. I used to have this problem with the total loss of control over ones destiny when in an airplane. You know, the plumitting to earth and not being able to do anything. Then some strange noise which I'm sure is the wing/tail/nose falling off, etc, etc would happen and really freak me out.

Well, I took a drastic step to end my fears. I decided to learn about planes, and flying. I actually learned how to fly!!!!

You can take a first lesson for less than $100 and if you are confident and seem to get it, the instructor will let you do all the flying. Now I have a much better understanding of how planes work, and when the young hottie next to me on a flight is freaking out because there is one of those strange noises, I can calmly say, nothing to worry about, it just the flaps, landing gear, (wing falling off)), etc.

Take a flying lesson, and lose some fear of flying.